FirstWatt J2

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have an offset problem (I think).

By turning all the way counterclockwise Rdg (50R trimpot) in the schematics below I can get the DC offset at the output to 80 mV with inputs floating, and 800 mV with inputs shorted.

Both channels behave the same. PSU is +/- 22.5V under load and bias current for Q5 is 1.4A.

I did use IRFP240 for Q4 and 2SJ109-BL for Q2-Q3. I do not have the BOM on the laptop to check other values at the moment.

What should I look into to reduce the offset?

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 18.48.17.png

Joined 2009
Paid Member
For the FE CCS (Q1 in EUVL schematics in #1393) I have 2 pairs of 2SK170-BL to choose from with idss of 8.51 and 8.52 mA, and 8.97 and 9.25 mA.

Which pair is the best for the job and is the answer related somehow to the what is said below?
Nelson recommended around 8-10mA for the pair doing the CCS for the J-Fets. so he took two SK170 GR adding to the 8-10mA.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Do you think this sounds like a crazy idea? Building two J2's and wiring them for the option of balanced (bridged) operation. I have enough Fet's to build two. My speakers need a little more drive than a single J2 can provide I'm afraid. I know I'm probably giving up dominant second for third. Anything else I should consider?

Do you think this sounds like a crazy idea? Building two J2's and wiring them for the option of balanced (bridged) operation. I have enough Fet's to build two. My speakers need a little more drive than a single J2 can provide I'm afraid. I know I'm probably giving up dominant second for third. Anything else I should consider?
If the J2 has enough output voltage to get the spl you want, build a crippled F4 and put it between the J2 and your speakers.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Kevin… are you running out of gain, or clipping your amp?
Well, neither to my knowledge...it's just my experience that an amp with more wattage and a high damping factor produces a better sounding mid-bass/bass with my speakers. Some smart a** may say "get different speakers" but I've listened to many speakers of differing type's and keep coming back to what I have.

Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
100% on board with build around your speakers. They are the hardest part to get right.

There’s nothing wrong with the idea of trying bridge J2 monos. How will you drive them? Have you got an XLR out preamp? Transformer? Bridging adaptor of some other kind? Lots of ways to do it.

Well, neither to my knowledge...it's just my experience that an amp with more wattage and a high damping factor produces a better sounding mid-bass/bass with my speakers. Some smart a** may say "get different speakers" but I've listened to many speakers of differing type's and keep coming back to what I have.
Kevin,

This is my experience with why a more powerful amp has better control of the mid-bass/bass. It's mostly that the power supply of a higher wattage amp has more current available, lower impedance , not so much the higher voltage swing.
The other factor, lower output impedance (higher damping factor) could be achieved with a little feedback.

Rush