First Watt F7 review

I’d live to find a First Watt clone chassis for my next build! The 4U here is nice and all but *******’ huge! :yikes:

Nowadays some folks are using active cooling (CPU heat-sink and fan) with their Class A amplifier builds - that is one way of reducing weight, size, and cost of the chassis + heat-sink required. However, not everybody likes the idea of fans in their audio amplifier, plus a big chassis can look good too. ;)

Nowadays some folks are using active cooling (CPU heat-sink and fan) with their Class A amplifier builds - that is one way of reducing weight, size, and cost of the chassis + heat-sink required. However, not everybody likes the idea of fans in their audio amplifier, plus a big chassis can look good too. ;)

I'm one of those no fan people! I like my music room DEAD quiet! ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see cloned chassis with the HiFi 2000 drill patterns used here in the DIY Store.

Ebay definitely not responsive. Sold a working older Canon digital camera to someone, claimed it didn't work, after refunding all of the money, it suddenly is working and Ebay says sorry case closed. Out, money and camera and they still got their cut.

To add onto Nelson's' post, it costs him time and money to pursue TM violations, and when you involve on-line commerce and international law and boundaries, it gets to be even more of a pain in the keister for Pass or First Watt. Thus, as far as this community and forum goes, I would suggest we all respect Nelson's IP and not buy, and remind friends not to buy, this copy cat dog poop. Quite frankly it is money out of Nelson's pocket, and there is also a principle involved, and basically the breaking of a law and a trust. If someone came into your life and stole an item you owned, you would not be happy.

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_075350.jpg
    IMG_20190321_075350.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 1,118
Joined 2000
Paid Member
In a circuit like the f7 with no caps and being so simple, what could cause a light FM static that goes in and out with no pattern and sometimes stops completely? Only in one channel. Just started one day.
Doesn't affect audio signal or output.

My list of reasons:

Bad solder joint
Bad pot wiper
Power supply cap bad
Bad jfet or lateral mosfet

I rebuilt the power supply with same parts for other reasons but problem still exists.
PS board is now dual +/-. Wire and parts wiggling didn't change static.
Problem still in same channel. PS parts reinstalled randomly. PS unlikely the problem.

Any thought?

In a circuit like the f7 with no caps and being so simple, what could cause a light FM static that goes in and out with no pattern and sometimes stops completely? Only in one channel. Just started one day.
Doesn't affect audio signal or output.

My list of reasons:

Bad solder joint
Bad pot wiper
Power supply cap bad
Bad jfet or lateral mosfet

I rebuilt the power supply with same parts for other reasons but problem still exists.
PS board is now dual +/-. Wire and parts wiggling didn't change static.
Problem still in same channel. PS parts reinstalled randomly. PS unlikely the problem.

Any thought?

Did you put a new,different p.s. board in recently?