First watt F2j with SJDP120R085

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I spec heavy copper, which means different things to different vendors,
and the trace width is usually whatever fits the space I'm working with.

The main thing is, I don't get too excited about it, as the resistance values
are always lower than the other stuff in the circuit.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• OLD BULL YOUNG BULL.jpg
    OLD BULL YOUNG BULL.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 360
The SJEP could be thought of as an enhancement mode JFET, hence the "E" in SJEP. Since there aren't a lot of affordable power JFETs in production, you'll be probably looking for a SiC mosfet. Have a look at the part you're replacing and try to find something with similar (or lower) capacitance, Vgs, and transconductance. The F2 isn't a super fussy circuit. Try some stuff.

Will this Fet SCT10N120 a better option than SJEP ?
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/SCT10N120/497-16597-5-ND/6137190
Half the Ciss of SJEP120R

Last edited:
of course that you can ....... but in this case SJDP is taking role of invisible part , while mosfet is still governing one .......... and entire circuit would remain (almost) same in sound character

practically -

Dear ZM,

Do you speak theoretically of from practical experience?
I ask because I will start cascoding all my amps, when time allows.. :(

The Sony TA-N7 sounds like a VFET amp and the small BJTs seam to be transparent...

Thanks,
M.

Hi

Couldn't find the R100 so just bought some Wolfspeed C2M0280120D.

For the power supply would a quiet 24Vdc, 5A (120W) per channel SMPS sufficient ?

My load is a 8 ohm full range. I have read on this forum that the amp draws at idle 35W per channel and somewhere else 75W. Which one is right so I can size my heatsinks properly?

Thanks for your help.
Eric

Last edited:
Thanks ZM,

So 75W dissipation for 5W output, correct ?

Is there a way to reduce bias from 2.7A if I'm only using 8 ohm speakers. Is the bias rated for 8 and 4 ohm load ?

F2 is rated 5W @ 8ohm and 10W @ 4 ohm, of course the 4 ohm load needs more current.

I'd really like to try the F2 but not if it requires 75W dissipation/ch.

Thanks,
Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.