• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

I could try the SQ difference between 10k pot between DAC (approx. 50 Ohm output impedance) and FO in comparison with DAC directly. But if the outcome of this comparison is likely to be in favour of no pot, I will look for a solution in that direction.

In my DAC I can quite easily adapt volume control before line stage. :)

2 Pcs. SMPS1200A400 ordered up! :)

Mark.

Yes, volume controle in front of an output buffer is a correct way. ;)

Two SMPS1200A400 :up:

Yes, volume controle in front of an output buffer is a correct way. ;)

It's a tube stage, so with moving the volume control before the output stage, I will introduce more noise in situation where the output is attenuated. That's the only disadvantage I can think of.

Looking at the gain of your amp, I will not need massive attenuation for "normal" listening levels, as my DAC max. output voltage is quite low.

P.S. Received the FO modules this morning! :)

Mark.

L.C. which speakers are you using for your tests?
Some of them you can see here, two PD.2450 subhorns sub my living room. Avangarde Acoustic Trio + Sub Horn, Focal Scala. :)

Others for testing purposes are on pics: Zu Audio Soul Supreme, Thiel CS2.4, Gallus Audio Staccato. ;)

Attachments

• Zu Audio Soul-Supreme.jpg
    Zu Audio Soul-Supreme.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 670
  • Thiel CS2.4 loudspeaker.jpg
    Thiel CS2.4 loudspeaker.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 660
  • Gallus_zvocniki_STACCATO.jpg
    Gallus_zvocniki_STACCATO.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
It's a tube stage, so with moving the volume control before the output stage, I will introduce more noise in situation where the output is attenuated. That's the only disadvantage I can think of.

Looking at the gain of your amp, I will not need massive attenuation for "normal" listening levels, as my DAC max. output voltage is quite low.

P.S. Received the FO modules this morning! :)

Mark.

Well if it's tube stage, noise floor level will be set by its performance, hopefully it is not higher than -80 dB.

Usually preamps have volume control in the middle of topology ensuring low Zout by output buffer.