• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Any concern with using 0.1mm thickness?
Make sure your cooler surface is perfectly smooth, mirror flat, and don't forget a good thermal past on the two sides of the Mica insulator (some computer's CPU ones are near perfect).
But, if i my feeling is right about the way L.C works, isolators, i suppose, are provided with the First one ?
[edit] Oops L.C. was faster ;-)

Last edited:
Hi Eric

Correct type is TO-264, size 20 x 25 mm. ;)

Mica thickness is usually 0.075 mm, so 0,1 mm should be fine. Use thermal grease coated thinly on each surface separately. ;)

Thanks LC,

I quickly search and TO-264 comes in 22 x 28mm and the TO-247 is 20x25. Hence my previous assumption for the package.

By the way, what would you think of ceramic insulator ?

But, if i my feeling is right about the way L.C works, isolators, i suppose, are provided with the First one ?
Nope, at least could not find these inside my box hence my asking.

By the way, what would you think of ceramic insulator ?

Self remark to myself, these wont work mechanically with FO because of their thickness unless same height compensation is made on others transistors.

For the thermal grease, one needs to make sure it is non-conductive electrically and application can be tricky to get good results and not to break the mica insulator.

I received a nice box from Slovenia today! Two gorgeous First One red modules, impeccable assembly and quality! Stupid customs opened the boxes... :(

LC, I have a few questions for ya:
- in bridge mode, what would be the lower speaker load suggested
- If I power the modules at 42V, do I have to rebias or re-adjust anything?
- What transformer model/brand would you suggest for non-balanced signal input in bridge mode?

A BIG Thank You LC!!! :D

Do

Hypex caps

I asked Hypex if it was possible to get their SMPS1200A400 with Mundorf caps, or any other 'good audio' brand, instead of the poor Samwha. (It is so stupid to lose money and time, recaping, for those looking for the best).
Here the answer i got:
"We cannot modify the SMPS1200 with these ecaps. We only sell this SMPS as it is."

Last edited:
I asked Hypex if it was possible to get their SMPS1200A400 with Mundorf caps, or any other 'good audio' brand, instead of the poor Samwha. (It is so stupid to lose money and time, recaping, for those looking for the best).
Here the answer i got:
"We cannot modify the SMPS1200 with these ecaps. We only sell this SMPS as it is."

Looks like they didn't even replace them in the Grimm speakers. So maybe just maybe they are not terrible to listen too :D

I received a nice box from Slovenia today! Two gorgeous First One red modules, impeccable assembly and quality! Stupid customs opened the boxes... :(

LC, I have a few questions for ya:
- in bridge mode, what would be the lower speaker load suggested
- If I power the modules at 42V, do I have to rebias or re-adjust anything?
- What transformer model/brand would you suggest for non-balanced signal input in bridge mode?

A BIG Thank You LC!!! :D

Do

Hi Dominic

Nice to hear that you like what you see hehe :cool:

Well customs guys are very curious, some day you know what, if curiosity killed the cat so ... :bomb: :faint: :D

Now to the questions:
- in bridge mode min 4 Ohm impedance is recommended, meaning 4 Ohm in average if looking impedance curve, so it can also be less than 3 Ohm somewhere in the bass region, but that's OK if the average is still around 4 Ohm. The limit here is the output current which is 16 Amax and if looking to SOAR chart of the outputs, you can see these are very robust semis, at 100 Vdc they still easily sink/source 2,5 A :eek:
- since the modules are calibrated at +/- 63 V, at +/-42 V idle current would be a little bit lower, but still recalibration back to 280 mA (complete module's idle current) can easily be readjusted by trimmer TR3
- definitely LL1540 Lundahl line input transformer

In bridge mode at +/- 42 V PSU voltage you would easily get 500 W/4 Ohm and still be well in a SOAR. :cool:

Attachments

• SOAR.jpg
    SOAR.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 960
  • LL1540 Lundahl Input Transformer.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 69
Hi Do,

if you re not willing to go with Lundhal, I have in the past considered the Edcor.
I have at home 2 XS4400 quad filler which I could sent you for test

Hi maxidcx!

Since I only have two modules for the moment I will not need for now but I will most definitely buy more later. Will let you know, thanks for the offer!

Ciao!
Do

Hi Dominic

Nice to hear that you like what you see hehe :cool:

Well customs guys are very curious, some day you know what, if curiosity killed the cat so ... :bomb: :faint: :D

Now to the questions:
- in bridge mode min 4 Ohm impedance is recommended, meaning 4 Ohm in average if looking impedance curve, so it can also be less than 3 Ohm somewhere in the bass region, but that's OK if the average is still around 4 Ohm. The limit here is the output current which is 16 Amax and if looking to SOAR chart of the outputs, you can see these are very robust semis, at 100 Vdc they still easily sink/source 2,5 A :eek:
- since the modules are calibrated at +/- 63 V, at +/-42 V idle current would be a little bit lower, but still recalibration back to 280 mA (complete module's idle current) can easily be readjusted by trimmer TR3
- definitely LL1540 Lundahl line input transformer

In bridge mode at +/- 42 V PSU voltage you would easily get 500 W/4 Ohm and still be well in a SOAR. :cool:

Thanks LC!
Do

Catal... Please remind the words of LC "Guys don't be fooled with a small size of the First One modules possibly holding in your hands just now, got to know this: this is a very BIG amplifier considering sound signature, be prepared to be strongly surprised immediately after turning this little beast alive."

Mount Etna isn't a beast you want to wake up!...:)

(have fun!)