• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Come on guys, this thread is going all wrong. Let's get serious again.
..all wrong, don't think so. I find threads in solid state part of the forum going much more wrong, showing ultra low THD shots, measuring equipment for mega bucks .., but not showing their systems for voicing.

That is all wrong!

Measuring is just basics, meaning nothing without listening corrections to schematics and for this part of R&D best possible DAC, speakers, cabling.. are inevitable. :yes:

Analog DAC enabled me making FO L sounding even better than expected, every little tweak could be evaluated with ease. Very happy with the 'tools' available. :)

This O.T. really is on-topic since probably you all will want to upgrade your sources after building the First One V1.4.

I am waiting for my new "Mosaic UV" USB DAC from -ECDesigns- based on novel ternary logic with many tricks to reduce digital interference to minimum levels.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ding-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-229.html

Post #5725 and beyond.

I expect great things from this one. :D

Cheers,
M.

Let's talk DACs

..R&D best possible DAC, speakers, cabling.. are inevitable. :yes:

It is exciting to know that these First One modules can dig this deep! :D And for this kind of $$$. :worship:

This O.T. really is on-topic since probably you all will want to upgrade your sources after building the First One V1.4.

Yes, I am working on that one, source is a bigger "need" then my next speaker build. I compared some full-range drivers I am considering for my next build, and they sounded more similiar then different, I am wondering once I have them all EQed via DSP if I will notice any difference at all. First One really takes command and brings out the best in ANY speaker... ;)

And it also brings out the worse of the source. :eek:

Yeah, and they sell an isolation base for $1995. Most of us can build a killer DAC for this kind of money.

I feel You mbrennwa. There is no way on God's green earth that I will be able to spend $7K on a DAC, esp considering I need four of them for eight channels. :eek: But, I am glad Lazy has access to this level of equipment to refine his modules. :up:

I would be interested to know of some proven DIY killer DACs one could build. How close can we get to a commercial build like the Analog DAC?

Lazy mentioned the "S8 upsampler DAC", how does that compare to the EC Designs "Mosaic UV" USB DAC?

I am building the Buffalo III kit, because it is bought and paid for. It is at the level of soldering I can do. I have been enjoying building it. I also like the flexibility of trying different output stages, including tube based, if I desire. This may not be the ultimate DAC for First One, but I am sure it is significantly better then what I have. :)

I would be very interested to know what DACs others have enjoyed with their First One builds...

Good luck trying to get an answer from Lazy Cat.

I sent him a PM last week, and an email at the beginning of this week.

He's been busy trying to pick fights since then but couldn't bother answering my questions.

I wanted to buy 4 FOs, but I will be looking elsewhere.
Can't imagine the abysmal support I would get from a guy who does not want to answer selling questions, but still shows up around this forum to stir things around with others.

Each has priorities I guess.

Mine is to get amps. Not FOs, it seems.
Moving on....

Hi Perceval,

It took Andrej a few days to respond to my email with a price query for an order.

This is the second time I have bought modules, the first lot arrived quickly were well packed so I had no doubts on buying more.

I can understand you not wanting to put your money into something your not sure about, but the First One modules really are very good and I don't know of any other ready made modules that sound as good in the same price range.

Maybe give Andrej another try as I don't think you will regret buying the modules. There is also a fair amount of collected knowledge and most queries get answered on this thread when they come up.

Either way good luck with your amps

Eriend thank you for your comment regarding the comparison of the First One and Holten 500. Did your friend give any details regarding why he liked the First One versus the Holten? I have been looking at the Holten 300 but based on your comment and others support of the First One Module, I am now leaning toward getting the First One Module. Thanks again for your comment and any additional information helpful in making my decision. Thanks Greg

Hi Gbatokai
I'm glad you find the First One project interesting for you, looking forward to see your end product. And now to the answers:
1. Yes, Monolith chassis is in final phase and will be offered here in second half of August. Chassis price per two monobloks will be around 200 EUR, prepared for First One M, SMPS1200A400 and DC sense. It will be possible to buy assembled Monolith amplifier too.
2. Yes, Cap Bank PCB on my PC screen at the moment, will suit two four-pin M-Lytic per rail, meaning two boards will be needed for one FO M or L module.
3. That was chassis connection diagram drawn for previous version. Please see attached First One M v1.4 User Manual where you can find actual chassis connecton diagram.
4. Yes, voltage gain will stay the same: Vout=24,4*Vin, ie. +27,75 dB
Best regards, L.C. :cheers:

Thanks for the answers! With the Monolith predrilled chassis, building a set of monoblocks will be a breeze. I drilled and threaded heatsinks for an amplifier build some years ago, but didn't particularly enjoy it.

Do you know if there will the be room for the extra cap banks in the Monolith chassis? I guess I might be doing some drilling and threading anyway... ;)

Cheers! :)

Eriend thank you for your comment regarding the comparison of the First One and Holten 500. Did your friend give any details regarding why he liked the First One versus the Holten? I have been looking at the Holten 300 but based on your comment and others support of the First One Module, I am now leaning toward getting the First One Module. Thanks again for your comment and any additional information helpful in making my decision. Thanks Greg
Observe and compare complexity/number of active parts present on both modules, it's immediately obvious that Holton 500 is much simpler design. Not saying that's inherently bad, but First One amplifier was made complex for a good reason.

Thanks for the answers! With the Monolith predrilled chassis, building a set of monoblocks will be a breeze. I drilled and threaded heatsinks for an amplifier build some years ago, but didn't particularly enjoy it.

Do you know if there will the be room for the extra cap banks in the Monolith chassis? I guess I might be doing some drilling and threading anyway... ;)

Cheers! :)
Monolith monoblock chassis was designed to be compact, located near loudspeaker, connected with short speaker cables, therefore no extra space inside to place cap banks.

Observe and compare complexity/number of active parts present on both modules, it's immediately obvious that Holton 500 is much simpler design. Not saying that's inherently bad, but First One amplifier was made complex for a good reason.

I have built alot of Holton amps, i know they are very good, but yours is next ;-)
When L verison is on the market and some stuff is sold :)

Leikis, Thank you for your comments. It is difficult for me to know what to buy since i am unable to listen to an amp with the different modules before buying. I have communicated with Anthony at Holten and he has been very supportive. Based on Eriend's friends comments I assume that the FO module will sound as good or better than the Holten module. The nice thing about the FO amp versus the Holten amp is that the FO amp will be little over US$300 cheaper (more money to spend on more projects later).

In your note you mentioned that you were interested in the L version. What is the L version and how does it differ from the current 1.4 version?

Thanks again for your help.

Greg