Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Options

This is for Kiwis & Ozies,

JVC Aus has just taken over JVC NZ, like just recently. When products don't sell and new models are coming out, the stores will heavally discount the old stock. If it still does not sell or it has been returned or damaged, it goes back to a warehouse. You can contact them at this email address and ask if they have any old stock available. This has just been told to me buy a lady at JVC Aust. Like me in N.Z it won't be worth doing as the freight will kill you. But Ozzies can try it out.

internetorders@hagemeyer.com.au

good luck.

Yet again I wish I was back in Oz......:bawling:

P.S if that email address doesn't check out, try and do a search for the company Hagemeyer' and get in touch with them.

Brett.

P.P.S I just found the site: www.hagemeyer.com.au

It seems they have a parent company called www.hagemeyer.com maybe they stock JVC parts in other countries as well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
SamL said:
JVC RC-EZ33 in NZ by smartsales. Not cheap but in stock.
http://www.smartsales.co.nz/?p=productsMore&iProduct=52&sName=JVC-RC-EZ33

Look very similar to EZ31 but have added feature - Programme (20 Tracks).
Anyone know what this feature is? Tuner, CD?

Don't know what the feature is specifically, however I have noticed that neither the RCEZ31 or RCEZ32 support MP3 playback best as I have been able to determine whereas the RCEZ33 definitely does - this is a good indication that this unit does not have the same cd player processor board, and is probably not a good candidate for this project. This is my educated guess, but based on that suspicion I would not buy the '33..

thank you very much Peter for sharing all the
things about this wonderful CD-Transport .
I recieved my boombox today from schlecker .
The shipping was very fast !
The JVC is not so bad as boombox , very detailed
and high resolution , for such a cheap thing .

Greetings from Germany
Jürgen

Thanks Peter, got mine up and running:D .
A couple of questions before I go any further. On the mods pdf, what is the jumper from 5A to 5B for, does it bypass a transistor?
Second question, when you use a two legged Oscillator, do you need to add caps to the centre, B position?
Thanks again..
PS, I have no idea were to put the display and buttons yet.:confused:

Attachments

• jvc1.jpg
    jvc1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 6,147
With the crystal, in most cases the additional caps are not needed. I tried it with the caps (10pF or so), but they affected the sonics in a way I didn't like:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Depending on the crystal type, without the caps some people experienced skipping or problems with TOC read out. In such cases I would recommend adding 3 twisted wires which will produce required capacitance without the signature of regular caps:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 5A to 5B wire is for PS connection right after Q902 to the rest of the circuit; I cut some traces when I was experimenting with different supply setups and decided to connect it this way afterwards. It is not really needed, but maybe beneficial in some ways.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Peter,
I like the "gimmick" cap you came up with for the crystal. I ordered the same type you are using for mine. I take it you have not encountered this problem with the citizen crystals you are using.

I will post pictures of the RCEZ32 boardset once I receive the unit, hopefully disassembly will confirm that the boards are the same or utilize the same chipset.

Kevin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Based on USPS tracking number I might have my boombox by Saturday, just left the Springfield MA facility so it should be in Boston today and Quincy tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. :nod:

I'll post the score once I get the unit apart, hopefully this is another unit people can purchase as a donor for the mechanism and board sets.