Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

hi tvicol,

is it possible for you to clear some space in your mailbox?

i have a question for you on how to make my lt1763 not oscillate (i saw you had some experience with it)...i wonder if you could share some tips if you can and want to.

regards,

-pierre

Sorry for this. I made some space now.
About LT1763, solution was to add a ceramic 100nF and 47uF tantalum at output. Any other low ESR cap will work as well, Oscon, Polymer etc.

Regards,
Tibi

Hello Tibi,

thanks again for the great offer - I should have been one of the first sucessors :)

At the moment I am waiting on your reply if you can deliver the additional parts for the mods.

Meanwhile I have a technical question:

in the 1st Shiga version a heatsink was mandatory for the LA6541 but it seems that it is not needed for the mk2 - is this correct ?

Thanks !

Christoph

Hello Tibi,

thanks again for the great offer - I should have been one of the first sucessors :)

At the moment I am waiting on your reply if you can deliver the additional parts for the mods.

Meanwhile I have a technical question:

in the 1st Shiga version a heatsink was mandatory for the LA6541 but it seems that it is not needed for the mk2 - is this correct ?

Thanks !

Christoph

Thanks !
On Shiga MKII, dissipation area was extended on top and bottom PCB layers. There is no need for LA6541 to have a heatsink.

Regards,
Tibi

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Donor models

Think I just killed my donor pcb (JVC RC EZ-51) the other day. Was doing some mods but did not do them incrementally - when will I learn!!

So even with rewind I was not able to recover (YET! I will not give up!).

I was trying to pinch analogue signals direct from LC chip because signal tracks had got messed up when removing decoupling caps BUT I was not counting from the correct corner of the ic and ended up soldering to the wrong legs of the chip - think this might have shorted something and cooked it?

Have time to look at it all again this evening now that i will be counting legs from the right place. Can trace power to the motors and around the place but not getting any display or spindle kick, laser joggles or anything that looks like a cdp searching for a cd

This all in preparation for receipt of Shiga MkII - having been listening to my EZ51 shiga with minimal mods I can't bear to now listen to my lampified-NAD541i as it sounds so kludgy in comparison - so looking forward to the Vicol Audio Shiga Black version.

I still want to have a working model from a donor boombox to play with.

Anyway looking around for possible new donors in the UK and as you know they are scarce on the ground these days but do appear occasionally. Certainly none that I can find today in the UK but some in mainland Europe (any one living in or near 36039 Hessen - Fulda can help me by picking up the ropey old RC EZ31 for sale there at the moment!!??)

I remember seeing a list of confirmed donor makes/models somewhere but have not been able to find it. Anyone know of a list?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I've seen a few ez31 and ez32 go up on ebay in the the past few months. Atleast 5 of them and the price was $40-$50.

Thanks. Yes, i keep a watch on ebay.co.uk and will just bide my time. Actually now that you mention ebay.com - I have a brother in the States who I would trust to strip out the required parts so I will keep an eye out there. Good idea!

Sorry if that's been discussed before, but would this be the laser and drive unit as it's being used in the original Shigaraki player ?

--> ebay

I actually own the Shigaraki, I admit, and am looking for a replacement unit I can just pop in .
There is very little information on 47 labs gear available, so I hope you can help me out .