Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

QFT guys... I would love to see this thread more active...

BTW I have just tried Erik's "antiscate" thingy and I can confirm it makes a significant difference. I an word, the sound has more authority. Especially nice in piano sessions.

I really do not feel comfortable with the weight solution though... if someone moves the transport it can get ugly. Something like a spring or a rubber band would be safer if we can find one that has the right tension and does not alter it in different positions of the sled.

How many grams did you finally get Dimitris.
How do you mean ugly, the worst thing is that if someone bumps into it the small weight bounces around...no harm in that is there ??

It was more like proof of concept. I did not really experiment with different weights. I used a 9gr bolt I found around, and some teflon string to hang it.
I could not find a proper spot to attach it, so I ended up making a noose that went around the plastic case of the eye.
I kind of liked this approach because it also adds some vibration damping to the plastic casing of the eye. I can post a photo if it s not clear.

True, I guess with some carefully designed guides, the string should be safe too. As you said it should be allowed only to just dangle around

Tibi's is far from being modded in a sense that leaves no room for more stuff. In fact it is very close to the original.

The layout of the laser pcb is this

attachment.php

Taken from the service manual of the JVC boombox

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 439
Hi,

Has anybody an electrical layout of the Sanyo laser pins ?

Dimitris I would make the connection on the black rectangular worm(wheel)...very easy and a perfect spot/space.
If you manually turn the big white wormwheel clockwise the rectangular comes out and you see what I mean.

Here is datasheet http://vicol-audio.ro/docs/DA11VZ.pdf

Regards,
tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I have not been contributing due to a complete lack of time, I appreciate and follow the work you are doing. It is always nice to see your progress and I hope to apply your experience once I have time and cash. So, no the thread isn't dead, but maybe slowed down for a while. :)

Thanks guy for the laser layout and compliments...lets keep the most interesting topic in the world alive, be it in a slow pace at the moment.

Dimitris I disagree :D

I think the Tibi board can be modified (made better) and as soon as it has a few revisions and (for me) has no (little) minors I will most certainly give it a shot.

At the moment I am still learning how to improve this "old school contraption" ;)

Btw I somehow seemed to have lost the service manual and the old links seem not to work.
Do you still have it Dimitris...could still be helpfull even with the few mistakes in it.

Last edited:
Did anyone build the shiga into a very small chassis a bit like acoustic plan did with their drivemaster (using cdm 2 pro)..trying to figure out how to fit everysting. Erik you have done great platework but any great places to find smaller but great chassis.

I have not seen something like that, and to be honest I see a few practical problems. Like the off-center placement of the spindle and the bigish pcb.

If you do not mind an of-center spindle look, it should be feasible though. Just pu the control pcb below the mecha, like in the original.