Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

250 hours for a cable....wow...

I thought I was "mad" by making a 30 hour work interlink (incl plug)

Must be very rewarding...I myself build only for my person...but rewarding it can be....a couple of months ago it was a clear winner against an expensive Audionote cable..

I use this on my Dac with the PiTbull....

Here a pic....silver-ricepaper-cotton-silk...the whole show :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I also did something like that thinking that it was a good idea to separate the wires for each motor. I never did a proper A-B sound check, but it made sense to isolate each motor to prevent crosstalk and interference.
I used silver ribbon cable separated in pairs.

The plan is to eventually use shielded twinax silver cable and override the pcb altogether getting the wires straight to the motors.

250 hours for a cable....wow...

I thought I was "mad" by making a 30 hour work interlink (incl plug)

Must be very rewarding...I myself build only for my person...but rewarding it can be....a couple of months ago it was a clear winner against an expensive Audionote cable..

I use this on my Dac with the PiTbull....

Here a pic....silver-ricepaper-cotton-silk...the whole show :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

I can't open the photo above.Obviously I crashed the forum system with my clumsy upload actions today:D.It start to open it but can't do more than that.Can you upload it once again?
Yes this is industrial cables truth ,overpriced like whole audio industry which is feed by manufacturers efforts and we can only try to do better things by our self.Overpricing is not the problem but undervalue very often is and you end with frustration and money loss because the cable have left the store shelf and don't cost so much anymore.Sad.When you have a clear idea of what you want from the product the chances for success are big.I mean sound success of course.
Nature have offered to as everything.We just have to put the things together be it rice paper ,cotton or silk with help of the intuition and physics.It can take a years depending of the desired target.I developed entry level which is easy one and it can be done in less than 100 hours but my personal target is much higher so I went more complex way and come to 250 hours .It is not only the cable but resonant chassis with sub chassis which can be tuned from 1 to more hz like everything in our systems and this way I got mechanical harmony between the components.Energy must travel and we can't destroy it because it only change the form but it's alive in our system - room until we switch of the music.If not the electricity bill would not exist.Maybe all this sounds like metaphysics regarding the cables but I also have bettered the second best proclaimed cable in the world with ease which compared to mine sounds anemic and the music through it is only a crude information without sense and vibration ,bitter words of the cables owner.The transport is the result of cable contemplations and vice-versa.
The ribbon elimination and solid silver upgrade wasn't much audible if any at all but the sled motor wires twisting was a lot.Again ,eliminating the original worm gear sled made cd medium a source of listening desire like never before with any other transport and the first thing in the morning is switching the air compressor.Than come everything else on the day list.

index.php

Funny because I can see my previous photo without problems..

This one I took from "art of sound".....hosting photos of my complete system (building proces)

SEE LINK....HAVE FUN
Hi There...My homebuild stuff

The wooden interlink plugs were a painstaking proces I drilled them with a toothed drill out of a cocobolo block which left me with a small cylinder with a hole in it.

I filed the hole bigger and bigger..distroying a couple in the proces...:D

Made just a little bit thread in it to screw the silver Eichman in it..it is all vulnerable for us tweakers with often " in and out" but I learned to live with that...:p

The ebony was easy just drilled it out of a block and made a hole in it...I did not try it with and without but since I am a " MOTHER OF TONE" believer I sleep better at night with them on my cables.

Btw ...the building of my stuff starts on page 3 of the link I posted.

Last edited:
I tried to do something similar with a two piece design held together with screws, but i did not like it. It was square on the outside and it did not look good. I like your idea :) Unfortunately my drill press has big slack and I do not trust it for precision work. I will try it with a router guide.

Hi Igor, what interests me most is how you solved the movement of the CD platform motor - how exactly you mounted it in order to achieve both low friction and stability (vibration release) at the same time?

I understand that with a rigidly mounted lens, it is the CD platform that has to move in order for the laser to follow the track. How is it mounted? I know you mentioned it floats on an air bearing, but how it remains stable?

I just checked your entire threads... I can only say... RESPECT...

Mouth drooling for those big slabs of ebony... they must cost a fortune...

BTW does the blue led actually make a difference? is it running from its own psu?

Own PSU but in the end it does NOT make a difference to me...I experimented with intensities and angles...nope :D
I left it there cause it is a great help to change cds in the evening :rolleyes: