Fertin project - calling all open baffle experts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

Open baffles solved a lot of acoustics problems to my system. I presently owned an Altech 604-hpln, A duplex speaker. They sounded great on an open baffles and with my set amp 300b triode. But they are very wall friendly. They have to be closed to the walls and have to toed in to accurately produced a laid back image.
I have designed a Dough Sax crossover for my Altech 604, The sounds seems not coming from the speakers... Try It! BUT USE SET TUBE AMPS !

Blue LED's really works. I am doing it on my friends old cd players.

Try the green flourescent night bulbs, They also works on any cd players.

Happy tweaking Guys,

John

Brian,

Is your baffle really 800x2000? Looks like about 800x1200 to me. Unless your camera is an Escher?

Baffle fans,

This thread having got me intrigued with the idea of trying some baffles (Fertins @$US1500 are out unfortunately) also has me wondering how to place them in a room. Do you set them up like planars, or will they work closer to the front wall? My room has few ways to set them up symmetrically, being wide and open plan. Any tips and suggestions gratefully received.
TIA
Brett

john said:
Hi Guys,

Open baffles solved a lot of acoustics problems to my system.

I have designed a Dough Sax crossover for my Altech 604, The sounds seems not coming from the speakers... Try It! BUT USE SET TUBE AMPS !

Blue LED's really works. I am doing it on my friends old cd players.

Try the green flourescent night bulbs, They also works on any cd players.

John

I do have a pr of 300B SET which will go in to this as some point. Got kind of entranced by the 45 pp - my first time hearing the 45.

Do you have details of the Sax crossover?

Brian

Re: Blue LED's really works

Peter Daniel said:
Brian,

Did you try it on your CD-94? yet?;) I also have this player.

Players come and go but this one stays with me since 1989. I was curious, did you do any mods on it?

Hi Peter,

I use it daily. When I first got it from a friend in Vancouver, he said it was soft and veiled so he never used it much. One thing is it was bought from Japan and uses 100V. So I put it on a 100V supply. Also changed the clock, and all the ecaps to Silmics. The Opamps were swapped for 627's. It's not soft and veiled anymore. It's amazing the quality put into this old machines. Just need a little TLC to bloom.

Brian

Re: Re: baffle size in context

planet10 said:
Brian,

Is the other one tucked in the corner as well? You could build a trapezoidal shape that more closly fits the shape defined by the corner with not much more intrusion and with a less regular baffle shape.

dave

Dave,
This is the long wall of my office. There are shelves that you see and then continues open to the windows about 8'. On the other side a similar 'corner is formed by a pr of Tannoy GRF-R.

How would you suggest building that trapezoidal shape. Dimensions?

Great stuff!

Brian

Brett said:
Brian,

Is your baffle really 800x2000? Looks like about 800x1200 to me. Unless your camera is an Escher?

Do you set them up like planars, or will they work closer to the front wall? My room has few ways to set them up symmetrically, being wide and open plan. Any tips and suggestions gratefully received.
TIA
Brett

I see your point! I'll have to measure again.

When I put them out into the room, I find they sound good but midbass and lower dynamics are lost. Voice and sax still jump out dynamically but not the lower registers. So far I found the best position tilted back, toed in and close to the wall.

Brian

So that's the Fertin? I've never seen a pic of the front of it.
Is that a whizzer cone? Any close up shots?

I would be up for getting into the group buy if, and that's *IF*, I can sell one of the three pairs of speakers I currently have (Lynn Olson Ariels in cherry veneer and a matching TL subwoofer).

Fertin the back

OK, the back

Attachments

• fertinback.jpg
    fertinback.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,274
Brian - compare to Hammer?

Brian,

Can you compare the Fertin, as it is, to the Hammer S12? (Understanding, of course, that the Fertin does not have comparable bass extension.)

When I was tweaking the Hammer's zobel and x-over, I had them running as semi-open baffle and I thought they sounded great this way, too.

After much tweaking, the Hammers are sounding very good - timbre is becoming more realistic and they also throw a huge soundstage.

Mike

Re: Brian - compare to Hammer?

mgreene said:
Brian,

Can you compare the Fertin, as it is, to the Hammer S12? (Understanding, of course, that the Fertin does not have comparable bass extension.)

When I was tweaking the Hammer's zobel and x-over, I had them running as semi-open baffle and I thought they sounded great this way, too.

After much tweaking, the Hammers are sounding very good - timbre is becoming more realistic and they also throw a huge soundstage.

Mike

Yes, heard about the Hammer on open baffle and it got me wondering too. I have the Hammer's on the opposite wall to the Fertin's. They sound good as you describe above. The Fertin/open baffle though is just at a different level of performance. I haven't heard the Fertin's in a box, nor the Hammers in an open baffle so I don't know how much to attribute to the driver and how much to the open baffle. The Hammer is respectable next to any box speaker I've heard, but the Fertin's are just spooky the way they capture presence. Ben Webster's sax is so 'there' in the room, it slices the air with it's presence. And in that range, dynamics are at live or near-live levels, more than the Hammer is capable of by a long-shot. Subtle cues are so audible, they're almost visible; I can see the sax swaying and tilting. Voices without boxes are just something else again.

However until I can get the bass dynamics to match, the Hammers are my choice for large scale symphonic music. Everything else goes to the Fertins (I don't listen to rock BTW)

Hope that gives you a picture.

Brian

bbaker6212 said:
Any of you guys heard the AER drivers?
Care to comment on their comparison to the sound
of the Fertins and/or Lowthers?

Hi Brad,

I've heard Lowthers in Acousta, Fidelio, Hedlunds and TP1; AER in all but the Acousta. These drivers each sound different according to the enclosure (I like the TP1 best) and I haven't heard the Fertin's in a box. It's hard to separate the sound of the enclosure from the sound of the driver. The Fertin's have much higher moving mass than the other 2 yet, in an open baffle, you'd never guess it. I'll have to try the Fertin's in a box, when opportunity allows, to get a handle on this. But Bernard mentions that the TP1 won't be suitable since the Fertin isn't airtight. Does anyone else have an opinion on this? The distributor suggested that it should work fine.

Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.