FE206En in the fe208 recommended enclosure

At the moment i'm using a vulcan with the Cube Neo speaker. I heve the impression that the front panel is adding output in the 150 - 300Hz region.
i have 2 questions
  • Could this be solved by adding a thin panel with constraint layer damping?
  • Is the Vulcan a good case or is there a better option?

Would love to hear your thoughts

10D7C42A-593E-4D3E-80FD-BC88DC114DF9.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An original build.

You will need to somehow stiffen the baffle.

We did this after the fact by drilling a series of holes in the front baffle and inserting a “peg” that reaches thru the baffle to give an after-the-fact” internal (composite) brace. Used a constrasting wood and it turned out to add visual appeal to the baffle.

You could also add a brace externally, but while it works on the back of the box (ref Fostex factory horn) it is likely not aestheticaly pleasing, but i guess something OK could be fasioned.

So a 2nd full size baffle to stiffen up the existing baffle. I don’t think constrained layer would really help.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 2 approaches counter each other.

The stiffness increases by the cube of the thickness.

With 1 thickness you have (2 x thickness)^3 versus 2 x thickness^3 so the solid construction (theoretically rasies the resonance 4x higher than the constrained layer, which (theoretically) will have more damping.

Given that the air cavity acts as a low pass filter, moving the resonance up high enuff so that it is never excited makes most sense to me.

dave

So a 2nd full size baffle to stiffen up the existing baffle. I don’t think constrained layer would really help.
Well, it helps damp any existing vibrations, but stiffening is preferable IMO (yeah, realize I'm 'preaching to the choir' here ;), but there seems to be a lot of newbies since the forum upgrade.

FWIW, added panel(s) need only be ~70% of area and if beveled at least 45 deg (90 deg included) can make for a more room/furniture /SAF friendly 'look' without any audible penalty.

Hi all,

Been a while, and a couple of updates since my last post regarding fe206 in Kirishima.
Built some class A stereo (in mono mode) dual amp Camp Amps.
Was ok, but did not have the punch I thought they might deliver to the 206's
Slowly putting together components for my Nelson Pass M2 clone (25W into 8ohm)
Also been looking at tweaks to the speakers, and one possibly upgrade is to integrate a super tweeter.
Check out the options and simplest and workable solution is the fostex ft17h supertweeters.
I picked up a pair of fostex ft17h from fleabay.

Dave did post an option around mounting the tweeter in the box, see image attached in post.

Just wondering if any one has done this yet, and what was the results?

Cheers, S.

FT17-Kirishima.gif

20220819_221754.jpg

20220729_185644.jpg

Reactions: 1 user