Fane 12-250TC or 15-300TC in a large sealed enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My jigsaw was not out yet, I just tried the brace for size :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190928_132840.jpg
    Screenshot_20190928_132840.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 357
Steve - one more question. I was planning to use damping similar to your project, that is only lower half of the cabinet (but not wool like yours, just simple polyfill). But my rear wall plywood surface is laminated with some kind of "film" (got it really cheap, that's why I bought it :)). So will this affect the sound and should I cover it with polyfill to to avoid negative effects? This will be the part that will be exactly the opposite of the driver.

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_192653_resized_20191002_035150358.jpg
    IMG_20190929_192653_resized_20191002_035150358.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 321
I don't know how you did deal with that treble rise problem, but i'm busy with one for myself, and designed this correction filter (on a measured 80L box of a friend with the 12-250TC). He uses this box with an active crossover and a sub for outdoor in his garden.

I don't have the driver yet, nor the speaker. I've been to busy with other stuff the last months to get to this, but this winter i will build mine and it will be slightly larger box (120L) and this filter (or a variation of it ,) ).

Attachments

• filter v2.PNG
    filter v2.PNG
    86.9 KB · Views: 267
you wont be able to disperse 1-4khz without messing up everything above that.

I've had luck sitting off axis and eq for it there.
That way it sounded better everywhere else in the room.

If you eq it flat dead on, there will be no highs except in a laser beam straight ahead of it (past 2k).

That looks good. I used mine with a sub for a garden party, too. It would be great if it was possible to acoustically disperse instead of EQing down. But I guess that is not too easy.

For outside, the eq is not needed as there is more dispertion (due to no walls), but inside where you mostly sit in straight in front of it the eq is needed otherwise it's to shouty. I've tested this with a minidsp with those speakers.

Waxx, I have to agree with Norman here. They are a bit hot dead-on, but get just 5º off axis and it's another story. Please consider it before you start getting parts, I found that just adding a simple but decent quality steel grill helped distribute the top end "sparkle" somewhat, and just a semi-calculated spike of melamine foam dead centre. Then there's SubSoniks who's had good results making melamine foam lenses of sorts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.