F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Of course: I agree in general having heard some very very good flea power stuff. The laughing was about the use of words in "I was never a big flea power SE guy".......As I said - apologies!:)

absolutely none needed! all in good fun.:D Somewhere on this site, referring to Multiple way speakers, I made a comment about "wanting to try three way" you should of seen those comments!

Russellc

My music taste has changed as I have aged. I use to use 200 watts per channel with my horns but now 1 to 5 watt SET's are plenty for me or with SS one of the Firstwatt 25 watt amps. Like Nelson has said of which I agree "In my world 1 watt is a lot."

The F6 is a fantastic amp and in ways is better than an SET and in others not quite so good as a good SET. Both sound great but in different ways.

Last edited:
My music taste has changed as I have aged. I use to use 200 watts per channel with my horns but now 1 to 5 watt SET's are plenty for me or with SS one of the Firstwatt 25 watt amps. Like Nelson has said of which I agree "In my world 1 watt is a lot."

The F6 is a fantastic amp and in ways is better than an SET and in others not quite so good as a good SET. Both sound great but in different ways.

Curious to know how music tone is with

F6 [ 25 watts ] push-pull
compare to
IXFN140N20P [ 50 watts ] single-ended ?

The same Jensen input transformer btw :yinyang:

Attachments

• 0B1D41D3-23A1-45B0-A8EC-8181804D7315.JPG
    0B1D41D3-23A1-45B0-A8EC-8181804D7315.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 935
Joined 2003
Paid Member

You should build F-4 and put one of those 2 watters to it! I listen to Horns, but am also starting in with OB project that is sort of medium efficiency, and I like a few other speakers that while the class A 25 First Watts drive, 2 watts wouldnt do. Just hate collapsing Sound stages when things are other than mellow. Those small SET amps need high efficiency speakers, and usually they are pretty big. My Ewaves are big, but manageable. The Altecs are just BIG. At 60, moving those monsters around is a workout. I keep them both on roller platforms.

Russellc

You should build F-4 and put one of those 2 watters to it! I listen to Horns, but am also starting in with OB project that is sort of medium efficiency, and I like a few other speakers that while the class A 25 First Watts drive, 2 watts wouldnt do. Just hate collapsing Sound stages when things are other than mellow. Those small SET amps need high efficiency speakers, and usually they are pretty big. My Ewaves are big, but manageable. The Altecs are just BIG. At 60, moving those monsters around is a workout. I keep them both on roller platforms.

Russellc

6L6 has said that the F4 is his favorite amplifier but I have never seriously considered building one because I have the SE BA3 which is in reality a SE F4 instead of a push pull. When I built the BA3 I was under the impression that a SE would sound better with horns but the F6 broke that rule. It all depends on the designer more than whether it is SE or PP. I have a M2 in the works and I am looking forward to hearing what it sounds like with my LaScala's. The M2 is supposed to really shine with horns.

I try not to move my LaScala's any more than necessary but trying many different crossover combinations does require moving them. Right now I think I have the crossover I like the best so they should not have to be moved as much. Speaker ads have always touted "our small speaker sounds like a big speaker" but it is not true. All things being equal a big speaker is always going to sound better. You may have to get a divorce to get a pair though.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
6L6 has said that the F4 is his favorite amplifier but I have never seriously considered building one because I have the SE BA3 which is in reality a SE F4 instead of a push pull. When I built the BA3 I was under the impression that a SE would sound better with horns but the F6 broke that rule. It all depends on the designer more than whether it is SE or PP. I have a M2 in the works and I am looking forward to hearing what it sounds like with my LaScala's. The M2 is supposed to really shine with horns.

I try not to move my LaScala's any more than necessary but trying many different crossover combinations does require moving them. Right now I think I have the crossover I like the best so they should not have to be moved as much. Speaker ads have always touted "our small speaker sounds like a big speaker" but it is not true. All things being equal a big speaker is always going to sound better. You may have to get a divorce to get a pair though.

Yes I understand. When deciding which Altec woofers I wanted to keep really tried me. Removing the compression driver and 511 horn, removing entire box from my roller deals, tipping it forward on its face, removing the full length rear panel, changing out woofers, repeat in reverse. It was a regular weight lifting work out as they top 150 lbs if I remember correctly?

As to the "F-6 breaks the rule" sort of falls in line with my tastes, I like a little more moxie than I find SE provides. As to the divorce, yup, got two under my belt, sadly.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello,
I've collected the pcbs, transformers and so on and now I'd like to start to build my F6 amp with R100 output devices.
I need only some informations:

1. I've fooud different schematics with R100,(Buffered, Variable 2nd armonic and Output degeneration) which is the right one?
  2. Which kind of leds (LED1, LED2) are better to use?
  3. I've a 400VA power transformer and big heathsinks, wihich is the better bias current setting?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Guglielmo

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
1. build that one pictured as "output degeneration" (enclosed down)
2. say green , two in series per position , vulgar 5mm dia , giving you around 2x1V9 or so across , or just use Blue ones as papa (so 2V7)
3.read article on 6moons ( also attached few times here , if I remember OK) ; say that 75-80W dissipation per channel is nice area

Attachments

• big_degenoutput.png
    big_degenoutput.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 914
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jim and others.

Will the F6 work OK in the Dissipante 3U 400mm case? Has anybody out there done this already? That will leave one MOSFET per sink.

BTW, received my boards this Monday. The package left US shores already in mid December. I suppose I must be happy that I actually got it and that the package did not develop feet.

Last edited:
Place the Amp inside a Beer Fridge for the summer?
Hey! More than a few Computer Weenies do that
Get a cheap tabletop fan and have it blow over the amp box during extreme ambient temps ?
Or buy a Dyson fan which IS quiet for the purpose?
Although worth More than a 4U Or even a 5U case tho :)