F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ooh, i missed that...Sorry!

I will be following this thread closely, coz this is good knowledge for me too, if this humming issues can be solved eventually.

Thanks everyone!

Keep your eye on these posts, meanie - they're happening fast! LOL...

And thanks of course for sharing your experience. Although I love the idea of monoblocks, I am hoping to solve my issue instead of having to re-engineer the amp around the problem.

I assume 3R3K resistors would be okay in this circuit too? Also, can the E-562 current regulating diodes replace R7 and R8?

Yes. 3.3k is still ok. Basically anything between 2k and 3.3k. 2k would be better though.

Yes.
If you use current regulating diodes then anything between 5mA and 8mA.
If you go with current regulating diodes it might be worth getting some prototype board with sockets just to test correct orientation of all parts together beford soldering them in.

Last edited:

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I replaced 6V8 Zener with 3LEDs, just to please 2 picodumbs :D Less bias drift during varm up. :)
R7, R8: 3K3
R1/R2:0R56/0R47
bias: 0,6V

When I first built it I went with R1/R2:0R47/0R47 but needed more 2H. Not noticeable change with 0R56. 3'rd dominate at 1V in and with 2V in 2'nd gets dominate. With Iron Pumpkin with no harmonics to speak of, fantastic pre by the way, I like to se if there is other mods I can try for other coloring sounds.

What about the mod 0R1 source resistors? Even less harmonics? How about bias volt over 0R1?
Other comments or ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• F6_3leds.jpg
    F6_3leds.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have more mods for people to try.
I have been measuring up a range of devices.

Are you prepared to change devices?

Yes, please! FWIW, my personal goal would be a bit more power into lower impedance loads, but all trials to learn are appreciated. I'm just now beginning to get comfortable with an oscilloscope and REW. I find this fascinating.

Pico's Magic F6 Trick

Absolutely :) Hit me!

Yes, please! FWIW, my personal goal would be a bit more power into lower impedance loads, but all trials to learn are appreciated. I'm just now beginning to get comfortable with an oscilloscope and REW. I find this fascinating.

I am in too!

Green LED References
R7 Anything between 2k and 3.3k
R8 Same as R7

Q1 IRFP250 (do not use IRFP150), - IRFP140 might be suitable but this has not been tested as yet.
Q2 IXTH64N10L2
R1 0.22 Ohms
R2 0.22 Ohms

R3 100 Ohms
R2 Anything between 20 and 23 Ohms

Bias around 1.5A to 1.75A

This will get you J2/Aleph J like operation without needing to degenerate - but also with the additional benefit of Class AB operation.

Last edited:
Interesting!!
"benefit of Class AB operation", do we want that? Better explain!
This is what F6 has always done.

Transitioning into Class AB from Class A is always better than hard current limiting. This is what F6 has always had over Aleph J and J2, nothing new.
Aleph J and J2 just hard current limit, not good for difficult loads.

Here you can have it all.
Zero degeneration
Similar single ended operation to J2/Aleph J
No hard current limiting into difficult loads

It's a win/win

Just to clarify IRFP250 must be VISHAY

Last edited:
Green LED References
R7 Anything between 2k and 3.3k
R8 Same as R7

Q1 VISHAY IRFP250 (do not use IRFP150), - IRFP140 might be suitable but this has not been tested as yet.
Q2 IXYS IXTH64N10L2
R1 0.22 Ohms
R2 0.22 Ohms

R3 100 Ohms
R4 Anything between 20 and 23 Ohms Correction

Bias around 1.5A to 1.75A

This will get you J2/Aleph J like operation without needing to degenerate - but also with the additional benefit of Class AB operation.

Added corrections.

This is something you really should try.

Last edited:
F6 Channel A issue

About one month ago I finished the build and dialed in BIAS (0.5V) and OFFSET (few mV) to constant levels. Lately, channel A started to show quite a drop in volume after some 20 minutes from powering up. If I crank up the volume the channel starts to work again; however, with reducing the volume the issue reappears. Both channels are dead quiet at the speakers. Any ideas what or more specifically which (heat sensitive) component might cause this issue? I hope it is not the Jensen transformer, as they are currently out of stock at the DIY audio store. Any feedback would be appreciated.