F6 Amplifier

The amp I posted pics of in 5864 is buzz's susy amp.

I used the SS R100s, Onetics transformers and I love this amp. In addition to the F6 magic the soundstage seems wider and deeper than a straight up F6 which I listened to for about 6 mos.

I have permeneder's (RIP) VFET boards stuffed and will try to get that amp up and running.

If its a long winter I could try a susy IRF F6 with Tea Bags boards - it would be interesting.

Highly recommend doing a susy F6 !!!!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
5-fillar is enough for balanced input , with floating primary
5-fillar with one winding CT (kosher) , or 6-fillar (count in gain difference) are full monty

Attachments

• Babelfish F6X proper 5_fillar xformer.jpg
    Babelfish F6X proper 5_fillar xformer.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 378
  • Babelfish F6X proper 6_fillar xformer.jpg
    Babelfish F6X proper 6_fillar xformer.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Is there a big sound improvement in the F6 compared to the F5?

Depends on a few things, however, the sound-stage width/depth and tonal palette seems greater to me in the F6. The musical instrument image size and the ability to sound like real instruments in the room is amazing.
If you take the F6 6Moon's review as a good reference, then a DIY Mosfet F6 will be playing right in the pocket.

I've got mine set to almost equal 2nd and 3rd harmonic and liked it for about 10 minutes. The depth is not as great and everything is more forward, yet very dynamic. However, it's not worth it to me because I get bored of it quick.
Going to try to lower 3rd and either keep 2nd the same or bump it up if 3rd won't drop.

Just me two cents. YMMV.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've got mine set to almost equal 2nd and 3rd harmonic and liked it for about 10 minutes. The depth is not as great and everything is more forward, yet very dynamic. However, it's not worth it to me because I get bored of it quick.
Going to try to lower 3rd and either keep 2nd the same or bump it up if 3rd won't drop.

I have .1 Ohms in the source of the upper Q1, R100 and nothing in the source of the lower Q2, and get a nice balance between 2nd and 3rd, on my F6. :)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
get a nice balance between 2nd and 3rd, on my F6

Would you say it's more 2nd? I can't relax with the introduction of more 3rd.

Botte is using the config I liked best. Try .05 ohms instead of .1R.

I like being able to adjust it, but once I have it set and take a snapshot, it will stay that way.
I'll use the snapshot to check it in the future.

Have to say that just centering the pots so far has been my favorite. :D

Last edited:
Me too: Q2 plain with no resistance (no pot either) and Q1 with 0.033ohms. Tried values and combinations of .1 / .05 / .033 / .025 ohms for both Q1 and Q2 (changing 1-4 pcs of .1 ohm resistors).

My preference is .33 ohms for Q1 and EXACTLY/ONLY that. For me that's the value that transfers the amp from good to great. Something 'magical' just happens with that value that niether .05 nor .025 ohms provide. :D As always - YMMV.

Last edited: