F5 power amplifier

> For the matched toshiba I think that EUVL may be selling ...

No I am not. I have none in stock.
Especially for the F5X, you need well matched Toshiba NNNN-PPPP's and IMHO only Zhou Fang has a large enough batch to offer those well matched.
He has thousands of each type. I don't know of anyone else who has.

As to the original Fairchilds, you could check out the old GB threads and see who bought how many (hundreds) then.
And then you could see who is the nicest guy nearby among them and if he might be willing to let go of his treasured stock at a reasonable price.

Yes, I still have some. But I am the well-known bad guy here, and I'll undoubtedly rip you off !!!
So please do not contact me for Fairchilds unless you are extremely desperate.

And, on top of that, I use Toshiba myself for the F5 balanced.
And yes, I have built (the balanced F5x) using both, as already published years ago.

Patrick

Last edited:
No, I didn't try all 3 in the same circuit. Honestly I thought you already did that, but probably you went directly balanced.

I have some experience with the IRFPs and the Toshibas, I also had the Fairchilds at hand, but so far never came around to try laterals. At the moment I'm toying with bipolars.

Built the F5 (stock circuit) with 2SK1530/2SJ201 outputs instead of IRFs. Only change I made to the circuit as suggested elsewhere by EUVL is to put a 5 ohms resistor in series with the source pin of 2SJ74BL FET. I am using the Thermistors as well as the protection circuit.

Biases up very nicely and rock steady. Currently set the voltage across R11 and R12 at 485mv. Supply rail is +25.6/-25.6V.

I have not listened to the amp yet. Hope it sounds good.

My question is what happens if I push the current up and bias to around 1.2A from the current level like we do with IRFs. Do these Toshiba's get hotter than IRFs at that level?

TIA.
Tested the F5 build with Toshibas with my fostex fe206 based BLH speakers.

Sounded pretty good with icreased bass compared to the IRF variant. Considering the price of 3x for Toshibas compared to irfs, the effort may not be worth. Moving on the next one.

Cheers.