F5 power amplifier

Like this?
F5PTP2.jpg
Right that! But 2 outputs per side and maybe going balanced. Still a lot more to read :)

How many percent does the MOSFET price difference make for the total amplifier, including heatsink, transformer, power supply, .... ?

EUVL,

I did not mean in any other way. For my limited knowledge of electronics, I cannot make informed changes to the circuit. I can only do or faithfully follow what others such as you have done. Some of these variations including the balanced design of yours require in depth understanding of the circuit to be able to implement well.

Therefore i wanted to restrict myself to the stock design and implement whether it is F5 or Aleph J, that way there is lot more help and experiences available from forum members.

Cheers.

What I was trying to say is that even the Toshiba's is 3x the price of the IRFP's, they amount in the end to say 20 USD extra or so, which is nothing compared to the cost of the entire amplifier including PSU, case, .....

And if you can hear an improved difference straight away, I would immediately spend the 20USD, for this is the cheapest improvement you can make. Any further improvements (like exotic passive components, etc.) will always end up costing you more.

Regards,
Patrick

What I was trying to say is that even the Toshiba's is 3x the price of the IRFP's, they amount in the end to say 20 USD extra or so, which is nothing compared to the cost of the entire amplifier including PSU, case, .....

And if you can hear an improved difference straight away, I would immediately spend the 20USD, for this is the cheapest improvement you can make. Any further improvements (like exotic passive components, etc.) will always end up costing you more.

Regards,
Patrick

Patrick,

I agree. No regrets about spending the additional amount on the Toshibas. They certainly look much better built and rugged and also sound good. I just used your suggestion on MOSFET degeneration technique on 5ohms in the source path of 2sj74bl. Don't know what to tweak further.

Cheers.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008

Regards,
Patrick

Good point Patrick, of course.

Thanks everyone!

Regards,
Patrick

So the Toshiba's for sure are better sounding than the IRFP's......

I have a 4U 300mm deep Modu on order. I have conversed with a board member who has used that exact chassis with wonderful results. I hope to have the amp done within a week of it's arrival from Italy. :D

That's great to hear, I've designed my back panel and working on side panel (heat sink - drill & tap). It's nice that they do that at a reasonable rate.

I've created the panels with front panel express, and export it as a dfx file.

Thinking about PSU size for dual mono F5, what can and cant you do.

I was thinking going for less total capacity but instead focusing on ripple current and low ESR.

Wouldnt a lower total capacity than what pass uses in his PSU, but high ripple current and low ESR be better than a huge total capacity but less ripple current and higher ESR?

Can get some very high ripple 2200 uF 50V 105 C caps, around 2.5-3.5A pr cap. Ten of these pr rail would give you 22000 uF pr rail but 25-35A total ripple current and very low ESR.

Am I completely on the wrong track here or do I have a point??

You are absolutely on the right (but very expensive) track :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/172770-balanced-f5-question-8.html#post2349852

The PCBs that connects all these caps together are 110x80mm, double sided 210um (6 oz. I thnk) copper. Copper costs money.

Patrick

Ah, thats just, insane. :eek:

But think I'll stay at 2-3 oz. Should be sufficient.

Most likely making a CRC supply, with 5 x 2200 uF caps - resistor - 5 x 2200 uF caps pr rail, as a minimum, might go nuts and add even more caps, but lets see later on. Caps can be really expensive, even small ones, if you want high ripple current. :eek: