F5 power amplifier

Hi,
the light bulb tester will not pass sufficient current to allow bias setting of a ClassA power amp.

If the bias setting pots are set to zero, the bias current is also zero.
The bulb tester will allow one to power up the amp in this zero bias condition.
As the bias adjustment pot is turned, the bulb will start to glow.
Remove the tester and connect the power amp direct to the mains.
Complete the setting of the bias current.

If the tester glows brightly, then that indicates that the amp is drawing high current. Check the voltage reaching the transformer primary. Check the voltage at the smoothing capacitors. These two voltages will tell one a lot about what the problem is.

setting the pots to minimum implies lowest resistance to me. So when adjusting you will be adding resistance to reach the desired readings?
and with a virtually constant current passing through the set of parallel resistors the Voltage across the resistors increases.
That increased voltage is applied to the Vgs of the output FET.
More resistance turns on the FET.

ok, ok,
I am somewhat impatient, but I will get it right

Attachments

• DSC03913.JPG
    DSC03913.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 664
  • DSC03918.JPG
    DSC03918.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 630
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ok, ok,
I am somewhat impatient.....

:rofl:

you certainly are - 6M for two pics ........ :rofl:

you already have isolated leads of thermistors ; just push them to mosfet case , maybe even with blob of thermal goo in between

if you want - use RTV silicone or any other sort of silicone like glue , but be careful - to not mess direct contact of NTC with mosfet case

so, i'm 99% sure my trimpot is shot...when i measure P2 from pin 2 to 3 I get 72 ohms (min) vs the other pot (P1) I get .3 ohms

The other channel I get .3 ohms for P1 and .4 ohms for P2

I had one of my pots installed backwards at first, so i had to desolder it, flip it, and resolder it, and I can't tell which one it was, So I'm putting 2 and 2 and assuming I damaged something inside the trimpot.