F5 power amplifier

chrismercurio said:
I think the pot value is 100k as this matches the input impedance. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
for Zin = 100k the source impedance (Rs) is usually better if it is below 10% of Zin.
i.e Rs=<10k is better for Zin=100k.

The maximum source impedance of the pot follows this rule: Rspot<=[pot value +Rssource] / 4. Assume source is 1k.
pot=100k gives Rspot<=25k25
pot=25k gives Rspot<=6k5
pot=10k gives Rspot<=2k75

Use either 25k pot or 10k pot.
I prefer the lower value since a source impedance of 6k5 will result in a treble cut filter if there is significant capacitance following the pot. Anything approaching 500pF will be significant.

i have a friend that just built a F5--he can't get it up to full bias on both channels- he runs out of pot. i have a similar problem with my F4-one side biased up fine but the other side wide open was at 90% bias-so i just turned the good side down to match it. could this be caused by a gross mismatch in the jfets??? is his F5 and in my F4 we just picked the jfets from a pile--didn't match them. I have a F5 that i matched the parts and it biased up just fine. anyone have any suggestions??????

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
bubba177 said:
i have a friend that just built a F5--he can't get it up to full bias on both channels- he runs out of pot. i have a similar problem with my F4-one side biased up fine but the other side wide open was at 90% bias-so i just turned the good side down to match it. could this be caused by a gross mismatch in the jfets??? is his F5 and in my F4 we just picked the jfets from a pile--didn't match them. I have a F5 that i matched the parts and it biased up just fine. anyone have any suggestions??????

increase drain resistors ( in parallel with pots ) for ~25% and you're there

quick 'n' dumb solution ....... if you don't want to pick jfets with higher Ids

Biamp F5 F4

tms0425 said:
I am using a pair of monoblock F4's driven by a Pumpkin/Shunty up to 1200hz and a single F5 from 1200hz up. XO is a very heavily modified DCX2496. Very nice combo overall.

I know this is a few days old but I saw your post. I've been thinking of doing F3 and F5 with a DCX - F3 on ribbon tweeters F5 on midrange panels. Just curious about how you like you're set up and why you choose the F4 F5 combination

Tom

Re: Biamp F5 F4

tbrooke said:

I know this is a few days old but I saw your post. I've been thinking of doing F3 and F5 with a DCX - F3 on ribbon tweeters F5 on midrange panels. Just curious about how you like you're set up and why you choose the F4 F5 combination

Tom
Honestly I just like the versatility of the F4's for many speaker situations and they sound very good no matter what I throw at them. The F5 is just a very transparent and pristine amp without any harshness or glare ideal for the upper frequencies in my setup. It just sounds right harmonically. A stock DCX is not pleasant at all, but with the mods mine has I think it comes closer to what the amps themselves are capable of.

slr 5000 said:
hi andrew
no rose coloured specs mate just common sence
its much easyer to set up an active system with lower and upper amps that are the same gain and spec than to use different amps and know they are not working together 100%
eg different gain ,td specs ,slew rates etc

I can just see the smoke when you plug it in. An eight alarm fire!

hi mate
yes 8 is a bit much
i might try building 4x to start with and biamp the system to see how it goes and build the other 4 channels whilst im deciding if i like what im hearing

ive only let the magic smoke out of one amp ive built so far and it scared the !@*# out of me big flames and explosion
my tip for the day is do not run a ska gb300 with more than 3mv bias:hot:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Biamp F5 F4

tms0425 said:
The F5 is just a very transparent and pristine amp without any harshness or glare ideal for the upper frequencies in my setup. It just sounds right harmonically.

I finally got an F5 running in the main rig.
I too am impressed by the lack of glare of any sort here.

In my system, it seems very relaxed, and soundstages, images or whatnot in a very 'crisp' or detailed manner.

It also seems to 'control' the music very well, so there is no garbling of difficult passages. I will admit, I didn't listen too long or even critically, and have yet to throw lots of music at it.

I would agree it sounds very similiar to an F4, but possibly with an edge on 'control'

labjr said:

Were you using BL grade JFETs ?

Yes. 2SK170BL (complemented with 2SJ74) however I am a little suspicious about the range of Ids I measured with a batch of 100 parts purchased from Futurlec.

Ids ranged from less than 2 to more than 17 ma. I thought they were supposed to be 6 - 12 ma but there were none in that range. Maybe they had been picked over or maybe my measurement technique isn't quite right. But my F5 boards are biased and playing audio. Now for some serious listening - which is what all this is about isn't it?