F5 power amplifier

Re: balanced setup.

Tea-Bag said:
Yes, can do balanced, take input from one board to XLR 2, one to XLR 3, XLR 1 to common ground. Wire speaker to both positive outputs, or just hook up the outputs + to pair of speaker terminals. This gives you one channel. repeat same for next.
I suppose this should work, but has anyone actually tried it? It's just ciurious why Nelson didn't put an XLR and mention of balanced setup in the commercial FW F5 as he did on the F4. My F5 doesn't even have an XLR installed (yet).

Balanced F5

It should work, according to Pass, and given the current capability he advertises - up to 10A, it should work well even with 4 ohm speakers. I would guess you will see at least 100W per F5 pair in AB with the first 50 watts in Class A, with the right heat sinks, (important consideration). I plan to build three of 'em, once I figure out what to do with the case. barredboss's new 11" x 2.75" deep extrusions might be just the ticket.

I've decided my pretty Chinese D-988 amp case just doesn't have the heat sink capacity to handle two bridged F5's, so I am saving it for an (unbridged) F3. (Yes, I am crazy, bored with my day job and love scavenger hunts.) BTW, has anybody built a Erno Borbely line stage lately ? They use a lot of parts, but they allow you to tailor the gain, and would drive an F3 to full output for all sources. I'm am also curious as to what Pass is doing with the B3...a single SE 2SK170BL on the front end of a B1 ought to give you 10 dB of gain easy.....

I'd love to see what the bridged F5 version looks like on an Audio Precision tester.....if any of you guys own one of these jewels and have hooked your F5 up to it, let us know how it did. As conservative as Nelson is, I'll bet it will run pretty clean right up to the voltage limits of the PS. I'm still a few months away from getting mine together, (given my day job...).

power supply

I've been planning on building an F5 stereo amp, coupled with a B1 buffer in the same chassis for a while now.
The power supply would be in 1 chassis and the signal level stuff in another. To save on space/cost/time I thought I'd build a ZV5 power supply with a 600VA 25V transfomer (only $65 at antek), and have that feed the positive and negative rails on the right and left channels of the B1 and F5. I'm obviously concerned about crosstalk esp as it may affect the B1.
My question is this: If I place several transistors (q3) in parallel with each its own cap (c8), but all fed by the same unregulated supply and zener, will I decouple each supply from each other sufficiently?
Thanks.

tms0425 said:
I am using a pair of monoblock F4's driven by a Pumpkin/Shunty up to 1200hz and a single F5 from 1200hz up. XO is a very heavily modified DCX2496. Very nice combo overall.

Very nice in deed.

I do not use an active XO, so I am planning to use the F5 to drive the HF through a passive and the F4. I haven't built the 4 yet so I am a few weeks from reporting back.