F5 Amps - Building a Quartet of Amps in search of the Ultimate F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nelson,

I can't thank you enough for your help. I'm having a blast trying all these amps.

Are you saying you think I'll end up with the Balanced-Cascoded F5, or just straight Cascoded F5?

Have you tried a Balanced-Cascoded version of the F5 in your testing? It's been suggested that cascoding does not add to the balanced version, has that been your experience?

Finally, if I read your PS post in the other thread correctly, you think a 12V rails biased as high as I can take it will be the way to go for the Balanced version, and ~22V rails for the Cascoded version (you were using 50W peak as an example). I haven't seen an amp with 12V rails, am I reading your post correctly?

"The journey is the thing." and "Just build it!"

I have pretty much gone through the permutations listed,
and it's a worthy progression.

In the end, it is probable that you will settle on Cascoded
2SJ109's and 2Sk389's driving Toshiba's biased as high
as you dare. Get yourself lots of heat sinking and power
supply capacitors, and use bipolars for the cascodes.

In this circuit, balanced mostly brings more power to the
table.

Minimize the feedback where you can.

The journey's the thing. If you just skip to that, you'll
miss out on some cool stuff.

:cool:

No. I know this link, but I am searching the guy NYCOne mentioned:

Another forum member is selling 68000uF 75V caps for $10 each, he'll pay shipping of you buy 6 or more. This is an excellent value. I tracked down the original price for these caps - it was over $110 each.

I like this item for lots of reasons, but especially one can use the PS for a Stock, Balanced or Cascoded F5 because of the 75V rating. I have 50V rated caps now, and had to limit my choice of transformers for the Cascoded amp - not anymore.

Four of these would make a nice PS for most Pass amps.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have you tried a Balanced-Cascoded version of the F5 in your testing? It's been suggested that cascoding does not add to the balanced version, has that been your experience?

Finally, if I read your PS post in the other thread correctly, you think a 12V rails biased as high as I can take it will be the way to go for the Balanced version, and ~22V rails for the Cascoded version (you were using 50W peak as an example). I haven't seen an amp with 12V rails, am I reading your post correctly?

The fets like to have some extra voltage, as their
capacitance gets high at low Vds, so I always keep
some leftover voltage.

Cascoding basically improves the performance of most
parts operated in the saturated region, and some in the
"linear/ohmic" region as well. It's a matter of how much
and whether you want the additional complexity in the
circuit. Tempting DIYers to build an amplifier is best
done with very simple circuits.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In the end, it is probable that you will settle on cascoded
2SJ109's and 2Sk389's driving Toshiba's biased as high
as you dare. Get yourself lots of heat sinking and power
supply capacitors, and use bipolars for the cascodes.

In this circuit, balanced mostly brings more power

I think I am correct in assuming that you are saying this about the cascoded "standard" F-5, and that the balanced version just brings more power? In other words, cascoding, and biasing "as high as you dare"? If so, will this work with standard voltage for the F-5, or should this also be ramped up? Asking because I'm getting ready to purchase transformers and heat sink for the next few projects.

Thanks for your time. (I suppose there is such thing as too many 18+18 here!)

Russellc

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
its in the logic my friend
its been said very clearly, mosfets excels at higher voltage, and higher bias

going balanced with this amp is quite the opposite
but what you do get is more power

right now I wonder about the cascoded Jfets
means that you can run it at 30V rails
but the Jfet and cascode shares this voltage
does this mean they only get 15Vdc each :confused:

15V is a bit low, no ?

right or wrong ?

Nelson,

It's been suggested that cascoding does not add to the balanced version, has that been your experience?

"The journey is the thing." and "Just build it!"

I know it is nice to get a response from Nelson, but these questions have been answered more than a few times now.
Either you are not reading peoples responses to your questions or you don't understand or believe the response.

If you don't understand the response then say so, otherwise people will lose interest in answering any of your questions, if you constantly ignore them.

Maybe I missed what you're talking about, I don't read all the threads. I think I understand the answers, and I think I read the threads I'm in.

In the last Balanced thread, it was suggested by two members that Cascoding did not help with the Balanced F5. Nelson suggested it did, thus the question.

It seems like you may have missed a post or two though:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/172770-balanced-f5-question-62.html#post2371824

Did I miss read the two fellows from the other thread, or did I misinterpret Nelson's suggestion?

Finally, I don't think anyone has Nelson's experience with the F5, so if he's willing to opine, I'll take his response 100% of the time over other other "experts".

I know it is nice to get a response from Nelson, but these questions have been answered more than a few times now.
Either you are not reading peoples responses to your questions or you don't understand or believe the response.

If you don't understand the response then say so, otherwise people will lose interest in answering any of your questions, if you constantly ignore them.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, anywhere between 30W to 35W per mosfet is fine.
As discussed earlier there is a trade off, the lower you go in Vds the higher Ciss becomes.
I wouldn't want to go much below 15V dc, but if you already have the transformers then it does not hurt to try.

2. Yes and Yes and No. First off, Ciss drops further with higher voltage (ie Vds) and becomes almost flat which leads to lower distortion. From memory I think they (IR devices) perform their best around 40V to 50V Vds. However, the answer to your question will be different for everyone. It will depend on how loud you listen to music, the efficiency of your speakers, and the nominal and reactive impedance of your speakers.

If you have low impedance speakers then maybe 30V and 1.8A is a good compromise. It is hard to give a definitive answer.
Let your ear be the judge. If you have two transformers you can try high voltage low bias vs low voltage high bias.

3. Low Noise devices are nice however since the amp is low gain the signal coming into the amp is a lot higher than most other amps so you may not notice a big difference.

I'm quite sure Nelson was not endorsing 10V Balanced F5 and 20V Cacode F5 as the optimum voltages.
It was merely to show you how to do the calculations once you determine what power you want to run at.

I prefer higher voltages due to the increased capacitance
of the devices at low voltages. Any circuit output
approaching the rails will experience this in any case.

The Toshibas are very nice parts. Since they have been
discontinued, I only have enough for some prototype
work out of interest.

Cascoding the inputs is always useful. Cascoding the
outputs chews up voltage, so you will always need higher
rails to do that.

Isn't it a pain to drill all of the holes for home-brew PCBs? Any advice here?

PCBs:
Yes, I etch my own boards and YOU SHOULD TOO! It's so easy, and it lets you try anything and everything. I'd never etched a board in my life until about 2 months ago. I'll only buy a board if it's more than two layers, two layers is my home limit. I use the toner transfer method. I found great Staples paper that makes toner transfer a few minute issue. I buy PCB literally by the pound on eBay. I etch with HCl and H2O2. My all in cost per board is ~$2-3. I go from idea, to layout, to transfer, to etch and drill in about 2-3 hours total.

Just in case you did not get the message. You want high voltage for the reasons stated above, therefore cascoding on the front end becomes mandatory. I would not push the Jfets much past 30V, for two reasons.
1. It will limit the amount of current you can put through them to drive the output stage.
2. The Jfets are not rated for high voltage (spec sheet says 25V)

You want high current on the output for reasons you already understand.
This means monoblocks. Buy another couple of those conrad heatsinks and you have the freedom to build what ever you want within reason.

All of this will depend on the type of speakers you have and how loud you listen to music.

If you have 100dB speaker and listen at quiet levels then you probably don't need to go that extreme and the stock F5 or Patrick's F5X will more than do the job with excellent results.
However I am guessing your speakers are not 100dB and that you might listen at elevated levels when the wife is out:D

i'm biamping my speakers with ajx for bass and f5x for highs. speakers are only 2 ways and the woofers are 8 inch scanspeak 21w/8554 8 ohms (90db) and tweeters are 6 ohms scanspeak d2904/9700 (89.5db). i do not wish to go with monoblocks and am using the same heatsinks as nycone, one case for each highs and lows. i have a small room so they will only very rarely be pushed and was planning to lower the rails and crank up the bias, i will use a fan if need be rather than building 4 amps

does this splitting up of duties for a pair of stereo balanced amps make for effectively the same as going monoblocks with one for each speaker for stereo balanced with passive xo?. my math seems to indicate i wont have any problem going louder than i will ever need to without leaving class A, but this is my first speaker amp and speaker build, so i'm open to other opinions.

It goes fast with a handheld flexible dremel (10 min). With a drill press about 15 min.

You could go surface mounted - I'm going to try that after I settle on an amp. For now - drill holes - it's only 15 min compared to years of knowing you did the whole amp yourself!

Now that I've etched PCB, I'm going to have a hard time buying commercial PCB.

Isn't it a pain to drill all of the holes for home-brew PCBs? Any advice here?

PCBs:
Yes, I etch my own boards and YOU SHOULD TOO! It's so easy, and it lets you try anything and everything. I'd never etched a board in my life until about 2 months ago. I'll only buy a board if it's more than two layers, two layers is my home limit. I use the toner transfer method. I found great Staples paper that makes toner transfer a few minute issue. I buy PCB literally by the pound on eBay. I etch with HCl and H2O2. My all in cost per board is ~$2-3. I go from idea, to layout, to transfer, to etch and drill in about 2-3 hours total.

Quick updates

Speakers:
I've finished the circle jig and layout for my speakers. I hope to have them up by mid-week.

Case:
My case front/back and top/bottom arrived. They still need some polishing, but I may have a case by Monday.

PCBs:
I'm going to etch a set of Balanced Cascoded F5 boards. Recall, I jury-rigged my dual channel Cascoded F5 into a single channel Balanced Cascoded F5 for testing. It's time to bite the bullet and do the full set.

Outputs:
I have a line on a set of 2SK2013/2SJ313s. Also, the 2SK3497/2SJ618s look deadly. I have to get a set first chance I have.

Grins:
I trying not to laugh, but sometimes it's too easy - I took a look at the "experts" Balanced F5 thread. It looks like they're going to use a Conrad MF35-151.5 based solution. The same heatsinks I've been using all along - funny how that worked out for me! They're thinking of adding a bipolar cascode to the board. I have a bipolar cascode on my Balanced F5 - funny how that worked out for me!

I guess I'm just really lucky all the stuff I've been doing for a couple of weeks is where the other guys are heading after months of rumination. It's better to be lucky than good.

Grins:
I trying not to laugh, but sometimes it's too easy - I took a look at the "experts" Balanced F5 thread. It looks like they're going to use a Conrad MF35-151.5 based solution. The same heatsinks I've been using all along - funny how that worked out for me! They're thinking of adding a bipolar cascode to the board. I have a bipolar cascode on my Balanced F5 - funny how that worked out for me!

I guess I'm just really lucky all the stuff I've been doing for a couple of weeks is where the other guys are heading after months of rumination. It's better to be lucky than good.

Funny :confused: Isn't that "Experts" thread yours? Funny :confused: The conrads have been talked about since this amp appeared, 2 1/2 yeas ago, along with the BVds of the input JFETs and cascoding the input? :confused: Didn't you read that? ;)
Sorry, if I'm making people laugh :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.