F200a in BIB???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
See Dave for the plans. I have a pair of the first gen, rev B models, that the postal service manged to savage, even though they were in a steamer trunk!

Four SD7's and a Fonken/Alpair 7...yup, just pure music. Has all of the audiophile catch basins covered too, but really, it is just about the music.

Something about the mind of Scott Lindgren crossed with those of Dave D and Chris B, just seems incapable of producing an unmusical speaker system. I have now heard dozens of designs from the trio. Every one of them provided another taste, another look, and every one of them just did music.

Last edited:
Dave,

If the cabinet is sealed, then size shouldn't be an issue. Does the straight TL still use two SDX7s? I am willing to pay for the cabinet design for the Alpair 7s. So you are only taking preorders for the Alpairs 7? I don't understand what you mean that these drivers are a stage behind CHR70.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If the cabinet is sealed, then size shouldn't be an issue. Does the straight TL still use two SDX7s?

By straight TL i mean one in which you are aiming to get bass augmentation from the terminus. I changed the FonkenWoof from a "straight" TL to aperiodic by increasing the level of damping near the terminus.

I am willing to pay for the cabinet design for the Alpair 7s. So you are only taking preorders for the Alpairs 7? I don't understand what you mean that these drivers are a stage behind CHR70.

Yes, i am taking pre-orders for Alpair7eN. At this point i am far enuff behind on drivers (i have some 100+ awaiting treatment) that the ones that get to the top of the queue 1st are the ones that have been paid for.

dave

I have a quantity of zero, to say nothing of matched pairs, and I do not really have time, as we are in the middle of our pre-christmas Guitar amplifier outputs and powers rush. As a good bit of that is the latest specialty stuff for Fortin Amps, I have a fair amount of physical activity to be involved in. And then, of course, there are the diy folks who want some exotic thing, like interstage transformers for the 10y to 300B tubes or Karna transformer sets, or push pull high voltage OPT's for solid state....

If SPL is a concern one might also think about coaxial instead of fullrange, quite OT here, I know.
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX205.PDF

Well, I'm not dogmatic enough to suggest at all 2-ways (coaxial or otherwise) are evil incarnate, but the apparent XO point on the posted link seems to be in an unfortunate location. None of the examples of a similar format that I've heard over the past few years ( Hawthorne Silver Iris, the Adire HE kits, PHY coax) had that ineffable quality of seamless midrange presence at which even very modest full rangers (even with whizzers) excel

And for many of us, the moderate SPL levels of less than 90dB in small domestic environments doesn't present "a concern"

Well, I'm not dogmatic enough to suggest at all 2-ways (coaxial or otherwise) are evil incarnate, but the apparent XO point on the posted link seems to be in an unfortunate location.

Yes, wouldn't be a standard crossover, maybe a 6dB HPF plus notch tweeter-side, combined with standard 12 dB LPF woofer-side, a bit like this:
The Seas ER18DXT ported two way
and some money gone if one fails :redhot:

A crossover is evil in my opinion, unless it is use in the sub bass range. It seems to be a no win situation when it comes to poor recordings and more detailed drivers. Maybe I should keep the B20s in the room for poor recordings and internet radio and still have the reference system for the sampled sounds.

Well, I am totally satisfied with the B20s. I just need more volume before the whizzer breaks up. I have done all the tweaks to this driver except the enabling. I really want to try four drivers per side, but everyone seems they are against line arrays with these. Should I build a fonken cabinet for each one and stack them up? I am willing to try anything. Since these drivers are on sale, I think we need to come up with a group design.

You could put four of them in a diamond pattern, with a tweeter in the middle. Four EnABL'd drivers will have fewer problems than four untreated. The lobbing will not be as much of a problem and they will blend much closer to the mounting plate. Adding a tweeter that trundles in at 8 to 10 kHz will help, especially if you put a simple roll off on the top end of the B20,s, assuming dividing the power among four EnABL'd drivers doesn't completely cure the shrieks.

Won't be "the perfect" setup, but it is going to be pretty stout when faced with live sound dynamics. Just get them as close together as you can and still have physical strength on the mounting board.

That with an OB bass with a couple of 15's would be an incredibly dynamic system and EnABL across all of them will rid you of much of the extraneous non musical artifacts.

Then, after that wears off, you can go for the Alpair / CSS elegance and information revelations.

I wish I knew what this diamond pattern would look like. You mean a diamond pattern in an ob baffle arrangment. Does it work to put speakers in each corner for a more live sound?

I was thinking of putting two half changs in each corner by stacking one on top of another by placing the second upside down. I figure this would omit having to put the 15s in an OB.

I am still thinking about going to the Alpairs, but I want to wait till the reviews are all done with the comparisons between drivers.

Nope All crammed together, just as tightly as you can and still have enough baffle to hold them in place. One on top, two side by side and one on the bottom. A diamond shape could be drawn from center of dome to center of dome for all four speakers. Putting them out on the corners of a big OB will just get you some very useless beaming.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.