ezDAC v.1.5 Builders Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Troubles with EZDUAL

Hi Guys,

I put together my EZDual tonite, and am having problems with it. Trafo reads 15.1v - 0v - 15.1v, the centertap is hooked to AC2, something seems to be pulling current with no load. I get 13.4V -0v - 13.4V from the trafo when hooked up to the board. With power hooked up R2A,B,C get warm. Even if I disonnect AC3 and leave AC1 hooked up R2A,B,C gets warm. I checked for obvious shorts, but so far I haven't been able to find any. I'm pretty much a newby at electronics, and any help would be appreciated. I've attached some pics of my build.

Thx,

PJN

Attachments

• EZDual top1.jpg
    EZDual top1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 228
  • EZDual top2.jpg
    EZDual top2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 227
  • EZDual btm.jpg
    EZDual btm.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 224
First check the polarity of the tantalum capacitors C4,5,7,8. Especially C7 & 8, the + side of each should connect to Ground.
Then check the DC output voltage. If it's slowly decreasing after you wait a few seconds, it is probably those capacitors. I'd bet on C8 causing the problem.
Oh, yes, wear eye protection! They can explode.
If you know for sure that a tantalum capacitor has been reverse- or over-voltaged, replace it even if it seems okay.

Hi All,

I'm starting to order parts for my DAC board. On the BOM posted for the 1.5 EZDAC on Evan's site C1,2,4,5,7,8,10 & 12 are shown as 10 uF, however when I go to the digitkey number shown on the BOM they are shown as 100 uF, on the digitkey site. Could anyone please let me know the right value ?

Thanks,

PJN

They are supposed to be 10uF, tantalums originally. The 100uF are way too big to fit on the board. You can use the 399-3654-ND if you like, but anything between 10...47uF and 16V or higher is o.k.

I fitted small Rubycon ZA there, here's my BOM.

Regards,

Ray

They are supposed to be 10uF, tantalums originally. The 100uF are way too big to fit on the board. You can use the 399-3654-ND if you like, but anything between 10...47uF and 16V or higher is o.k.

I fitted small Rubycon ZA there, here's my BOM.

Regards,

Ray
I used 0.1uF ceramics. I plan to parallel the LM337 one with something larger; the datasheet recommends >= 1 uF, I think. The LM317 should be happy with the 0.1uF. If you use something way bigger, I'd recommend parallelling it with a 0.1 ceramic, for low impedance at high frequencies.
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM117.pdf
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM137.pdf

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I removed R7 and R8 and replaced them with some electrolytics that I picked up at Radio shack. The good news is that solved the heating up problem, the bad news it that I'm getting+/- 18.5 vdc on the psu outlet. It looks like something is going on in the regulator area. I've attached a pic of some voltage measurements that I've taken. I'm am a bit confused by all of the different BOM's for the PSU so I'm wondering if I used the correct choice of resistors.

PJN

Attachments

• PSU voltages.jpg
    PSU voltages.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 195
Yea it is confusing especially if you don't know what you're doing like me. I'm glad I have your BOM for the EZDAC.

If you're using the LM317/37, make sure to read the datasheet. The formula for calculating voltage is very simple (assuming the adjust current is negligible). I always assume people don't take my BOM values on blind faith, but I suppose that has not been the case.

Hi All,

After watching a primer on SMD soldering on U tube I finally got the courage up to try any start populating the DAC board. It wasn't so bad after all. I do have a question on the orientation of U 4 and U5. In the picture that I've seen folks used the AD8610, but I used the LME4971 since digikey was out of the AD8610. In the attached pic I have U2 and U3 attached, but U5 is just sitting there. Is the LME4971 in the proper orientation to solder in ?

Thanks,

PJN

Attachments

• EZDAC IC's.jpg
    EZDAC IC's.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 208
I'm happy to report that my ezdac is up and running. I'm working on it as lunchtimes permit at my workplace (where I have access to SMD rework equipment). I used an SPDIF output from my PC, with a small passive network to change from 'TTL' to the proper level, to test it.
Now it's time to turn my attention to the companion USB/SPDIF board that I mentioned in some previous posts. Hope to have a schematic sometime next week.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.