• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Extreme Open Baffle Active Speaker inspired by Linkwitz LX521

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, I'm relatively new to home DIY builds, although I used to install my own stereo systems in cars in my younger years. I'm looking at a similar design, but using Fountek X3.0 ribbons for tweeters, and Infinity 1262w for woofers. I'm planning on going fully active using a DBX, with the exception of passive from upper to lower mids.

Thoughts? For the passive, are you guys just wiring the upper and lower mids in parallel? In the original design, I note one speaker is 4 ohm while the other is 8 ohms. Wouldn't this equate to 3 ohms parallel?

The Infinity 1262w were originally designed for cars. Think it'll work here in open baffle?

Thanks, John

Linkwitz and i use a passive crossover between the lower and upper midrange.
This response is then equalized. I use DSP.
Here is Linkwitz circuit. The upper midrange is reversed in my version too but i use different values.
The impedance is the complex sum including the crossover.

Attachments

• LX crossover.png
    LX crossover.png
    570.2 KB · Views: 1,259
Thanks Joachim. Just so I have this correct, the upper mid and lower mid are wired in parallel? Except that the upper mid "+" and "-" connections are reversed? Are you pretty satisfied with the sound of your design? I have 22 year old Infinity Kappa 8.1, so am hoping this build will be better. Thanks, John

This is a simple 6dB crossover and yes, the upper midrange is reversed.
I do it the same but use other values and drivers with higher sensitivity.
As you see the result is not flat so it needs EQ.
Unfortunately my version is not ready yet.
We are still programming the DSP.
The results i have so far are ecouraging.
There is the same " totally loose from the speakers " effect that i heard at Siegfried.
I am still not satififed with the tonal ballance though.
This nedds more work and i am pretty busy.

I am running active crossovers (DBX234), but don't have an EQ and am not planning on using one. If I double up on the upper mid (use 2 per side) so that the sensitivity is almost equal, do you think that should solve the problem? Or is the flat spot within a very specific spot that you really need an EQ? John

Thanks. I will have a look at the link. The problem is that I already have a 4 way active crossover. I don't mind paying $150 for Mr. Linkwitz's plans, but don't want to pay $1,000 for the ASP when I already have a good active XO. Do you think if I add a Behringer Ultragraph 31 band EQ, that will do the trick? Or do you really need the ASP or DSP?

You don't need to buy the ASP. In the long term a DSP based crossover will be the best solution, SL is already recommending a miniDSP solution. You can always sell off your existing crossover to get a miniDSP based solution

Bottom line is that if you want to build the LX521, you need to follow SL's official plans not only for the cabinet and drivers, but also for the crossover.

BTW, where are you based? There's a LX521 being built in Chandigarh with a miniDSP crossover.

Thanks. I will have a look at the link. The problem is that I already have a 4 way active crossover. I don't mind paying $150 for Mr. Linkwitz's plans, but don't want to pay $1,000 for the ASP when I already have a good active XO. Do you think if I add a Behringer Ultragraph 31 band EQ, that will do the trick? Or do you really need the ASP or DSP?

I would love to see / hear the LX 521 in Chandigarh, but it's a little too far north for me. I'm an expat living in central Mumbai. No offense to Mumbai, but I do miss my home town of Honolulu! I have no problem buying the plans. It's the ASP or DSP that I don't want to buy. But I'll reconsider it. Thanks, John

The Linkwitz ASP and /or his Mini DSP solutions are more then just some eq. They are the crossover of this system and is the very heart of the system. Do this part wrong and you'll end up in a terrible sounding loudspeaker. The Eq's are very specicifc for the driver/baffle arrangement. It's completely hopeless trying to emulate this with a 31 band equalizer, so yes you really do need the proper ASP or DSP settings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.