Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Even through a YouTube video your Cornu's sound nice Squiffy, really making me want to get my two up and running.

Got the second spiral completed yesterday, went a lot faster than the first thanks to having a completed spiral to take the measurements from for the cutting etc.

Next step is to get the cabling put in place and cut out the driver mounts in the front baffle.

Attachments

• IMG_20140311_190258038[1].jpg
    IMG_20140311_190258038[1].jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 345
B, thems looking very smart and neat. You will soon be putting sound through them :)

Thanks, here's hoping I can get them finished soon.

Are you a vinyl fan and if so do you like the old stuff?

Most of my music collection is in FLAC these days, but I do dust of the Rega P25 occasionally and spin some vinyl. Generally my music tastes range all over the place, from rare funk and soul to heavy metal :confused:. But one LP that always gets played is Neville Dickie's 'Back to Boogie'. In fact I might well test the Cornu's with that when I get them finished :D.

Thanks, here's hoping I can get them finished soon.

Most of my music collection is in FLAC these days, but I do dust of the Rega P25 occasionally and spin some vinyl. Generally my music tastes range all over the place, from rare funk and soul to heavy metal :confused:. But one LP that always gets played is Neville Dickie's 'Back to Boogie'. In fact I might well test the Cornu's with that when I get them finished :D.

I was over in Bury St Edmunds last week and came across a very nice supply of LP's in a charity shop I'd not been in before. Old stuff but if youre into that a good selection to browse through. BStE might be a bit of a trek for you but a lovely place for a day out.

Blaides,
Exciting to hear you are so close to first sound! I will have to check out your choice for the inaugural test track. Those are usually timeless pieces that always evoke a visceral feeling.
Good luck!
X

Cheers.

You can preview a couple of the tracks from the album on the official website here Back to Boogie although you'll need something that can handle real audio player files such as the VLC media player VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!.

Even through a YouTube video your Cornu's sound nice Squiffy, really making me want to get my two up and running.

Got the second spiral completed yesterday, went a lot faster than the first thanks to having a completed spiral to take the measurements from for the cutting etc.

Next step is to get the cabling put in place and cut out the driver mounts in the front baffle.

Hi B,
excuse me, what thickness does has the foam?

Thanks

Hi fellow Cornu makers :) Had to take mine down for the moment because we're doing some `redecorating` So i was thinking this might be an excellent time to start on that second pair.

I was wondering how everyone is cutting their foamcore, i was using a knife and a ruler. But i was having a little trouble getting them perfectly straight, especially after cutting a few lanes there would be a few mm difference.

Hi fellow Cornu makers :) Had to take mine down for the moment because we're doing some `redecorating` So i was thinking this might be an excellent time to start on that second pair.

I was wondering how everyone is cutting their foamcore, i was using a knife and a ruler. But i was having a little trouble getting them perfectly straight, especially after cutting a few lanes there would be a few mm difference.

I was using a metal ruler and a scalpel. I found if I measured as accurately as possible and took my time cutting through the board, most of my pieces came out pretty close to each other. Like anything done by hand, there is going to be some variation but a mm or so isn't going to cause any major issues.

Guiseppe, The foam most of us are using is 3/16" or close to 5mm

Thanks all for help.
Yesterday I've looking around for flexyble plywood, and finally fond this :

Chapas naturales | Venta de madera Madera para modelismo Acetato de celulosa Mecanizado de madera

It has a lot of different thin wood (0,6mm - 0,2inch) for a reasonable price.
To arrive to a 5mm thickness would need to glue 8 layers...don't know if it's really worthy.

So probably will go ahead with foam, seems easier to cut and glue up.

Thanks and regards

Hi fellow Cornu makers :)

The only way I can get a really straight cut is using a box cutter (which I keep sharpening constantly, as a dull blade will just rip up the FC) and a metal straight edge, such as a dry wall T-square, which I _gently_ clamp down. The FC may be slightly dented by the clamped T-square, but not severely. Also, I carefully position myself so that I can make a straight pull--no reaching out at odd angles. The blade must be kept at a right angle to the FC so the edge isn't angled.

Cheers, Jim

Cornu surround sound?

I have a couple of sets of Cambridge Sound Works surround sound speakers for a 5.1 and a 3.1 computer setup that have a good sound to them but are looking very tired and scruffy. I'm thinking 7.1 or 9.1 with the two already made and a Sub setup using the two mini sub drivers with the system in another foam board box design. Both my Yammie amp and receiver are 5.1 capable and I can run everything in the system through the receiver or through both receiver and amp giving me either 5.1 or 10.2
icon_smile.gif
(OK it's 5.1 x2)

What do ya think of the idea and what do you think the odds will be on the Wife approving 10 surround sound Cornu's dotted around the living room even if they are all pictured up :)