Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

The FR12 has Qts of 1.87 which is too high - you will have very peaky bass. Try the FR10 with Qts of 0.67. This is a little smaller too so that you can fit in a reasonable size 75cm baffle. Probably 10 cm deep will work. FR 10 - 8 Ohm

Cheers for the reply. Pity the FR12's wouldn't be suitable as I had them on hand :(.

Would theFRS 8 - 8 Ohm work? I suspect they might not as the Qts is 1.04.

Haven't go AkaBak up and running yet to check, need to get a VM running XP since it won't work on my Windows 8 system.

BL21DE3, I couldn't find this particular driver in Spain either.
Finally ordered it from the US, for I couldn't find an European company which stocked it. Where are you planning to order it from?? It'd be great to know for future orders.

Cheers! And sorry for the off topic!

Edit: I just saw your last post with the link to the german website :shy: my apologies.

Last edited:
BL21DE3, I couldn't find this particular driver in Spain either.
Finally ordered it from the US, for I couldn't find an European company which stocked it. Where are you planning to order it from?? It'd be great to know for future orders.

Cheers! And sorry for the off topic!

Edit: I just saw your last post with the link to the german website :shy: my apologies.

No need to apologise, it's easy to miss things :)

RumoH - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers in the Netherlands also stock them.

Cheers for confirming the dimensions.

Found an online stockist doing a 3 for 2 offer on 30"x 20" 5mm foamboard sheets and by my estimates on the path lengths etc. I need 6 sheets for a 2 x 20" speakers (does that sound right?), which will work out about £3/sheet :)

So once I factor in other supplies (drivers, hot glue gun etc.) I'll be looking at ~£60 for the whole project. That's cheaper than the drivers alone in my last speaker build.

Time to start planning on printing the templates and ordering some foam :D

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
6 sheets of FC is about right, you may want to get a couple sheets extra as spares in case you have a mistake - it also comes in handy for future projects. If you are interested, the Nautaloss ref monitor can be made using a single sheet per speaker and one tc9fd - so you would have enough materials to try another great FC speaker with some spare sheets.

6 sheets of FC is about right, you may want to get a couple sheets extra as spares in case you have a mistake - it also comes in handy for future projects.

Cheers for confirming that for me. No doubt there will be mistakes knowing me :rolleyes:, might well get a few extra sheets.

My thinking at the moment is to build a prototype in foamboard and if I like it and it gets the seal of approval from the wife then move onto to building one out of plywood with flexible ply for the paths.

If you are interested, the Nautaloss ref monitor can be made using a single sheet per speaker and one tc9fd - so you would have enough materials to try another great FC speaker with some spare sheets.

It's bad enough I've got the itch to build the spirals without more ideas to consider. Though having said that it's nice to have something to think about for the next project :)

TB w3-315e

I have a pair of tangbang 3 inchers I would to put in a 2 ft square ply wood fronts and backs. what would be the best thickness and throat size if I made the spiral 22inches. When i had the picture inlarged the paper size limited me to the 22 inches. throat size is the opening to the spiral?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a pair of tangbang 3 inchers I would to put in a 2 ft square ply wood fronts and backs. what would be the best thickness and throat size if I made the spiral 22inches. When i had the picture inlarged the paper size limited me to the 22 inches. throat size is the opening to the spiral?

This driver will work fine in a 22 x 22 in x 3 in deep Cornu. The throat size is determined by the scaling, in this case it will be about a 1 in gap x 3 in high per side for 6 in square total throat area (39 cm^2). You can make it 2.5 in deep and it will work well still - reduced bass (which may not be a bad thing).