Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm ready to dive into the project and build a 50cm pair for my friend using the Foundtek FE85s and the TPA3116 to be driven from an iphone/laptop.

I was wondering if anyone knew offhand how long the spirals are so I can buy an appropriate amount of Foamcore.

I'm also going to use birch plywood for the front and back panels. Is this an appropriate material and would 6.5mm be too thin?

Welcome on board! The 50cm and TPA3116 are excellent choices. IIRC the longer channels are about 1.5m long or about 60 inches. There are 4 of the long ones and 4 shorter 1m long ones over 2 speakers. So you will need 10 meters total channel length. If you use standard 30 in long by 20 in wide and make channels 2.5 in deep you get 8 strips of 30 in long. The ply you mention is perfect for this.
Good luck.

Excellent, thank you for the quick response xrk.

Another thing came to mind: I would like to mount the drivers flush with the front panel as they will be covered by a silk painting, however this would leave only 6.5 - 3.8 = 2.7 mm of plywood for mounting. Is this enough or should I go for thicker (9 mm) birch?

24" Cornu

Hi Guys
I'm thinking of making another pair of Cornus in the 24" range. Could someone help me with selecting the best drivers for the job. I've narrowed it down to 5 options available at Solen. I hope this isn't too many ;)

cheers and a late happy new year :D

Attachments

• Peerless 830983.pdf
    103.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Peerless pls-50f25al01-04.pdf
    234.3 KB · Views: 52
  • TB W2-803SM.pdf
    187.3 KB · Views: 50
  • TB W2-852SH.pdf
    172.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Vifa ne65w-04.pdf
    296.2 KB · Views: 67
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Prezden,
I have never seen some of these 2 in Vifa drivers before - thanks for posting them. I will have to run a sim to be sure but I think the 24 in will be much more suited to the lower fs and larger Sd of the Vifa ne65w. It also has larger xmax than TB's. I don't like phase plugs on tiny drivers - they are giving up usable Sd and for a 2 in driver phase plugs are a gimmick. The Vifa also has larger xmax.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For a large Cornu, besides the Vifa 3.5" drivers, which would be the best speaker, considering cost and value? The wife wants these.

I have not built it but the sims indicate a CHR-70 is a good value for a 24 to 27 in x 4 in deep. Prezden has built 24 in with Tang Band W4 bamboo. That sims well too. Also, the Faital Pro 4FE35 is also a good candidate in same size as above.

Has anyone built or modeled a horn for the Mark Audio 7.3?

And I'm having fun trying to find the right foam on eBay, do you think it would be ok to adapt this silver lined camping mat?

eBay number 310683048337

Can't think of a good reason not to knock a pair of these up.

A silly question - can these be manufactured entirely from wood, possibly felt lined?

Thanks for any help.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Lorienblack,
You can use the A7.3 it would work very well - similar to a CHR70. I have run sims for both in a 24 in x 4 in deep Cornu. You could put it in a 27 in x 4.5 in Cornu and that works well too to get bass down to 50 Hz. You can make it out of wood as the original commercially available Cornu is wood and the is a website by Sebastien on how to do it in wood. It is very time consuming but may be a challenge you are looking for. The foam core version is easy and immediate gratification. I can't see the eBay link you posted. You want to go to an art or picture framing store to get the foam core. Unless there is a Dollar store in the UK? Or should I say a 'One Euro' store?

Starting a 20"X20" cornu spiral. Right now am laminating a 5mm luan door skin to a piece of dollar store foam core. Will also use the luan for the visible exit of the horn. If I get rid of the clunky box speakers there is enough room besides the flatscreen for two spirals. A thought. With some of the original German cornus, there was a reflector of sorts in the mouth.

To act as a reflector while being somewhat adsorbent, what about a kid's foam ball cut in half and glued to the back face of the center?

Why add a reflector?

If the intent is to direct bass frequencies into the spirals, it would be a waste of space. The wavelengths are much longer than the dimensions of the reflector, it would be invisible to them.

If the intent is to direct high frequencies into the spirals, it would be counter-productive. Part of the function of the enclosure behind the driver is to provide low-pass filtering at the input to the spirals, reducing the amount of HF energy radiated by the spirals.

If the intent is to redirect HF energy that would otherwise reflect back out through the cone, it's still a waste of time. There is already a large reflector right behind the cone, namely the basket and magnet. Another reflector behind that would be in the "shadow" of the first and thus ineffectual.

About the only effect you'd accomplish with a reflector would be to reduce the volume of the enclosure, changing the tuning. This might or might not help.