Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Found it.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 11.42.46 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
You would need to scale up the plans accordingly.
Always wondered if you could put the speaker on a short hollow "stem", if only to get a little more distance to the cabinet back wall. Perhaps pronounce the speaker by a few inches, cover the front with a few inches of damping material.

If you "adapted" a larger diameter driver using a conical structure, would that give some "venturi" effect at the right angle transition into the horn ends? This is understanding only the bass frequencies comes out the horns...

Reactions: 1 users
newbie, first post but not neophyte.
I finally start, and as it is here that I found the most information, it is to you that I expose my questions.

I have known Cornu for 10 or 15 years in short almost from the beginning and for lack of motivation time… I left this idea in the back of my brain.
Now I have a free space on a wall and anemic speakers from a small Denon amp that I want to replace.

So I am starting with your expertise as support.
I want to make the 74cm (29'') version in bendable 5mm (7/32'') plywood, the sides will certainly be in medium or 10mm (13/32'') plywood.
My first question concerns the choice of loudspeaker. I always wanted to do it with a Fostex example FE 103
Obviously the loudspeakers of the time are no longer on the market but I imagine that equivalences exist.

In your opinion, what is the best loudspeaker for a 74cm (29’’) Cornu speaker?

As there are contributors from all over the world on this forum, I hope to be able to easily find your advice in France or on the internet.

thank you for your interest in my project

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think the Faital Pro 3FE22 would be a great choice. You might even try 4FE32 but I think 3FE22 is smoother and will have plenty of bass. These will get 91dB sensitivity. It’s hard to find high sensitivity full range drivers better than these at the moment IMO.

Fostex FF85WK can work well too but less Xmax so won’t play as loud. Not sure if FF105WK will fit.

Visaton B80 is a great choice and ScanSpeak 10F/8424 or 10F/8414 are also great if you don’t mind 87dB sensitivity.

But what is “best” is going to be what the listener/builder thinks sounds best.

thank for your interest
I spent a few many hours going through the 143 pages of this post. what a wealth of experience and knowledge.
despite some reservations I would be tempted to make the spiral version presented by XRK971.
I will try to slightly modify the end of the horn by continuing the curve to avoid the flat part. so the square will surely be 80cm (31'') I don't know if it's a good idea?
thank you for the loudspeaker proposals, I'm looking at availability. I imagine that for this size of speaker you need a 4'' or 5'' loudspeaker, so the B80 rather than the FF85. am I right?

I still have time to choose the right loudspeaker but I notice that the B80 is limited with 85 db of output.
Originally I believe it was an FE 103. currently Fostex is releasing the FE103NV2
Total Surge Factor 0.46
Freq. Resonance 91.8 hz
VAS 4.3L
mms 2.5g
88.5db output

the B80 has very different characteristics for example
Total Surge Factor 0.63
Freq. Resonance 110 hz

In your opinion, what characteristics are important for a cornu enclosure 31''? and what target for these characteristics?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sensitivity, lower Qts, smoothness of measured factory response.

The 3FE22-8 is very good in this regard.

If you don’t mind the lower sensitivity the B80 is smoother.

The 10F gives 87dB and is even smoother.

But none have 91dB sensitivity like 3FE22.

The speaker is pretty tolerant to different drivers and you need not fret so much. Pick a driver you like regardless and look for ones with higher sensitivity.

Ultimately you will have to decide this for yourself.
If price is no object go for the ScanSpeak.
If sensitivity is very important go for the 3FE at half the price of the SSpeak.
Recommendation is not easy as we all have different objectives.
I, being a frugal person, would grab the 3FE without hesitation.
Later, much later, may decide to try the 10F, but is it twice as good as the Faital, hence is it worth the extra outlay?

Will give you another example as you are from a wine country and I actually make wine: would you recommend a Grenache from the Southern Rhone or a Pinot Noir from Burgundy? Pinot is definitely more expensive, but is it that much better than Grenache?
I doubt it.
And I like both, and I grow one of them.

thank you for the wine philosophy lesson.
when I read the experts in loudspeakers, each type of speaker requires very specific loudspeakers, with an extensive analysis of the Thiele and Small parameters, in short, it's a science.
Often the experts do not agree, and this science becomes a not very exact pseudo science with a lot of subjectivity, but also very sectarian. everyone has these beliefs and their solutions.
I do not believe in anything, I am not an expert, I would rather follow the good advice and trust my ear according to my experiences.

the problem is that I do not intend to do several loudspeaker tests on this project, so I will have to settle for YOUR experiences and YOUR advice.

I understand the advice not to seek perfection and that there is surely not a single speaker choice solution.

but I would only buy one loudspeaker for this project, so I might as well get a good one right away and not rely solely on the price.

Great,
I can assure you winemaking and speaker building have much in common, only that you have to be involved in both to see it.
Both are heavily reliant on science, pseudo science, intuition and experience. Both are forms of art and science at the same time. Problem is these things can not be taught, one has to experience them personally.
If I were to give you one advice it is this:
do not follow the "good advice" but find out for yourself.
Luckily in speaker building errors can be corrected rather quickly unlike in winemaking.

So long story short: go ahead and buy that 3FE and have a go.