Euphonic Mechanisms in Amplifiers

Surprised no one has mentioned phase of the harmonics, relative to the fundamental. Amplitude of the harmonics analysis doesnt care what the phase is; it's just a level. Perhaps your ears do. Or can tell.

I'm not a good enough designer in either the electrical or mechanical realm to be able to manipulate the phase of any harmonics that some component impresses upon an audio signal passing through.

Unsure I could do it even with DSP invoking pure mathematics on an audio signal.

;-)
May be, these can only counter the sound of bad speakers with their bad sound;-) An old garage punk recording would reveal the "cheating";-)
No, this is with Sound Lab ESL panels. Had a visitor recently, a friend of Nelson Pass, and good diy designer. Guy had good ears and a lot of experience. Said he couldn't believe there wasn't a tube anywhere in the system. Said he didn't know such high quality sound was even attainable. Visit mentioned briefly in another thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/schade-common-gate-scg-preamp.380487/post-7236564

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Output impedances of a few tenths of an ohm or greater will noticeably shift the speaker crossover points.
Does it? Certainly a higher output impedance amplifier would affect the woofer Q enough to make a noticeable difference. But crossover points? I can't remember that happening in my builds and I can't get it to happen in XSim. Can you demonstrate this?

Does it? Certainly a higher output impedance amplifier would affect the woofer Q enough to make a noticeable difference. But crossover points? I can't remember that happening in my builds and I can't get it to happen in XSim. Can you demonstrate this?
I have both simulated and measured the effects.

Typically, the tweeter crossover -3dB point is lowered and the woofer -3dB point is raised. This results in an emphasis at the crossover point (+1dB with 0.4 ohms on my MG1.6s). The crossover frequency remains unchanged.

Two decades ago on another board, some members swore that Magnepans sounded better with tube amplification. I traced the cause to output impedances of a few tenths of an ohm shifting the crossover -3dB points.
Ed

The vast majority overlook clarity, cleanliness as another important basis for "euphony"-)
The vast majority of "euphonic" amplifiers, mostly attributed to the distortion behavior, are minimal amplifiers: only a few components modulate, noise, dirt the signal with their noise, dirt;-)
And: tube amplifiers are also because of this a super basis for listening euphoria;-)

Avoid highly complex analog complementary transistors push-pull circuits. They rumble gray and flat three tones only;-)
This simple & minimal AB1 two stage A-class power amp is known to many people as 2A3 SET killer , his efficiency is very low , produce just few Watts but sounds just OK in combination with high efficiency 16-Ohm LS , it is designed by Alexander Bokarev (Russia) ,the man with decades long great experience as electronics designer .

Attachments

• AB1 ver 4.0.png
    AB1 ver 4.0.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: 1 users
This simple & minimal AB1 two stage A-class power amp is known to many people as 2A3 SET killer , his efficiency is very low , produce just few Watts but sounds just OK in combination with high efficiency 16-Ohm LS , it is designed by Alexander Bokarev (Russia) ,the man with decades long great experience as electronics designer .
Cool design!
Could be, a single output-cap instead C3 and C4 would sound better)-;

Let's say, one created a servo that chased whatever DC voltage is at the drain of the above circuit. Maybe with a 1Hz bandwidth.

Followed by a power stage of some sort; class AB, Class D, whatever; it's effectively a regulated power supply output. Then connect the speaker from the drain to the output of that circuit, sitting at the same quiescent voltage as the drain.

Would the sound of the amp change, because C3 / C4 are no longer conducting AC current?

One thing is sure: clipping/overloading behavior has nothing to do with "sweet sound". Amplifiers are never listened to near clipping.
In the real world , (not in audiophile circles). I can hear my neighbor's cheap Walmart speakers clip all day.
The poor clip their cheap OEM systems regularly. I've clipped my 35W satellites (3886 chip) .. not bad unless you really overdrive it.
I can't clip my sub with 150W amp , but most likely would not hear it. Port turbulence and woofer THD are more of a factor than the amp.
I have heard (more pleasing) sound from symmetrical designs running an output triple OPS . Especially near clipping. PSRR and damping might
be the factor here. Fancy wires and "audiophile caps" - NOPE ... short of just having the right parts for reliability and a good design.

Or the so called horrible "sound bars"
which I was recently giving for free.

Expecting the dreadful sound so acclaimed.
Ironically it actually sound pretty good, and the wannabe
little sub does rather well.

All its tubeless , bluetooth, Class D blasphemy
Streaming from my phone
That one Duke Ellington track.
I dont have a copy of. Streamed away and still made me
cry like it always does.

Speech in movies lacks detail for sure.
Music works well.

Great thing about low grade systems, even a change to a
"mid grade" HiFi system. It makes it, a more... uplifting experience.
When people hear such detail in even a average hifi system for the
first time

Class AB push-pull have bad sound .... what BS. Bad designs have bad sound. oscillations, X-over distortion , cheap PS's.
Someone mentioned Phase. Yes , I'm designing a variable phase control for my new sub. VERY important to keep whatever phase shift
I select between 25-100hz consistent. Sharp cutoff above 100hz , where any op-amp filter will exhibit unacceptable shift,

That's the received wisdom on the topic, but it's been hard to prove. Ask forum member @Wavebourn about it, he's done the experiment
I've been doing the experiments for nearly sixty years playing the organ. A 4' diapason stop adds sweetness: this is 2H (lots of it). A 2' adds brilliance: this is 4H. A 2-2/3' ads nasal it's: this is 3H, and only used when soloing. And so on. This is certainly received wisdom, all the way back to Bach and beyond.

Reactions: 1 users