ES9038Q2M Board

Amanero boards cost from about $40 to $100. That is to say, the clone versions are the cheap ones and the real one which is made in Italy costs close to $100. You don't necessarily need an Amanero board if you use upsampling. Depending on which upsampler board used, you might want an Amanero, XMOS or maybe some other USB to SPDIF board.

Last edited:
I got my opamp from DigiKey. No only get ease of mind of getting authentic part. They are often cheaper than most ebay sellers.

The super board has the USB subboard that the basic board does not have. That's why I think it may be worth it.

I am looking at some assembled ES9028PRO boxes for $300 on AliExpress. The opamp is already upgraded to LME89720/89710. I plan to do the dual toroidal transformer upgrade myself. Then I worry about the other mod you and Markw4 suggested.
ES9038 ES9028PRO ES9018 DAC audio decoder Amanero USB interface Support DSD coaxial optical with Remote Control Shield USB cable-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Consider an R-core transformer instead of a toroid. They pass much less mains noise through the windings.

Also for op-amps. the ADA4898 is worth looking at. The dynamic specs are very good - noise is less than the LME49720 - and it has an ultra-linear input stage, which makes it especially suitable for I/V.

Op-amp requirements for a I/V converter?

I just looked at the ADA4898. Turned out not to be worth looking at. Distortion at audio frequencies is poor. The data sheet even says on the first page, "for use in 16-bit and 18-bit systems." You may be unaware that modern audio DACs are capable of performance well in excess of 18-bits. So, please be careful not to inadvertently give bad advice if you don't really know the subject matter.

R-core transformers, as normally wound, are of split-bobbin construction. So, it is true there is less capacitive coupling from primary to secondary as compared to the way torroidal transformers are normally wound.

However, either type of core can be wound in configurations other than as we typically see them. It may be worth looking to make sure you know what you will be getting.

Both R-core and torroidal transformers tend to have less stray magnetic field leakage than E-I core transformers do.

I just looked at the ADA4898. Turned out not to be worth looking at. Distortion at audio frequencies is poor. The data sheet even says on the first page, "for use in 16-bit and 18-bit systems." You may be unaware that modern audio DACs are capable of performance well in excess of 18-bits. So, please be careful not to inadvertently give bad advice if you don't really know the subject matter.

R-core transformers, as normally wound, are of split-bobbin construction. So, it is true there is less capacitive coupling from primary to secondary as compared to the way torroidal transformers are normally wound.

However, either type of core can be wound in configurations other than as we typically see them. It may be worth looking to make sure you know what you will be getting.

Both R-core and torroidal transformers tend to have less stray magnetic field leakage than E-I core transformers do.

AMEN:worship:

Consider an R-core transformer instead of a toroid. They pass much less mains noise through the windings.
Can you provide a link to the latest study on this subject. Earlier wisdom seems to say the opposite. R-core is cheaper, but not necessarily better, than Toroidal.

Pete Millett said:
R-Core Transformers

A more recent development is the “R” core, which you can think of as a cross between the C-core and a true toroidal core. R-cores are wound from a continuous strip of metal and are formed into a shape with two straight sides, like a C-core.
Instead of using a constant-width strip of metal, the R-core is wound from a strip of varying width, so that the finished core winds up with a circular cross section. Unlike the C-core, the R-core is not cut to assemble the windings — instead, the windings are done on a bobbin that is assembled over the circular cross section of the core, then rotated to wind on the wire.
The R-core transformer is nearly as good as the toroid in terms of stray flux. It has an advantage over the toroid because the turns of wire are spaced equally around the core, since they are wound on a straight section of the core.
The windings on a toroid are spaced closer on the inside of the core, and wider on the outside. The fact that the winding is done on a bobbin on a straight section of the core makes the R-core much easier to wind, lowering the cost of the finished transformer.
R-core transformers are currently used in mid- to high-end consumer electronics equipment from Japan. In the US, they are still quite uncommon and almost as expensive as toroids, but I hope this will change as they become more popular here. The R-core transformer has the potential to become the predominant choice for use in audio equipment, providing all of the benefits of toroidal transformers at a lower cost.

More details at:Power Transformers for Audio Equipment | audioXpress

Another consideration is the practical aspect of availability. There are many manufacturer of Toroidal Transformer in the US, making it widely available and cheap to ship. The R-core transformers are often shipped across Pacific from China, making it more expensive than Toroid in the US, for the same capacity VA.

Last edited:
I already have toroids sitting in boxes collected and retrieved over the years. The thing is that if you filter before the toroid I see the toroid as just as good.but since I alrady got it....then its the best to me. To that end my DAC has a standard transformer yanked from a SHURE HTS2000, a C core and a Corcom EMI filter preceding them. These days, a filter before the transformer is mandatory for me. 20-30 years ago AC was cleaner. I tend to pull what might come in handy and store it just in case.

The distortion performance of the ADA part is very good, if not quite state of the art. The feature of interest for I/V stages is it's highly linear input stage.
This is where high feedback parts can fall down when facing HF content, such as that output by noise shaping converters, despite otherwise excellent performance. Many experienced designers advocate circuits that are comfortable facing large amounts of RF content even if their THD is somewhat worse. I'm not being dogmatic on the subject, I am offering this to people who may wish to explore alternatives. As such, I think this is fair advice to offer.

As far as transformers are concerned, R-cores typically have less capacitance than toroidals, Toroidals sometimes have an electrostatic screen, which will help, but still subjectively I've always found R-cores to sound cleaner, as have many other people. Again I think this is a fair recommendation to make.

Re. your comments not to give bad advice, I've tried to show why I've given the advise I have. People interested can read up on the subject matters described if they want to - part of the fun of all this is there is always so much to learn.

More generally speaking, you've helped a lot of people with their adventures, and generated a lot of interest with your considerable contribution. I admire that.

But I was also concerned that you were speaking with great confidence on matters you clearly did not understand, such as how SRCs work, or noise performance in regulators. If I came across as abrasive, I apologies, but you may want to consider being more open to alternative solutions.

Can you provide a link to the latest study on this subject. Earlier wisdom seems to say the opposite. R-core is cheaper, but not necessarily better, than Toroidal.

R-cores are better in that they usually have less interwinding capacitance than toroidals, hence they couple less mains noise into a power supply. The piece from Audio Amateur doesn't mention this, but it's a consequence of how they are wound.

I already have toroids sitting in boxes collected and retrieved over the years. The thing is that if you filter before the toroid I see the toroid as just as good.but since I alrady got it....then its the best to me. To that end my DAC has a standard transformer yanked from a SHURE HTS2000, a C core and a Corcom EMI filter preceding them. These days, a filter before the transformer is mandatory for me. 20-30 years ago AC was cleaner. I tend to pull what might come in handy and store it just in case.

That all sounds very reasonable. It's just one aspect people may want to experiment with if they have the inclination.

@Spartacus, My concern regarding opamps is we have readers at all different technical levels interested in making better DACs. When someone says a particular opamp is worth taking a look at, that can lead to people popping them into sockets willy-nilly without much understanding. That sort of thing would probably not be conducive to forward progress in getting the best out of the DACs we are discussing here.

Maybe the opamps in question might have been worth taking a look at 6 years ago, but DAC resolution has improved a lot, and given that we don't have much in the way of test equipment to evaluate opamps from a time back when 18-bit performance was SOA it seemed like more of a distraction than something likely to be helpful. Thus, I have been encouraging people to follow ESS recommendations which I have shown can work to meet ESS specifications and also have compared SQ with Benchmark DAC-3 to verify that the result also sounds good and is getting pretty close to a well-known standard among modern audio DACs. If we can do that well with the LME49720 opamps ESS specifically and strongly recommends then it seems we would be getting pretty off-track to try something that doesn't look like it can do much better (or likely do as well) for this DAC chip.

If you had made the point that a particular opamp that is more typically used for lower resolution systems might be worth looking at for those that have some expertise as well as test equipment to verify results, then I would not take issue with it.

Thank you for the info!
Q9 ES9028 ES9028PRO HiFi Audio Decoder SUPER DAC assembled board | eBay

I am talking about the IV side. The AVCC side, it appears that they have provided separate regulators for L & R but only 4 channels of the 9028 are tied together and that apparently is strictly for superior SNR. This is not complete dual mono. If you want to get even better SNR ratio then I would suspect that the 9038pro would give that to you. However one thing I considered was that the currents out of the DAC are higher in the 9038pro and if you tie all 8 channels from a 9028pro, then it also would have higher currents.
When I read about this thing Russ White was warning about the significant increase in currents on the 9038PRO for the IV. I don't know how to assess whether or not this is handled by the chinesium DACs on Ebay as they appear to use the same IV circuits from the 9018 through to the 9038. Seeing this I stayed away from the 9038 despite being a only few dollars more. With the 9028pro I assessed the odds of it being ok and it tilted as lower risk.
This board does come with what appears to be shunt regulator for the IV circuit rather than a series type. Shunts are now the preferred route provided they are implemented properly like everything else. Also discrete op amps which are somewhat controversial for me.
The other thing to consider, again using the Benchmark product. They stayed away from the 9038. If it was a drop in replacement, they'd be on it. So something is up. Even Twisted Pear will recommend a 9028pro depending on your needs. At this time mine are purely FLAC and some treasured MP3s of tunes from my youth. So no DSD now for the time being.

... matters you clearly did not understand, such as how SRCs work, or noise performance in regulators. I

Spartacus, at any time if you feel I am giving incorrect advice to people or explaining something in a way that is misleading or incorrect, then I would ask that you bring it up at the time you believe there is a problem. It is my wish to provide people with accurate information in a form that is hopefully as intuitive as possible. I am by no means perfect and I do make mistakes from time to time. No question about that.

However, to drop vague complaints sometime later when I have no idea what you are referring to is not helpful to me or other people reading your words. If you would like to go back and quote something I wrote that you believe to be incorrect that would fine. Maybe we can get it straightened out now so as to make sure that correct information is given out in this thread.

@Spartacus, My concern regarding opamps is we have readers at all different technical levels interested in making better DACs. When someone says a particular opamp is worth taking a look at, that can lead to people popping them into sockets willy-nilly without much understanding. That sort of thing would probably not be conducive to forward progress in getting the best out of the DACs we are discussing here.

I can't see why someone would have any issue using the ADA part instead. Obviously some people just want to follow an easy path to good results. That's fine of course. Others like to try out alternatives, which may be better in some respect. Surely that's fine also.

Maybe the opamps in question might have been worth taking a look at 6 years ago, but DAC resolution has improved a lot, and given that we don't have much in the way of test equipment to evaluate opamps from a time back when 18-bit performance was SOA it seemed like more of a distraction than something likely to be helpful. Thus, I have been encouraging people to follow ESS recommendations which I have shown can work to meet ESS specifications and also have compared SQ with Benchmark DAC-3 to verify that the result also sounds good and is getting pretty close to a well-known standard among modern audio DACs. If we can do that well with the LME49720 opamps ESS specifically and strongly recommends then it seems we would be getting pretty off-track to try something that doesn't look like it can do much better (or likely do as well) for this DAC chip.

You seem to be going by the assumption that THD says all that is worth saying about a part's performance. For I/V especially, this isn't always the case as I explained earlier. I've been looking for a white paper that explains why, and will post it if I find it.

Also, I'm not sure why you think the ADA's THD is so poor. Looks very good to me. THD is only specified down to 100KHz under various conditions. It will improve a lot as frequency drops and loop gain increases.

The fact that ESS recommends one particular part doesn't mean it's necessarily the best, just that it's a safe choice to get a specified technical performance. Manufacturers are heavily spec driven because of the nature of the business, but one spec never tells the whole story about either objective or subjective performance.

I can't see why someone would have any issue using the ADA part instead. Obviously some people just want to follow an easy path to good results. That's fine of course. Others like to try out alternatives, which may be better in some respect. Surely that's fine also.

You seem to be going by the assumption that THD says all that is worth saying about a part's performance. For I/V especially, this isn't always the case as I explained earlier. I've been looking for a white paper that explains why, and will post it if I find it.

Also, I'm not sure why you think the ADA's THD is so poor. Looks very good to me. THD is only specified down to 100KHz under various conditions. It will improve a lot as frequency drops and loop gain increases.

The fact that ESS recommends one particular part doesn't mean it's necessarily the best, just that it's a safe choice to get a specified technical performance. Manufacturers are heavily spec driven because of the nature of the business, but one spec never tells the whole story about either objective or subjective performance.

+1:violin:

I, and the folks at this thread, are aware of the Pro-Ject PreBox S2, SMSL M8A and Topping D50 and the good reviews that they received. But they do not have the I/V balanced output stage and are not conductive to DIY style upgrade. The lowest priced name brand ES9028Q2M box with I/V output is the Topping NX7 at $500.

I am using a generic brand ES9028Q2M box which sounds quite good to me, at only half the SMSL M8A price and allows me to use an Apple Remote for the input and function control.
NEW ES9038 ES9038Q2M DAC HIFI Decoder AUDIO IIS DSD DOP 384KHz + Amanero USB | eBay
s-l1600b.jpg s-l1600d.jpg
The ES9028PRO package is another step up in sound quality. To be honest, I do not know how audible the sound improvement is. I just trust Markw4 and Mikett that it is worthwhile. Then I can judge it myself when I get the ES9028PRO. And the other half of the fun is to do the mod.

Last edited: