ES9038Q2M Board

For best performance LT3042 is needed only for AVCC (ESS dacs) and Vref (AKM dacs). LP5907 works fine for all other power supply pins.
Could be. I never tried the LP5907.
Analog supply for AKM dacs is really critical though.
My thinking is why go with the cheaper solution if I want top quality sound.
I never came across a better ldo like the LT3042 so I use it even on places where it might not be as audible.

To change the DAC sound better there are many methods, such as changing the opamp, changing the ldo, optimizing the digital signal, anti-interference, changing the secondary source, changing the capacitor, changing the layout , changing the operating system, etc... generally changing anything in the design can change the quality not necessarily LDO.
There are designs that only use lm317,lt1084 that still give good performance the important thing is in the design, and the consistency of that design, someone who likes the sound of AKM may not like the sound of the ESS and vice versa, so maybe the change for the AKM lover on ESS will be different from the one who likes ESS on AKM, so there is no such thing as the best concept only the best concept for you is not sure for me

For best performance LT3042 is needed only for AVCC (ESS dacs) and Vref (AKM dacs). LP5907 works fine for all other power supply pins.
According to my analysis, the utralow noise source using the integrated ic is suitable for digital sources and the source using discrete semiconductors is suitable for analog sources and the previous supply for the LDO of the digital source.

The charm of the several thousand messages long discussions is that one can stop by once a year and find the same matters in focus again :) So ESS DAC powering again.. I can say once more that besides PS low noise, load transient = flat output impedance over wide frequency range matters a lot. Indeed LT3042 wins here. Or discrete shunt regulators then, since it is DIY after all! That’s for AVCC of course. Everywhere else LP5907 or MP20051 should be fine.

Agree that using the lt3042 when measuring better, but the result is sharper and thinner sound that causes ear fatigue, instead of using the lt3042, I use a high capacitance capacitor on AVCC to improve the measurement and the sound is somewhat more pleasant.
Those regs require a proper implementation as mentioned earlier by bohrok2610… caps are easy.. you can solder them until the PS starts to oscillate 🥸

Some of those LDOs sound better if you put a load resistor from the output to ground. It helped the sound with an Iancanada dac for AVCC when an ADM7150 was being used as the regulator. Still didn't sound as good as some discrete designs that have been tried though. To get enough current through the load resistor it can help to keep the voltage drop across the regulator kind of minimal so it doesn't cut out out on over power protection. I might use 5v input for LT1763 as a 3.3v regulator, and maybe a 47R, 1/2W load to ground for some circuits. In other cases a load resistor doesn't help at all. It is believed that adjusting the pass transistor current changes its gain and thus the loop gain of the regulator.

Agree that using the lt3042 when measuring better, but the result is sharper and thinner sound that causes ear fatigue, instead of using the lt3042, I use a high capacitance capacitor on AVCC to improve the measurement and the sound is somewhat more pleasant.
Depends on the implementation. I use LT3042 on AVCC and get excellent performance and sound without any ear fatigue.

Some of those LDOs sound better if you put a load resistor from the output to ground. It helped the sound with an Iancanada dac for AVCC when an ADM7150 was being used as the regulator. Still didn't sound as good as some discrete designs that have been tried though. To get enough current through the load resistor it can help to keep the voltage drop across the regulator kind of minimal so it doesn't cut out out on over power protection. I might use 5v input for LT1763 as a 3.3v regulator, and maybe a 47R, 1/2W load to ground for some circuits. In other cases a load resistor doesn't help at all. It is believed that adjusting the pass transistor current changes its gain and thus the loop gain of the regulator.
This seems to produce an apparently polarized shunt effect of 70mA. dissipation current

Its an old trick, not my invention. Try it and see if it helps or don't. Up to you. If you do try it then probably you will find it helps in some cases, but not in others.

Also, although there is a shunt effect, the gain of a transistor is in part dependent on its collector current. Look at the graphs and equations. Since the pass transistor is in the feedback loop, its gain is part of the loop gain. When a regulator IC is designed its necessary to make sure it will be stable under all specified operating conditions. Some of those conditions will result in more or less error amplifier loop gain.

A shunt effect may have some benefit as well. To some extent it will change the impedance of the interface between the regulator and the load. In some cases maybe that could have some beneficial effect. However, it doesn't really matter exactly how the trick works as a practical matter when you have other problems to work on too. Optimize the regulator you have as best you can and if that makes it good enough to keep then probably best to move on to the next problem.

OTOH if you want to study regulators and publish measurements under different conditions, that's could be too.

Last edited:
1692440465749.png

in another development PCM1794 SRC

1692449899237.png
1692449914025.png

i will publish 20 pcs next month, using custom Linux ARCH supporting Roon ready , Spotify connect , Tital connect , Quboz , Amazon music HD, DLNA rendener, HighresAUDIO, Airplay2, internet Radio, NAS, USB.
It also supports fast switching USB DAC with DAC inside without rebooting

Last edited: