EQ1616D Phono Amp

Assembled EQ1616D is available now
Price $985 KIT Version --> Available
Price $1,995 ASSEMBLED Version ( Assembled by SunValley Japan with tube set (Gold Lion ECC83/B759 X 2 + Brimar ECC82 X 1 + COSSOR/LINLAI WE 274B) + VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 (output Cap)
Price $1,545 assembled version w/o tube set . VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 included) + shipping (new price for December Production-)

This kit does not come with tube set. The following 3 combinations are recommended.

(Plum set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / B759 x 3 + LINLAI 274B
Standard combination. Natural charm

(Bamboo set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / B759  x 3
WE 274B
Powerful midrange

(Pine set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / 12AX7  x 2
Brimar 12AU7 x 1
WE274B x 1
Vcap ODAM 2.2uF [2 pieces] x 1

Superb harmonics
UPgrade options:
Gold Lion (ECC83/B759 X 2 + Brimar ECC82 X 1) = $215
Cossor /LinLai WE274B $285
LINLAI 274B $ 45
Mundorf Supreme 2.2 X 2 $55 each
VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 $89
VKung - Do we order these from you? What's the process?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished my build last week, and used internal SKY 20 SUTs instead of the MC Board. Here are some photos. It sounds superb. Oh, I also used all Metal Film Resistors, VCap Odam and Mundorf MCap EVO Aluminum Oil Caps instead of the supplied film caps. Still doing some tube rolling. So far, I am happy with the Bugle Boy tubes and the PSVane 274b. Still breaking in, but The SKY 20 is a perfect match for the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum.

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_4112.jpg
    IMG_4112.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_4113.jpg
    IMG_4113.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 385
Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone explain what the "USA-SP" and "EU-SP" settings are for on the bass equalization knob? What kind of recordings would require these settings?
My understanding is that these are for the various equalization methods used in the past. If you have an older SP European record, you would use the "EU-SP" equalizer setting that is the inverse of the equalization the record was recorded with. This would result in a flat equalization curve. Check this wikipedia article for more history and details.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks vinylaudio. I get the equalization part, but I've never heard of "SP" records either from the US or Europe - and the curves for these settings are quite unusual, with very little bass boost and flat treble. I was wondering if anyone had any examples of SP records - either specific examples or companies that used this equalization curve.

https://dssoundlabs.com/gramophone-dreams-42-sunvalley-audio-sv-eq1616d-phono-equalizer/

I remember the first record I played on the SV-EQ1616D because it made me gasp in disbelief.​

The $ 3000 Parasound JC 3+ phono stage was in the system, and I was using Ortofon’s $ 755 2M black moving magnet cartridge to assess the character of the Sphinx V3 integrated amplifier phono stage. by Rogue Audio. The 2M Black sounded exceptionally lively, 3D and exciting with both the built-in Rogue and the JC 3+. Sunvalley’s phono equalizer took the “exceptionally lively” one step further. The sounds of the recordings seemed to burst into my room, charged and bright.​

The Parasound JC 3+ is an exceptionally well-designed thinking men’s phono stage. It’s good at everything, sound and metering wise, except it seems a bit weak in thrills and glow.​

I recently completed assembling the SV-EQ1616D, but have two voltages out of spec. The situation is almost exactly what VinylAudio posted in October, 20121 with P1L1 and P2R1 registering about 270 volts DC, rather than 162 volts. Similarly, as noted by VinylAudio's situation, I have 300 volts coming off the rectifier. After about 18 hours of inspecting my overall installation and solder joints, checking continuity everywhere I can think of, checking ground connections, checking and rechecking each resistor, I am no closer to find the problem than when I started. I was wondering if anyone might have some advice, particularly since VinylAudio indicated that they eventually solved the issue. Thanks much.

I recently completed assembling the SV-EQ1616D, but have two voltages out of spec. The situation is almost exactly what VinylAudio posted in October, 20121 with P1L1 and P2R1 registering about 270 volts DC, rather than 162 volts. Similarly, as noted by VinylAudio's situation, I have 300 volts coming off the rectifier. After about 18 hours of inspecting my overall installation and solder joints, checking continuity everywhere I can think of, checking ground connections, checking and rechecking each resistor, I am no closer to find the problem than when I started. I was wondering if anyone might have some advice, particularly since VinylAudio indicated that they eventually solved the issue. Thanks much.
pls email me I can guide you via facetime