EnABL Processes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making a slow progres

with Enabled Lowther . I have to admit it is interesting but also frustrating experience . Being naive I thought the things will be pretty much the same , but better .This is not the case .For those who know Lowther it is known that the driver is fussy and unforgiving . With Enabl process it became ruthless .I made some changes to the setup (amps , cables ) and many more are still in the way. It feels like the mikes from the stage are hooked up to your amp and you sitting in the front row or standing next too -not very relaxing experience .The Enabl process might "wake up" some dull sounding drivers and I think Fostex 208E Sigma (and others) could benefit greatly but with Lowther you sitting on the edge ! It is not taming Lowther like Bud called it but "un-taming" I need a few months ... Regards and please post your experiences with the process effect on other drivers (or lowthers) L

There is one CD I use that was a live untreated recording at a performance I attended. It is quite interesting to hear how mic location recording differs from sitting at the seat. Most mics are hung high, and the distance perception is more clear because mics are located furtyher away from reflecting surfaces. So reference source material is important for tuning.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
soongsc,

I started to do a composite of the FR charts you posted to make comparison easier, but the jpg noise (and that they aren't all the same size) has caused me to give up on that... posted below are 3 i compositied before deciding i couldn't bust thru the noise.

If you could repost them as gifs (jpg is only suitable for photos) i could proceed. All the same size & larger wouldn't hurt.

dave

Attachments

• partial.gif
    partial.gif
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,284
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
454Casull said:
PNG would be even better (smaller than GIF for the same quality).

png is not suitable for this (it is still an RGB file) .. what you are after is a very limited number of colours with no noise... a low bit gif satisfies that requirement.

And they aren't smaller... the png of the above attachment is >200k, the 4-bit gif is 52 k, and if i'd been able to start out with gifs it would be even smaller.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
454Casull said:
How many colors are you using for your PNG file?

it didn't let me choose... in this instance the size is of no concern, it is saving the file with no added noise & with a limited, indexed colour palette so as to make it easy to manipulate the comparison.

Even when i made sure the png was the same bit depth (using graphic converter) the png was over twice as big. (and that is without considering that the gif file has been scaled up by almost 200%.

I do use photoshop, and since that is what i use to assemble comparison charts, the file needs to suit that ap. to edit the color table in a png i'd have to go into graphic converter...

dave

planet10 said:
soongsc,

I started to do a composite of the FR charts you posted to make comparison easier, but the jpg noise (and that they aren't all the same size) has caused me to give up on that... posted below are 3 i compositied before deciding i couldn't bust thru the noise.

If you could repost them as gifs (jpg is only suitable for photos) i could proceed. All the same size & larger wouldn't hurt.

dave
I'll give it a try, Just capturing out of a Word screen it's hard to get each screen that same size and get the text in. You could also tell me what color scheme is good, and I can just combine them in SoundEasy.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
soongsc said:
I'll give it a try, Just capturing out of a Word screen it's hard to get each screen that same size and get the text in. You could also tell me what color scheme is good, and I can just combine them in SoundEasy.

Passing any graphic thru Word will compromise it... what does SoundEasy export as? Or even just take screen snaps....

The best color-scheme for manipulation are bright & bold with distinct colours for pertinent info and white for unimportant stuff (ie the blue & yellow around the axis scale & the title would be best as white. I like a 75% grey for the graticles and black for the axis. The curves should be a solid distinct single colour.

dave

planet10 said:

it didn't let me choose... in this instance the size is of no concern, it is saving the file with no added noise & with a limited, indexed colour palette so as to make it easy to manipulate the comparison.

Even when i made sure the png was the same bit depth (using graphic converter) the png was over twice as big. (and that is without considering that the gif file has been scaled up by almost 200%.

I do use photoshop, and since that is what i use to assemble comparison charts, the file needs to suit that ap. to edit the color table in a png i'd have to go into graphic converter...

dave
Very interesting. The images I've worked with always end up smaller when I make them PNG with the Save for Web... function than GIF with the equivalent bit depth.

planet10 said:

Passing any graphic thru Word will compromise it... what does SoundEasy export as? Or even just take screen snaps....

The best color-scheme for manipulation are bright & bold with distinct colours for pertinent info and white for unimportant stuff (ie the blue & yellow around the axis scale & the title would be best as white. I like a 75% grey for the graticles and black for the axis. The curves should be a solid distinct single colour.

dave
I think using word is just a way of combining graph and notes. Screen capture program is used to capture the graphs and crop it to the region of interes. I just look at some of the key peak and valley locations to figure out a trend. Too detail stuff may vary from driver to driver, so it might not make sense to draw conclusions from. I would like to see other peoples measurements though.

This is the best I can do for now. Light colored graph is changing of cone edge. Dark colored graph is changing cap and mid cone. Hope you can figure out which is which in the graphs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

I decided to use acrylic poster paint, since I'm having trouble finding the materials. I didn't find suitable conformal coating, so I only apply the pattern.

Today I tried putting EnabL pattern on some thin carton food packaging , comparing the sound when I flick my finger on them, there's difference in the sound , normal pattern 1 -1 sequence and 2-2 (BudP pattern ) sequence seems to be less resonant than no pattern, with 2-2 pattern better. I notice as the pattern dries there's difference in the sound .But I'm still unsure about applying it to speaker.

so I decided to experiment on my cheap paper cone computer speaker ( around 3.3 cm diameter ) it's very cheap, it even combine the stereo input into mono , no opamp , just discrete transistor, probalbly single ended class A/B , AC coupled, probably less than 1 watt power.

removed (destryoed literally ) the plastic grill and cloth covering the driver, and played a CD(Jacky cheung) through my computer onboard soundcard. I listened and began putting the pattern with the music on. (the driver practically have no excursion so it's easy to do it). when i put the pattern one by one the sounds begin to change, and it's not subtle. this time the pattern I put is thin, practically add very little to the speaker moving mass. as the patterning finished, I listen to it a while as the paint dries, It sounds much cleaner, the paper warbling noise is much much reduced. Comparing to the other speaker that's not treated, the untreated one have the typical cheap paper cone sound, warbling noise, dimension is lost, and sound is much more fatiguing.

EDIT : I done this listening on the speaker front baffle, held by hand, taken out of the box, no box sound to muck up the listening.

The treated one sound so much different, Jacky Cheung sound is much more clear, and the ambience is more heard and relaxed and have more depth, even the drum bass sound is much more defined (in 3.3cm speaker). now this speaker started to have proper imaging, amazing.

Hartono

el`Ol said:
Can anybody explain this design to me:
Laser-incisions filled with silicone alternating in two different angles.
http://www.goebel-audio.de/en/support/GOEBEL_catalogue_2007.pdf
Quite off topic, but the driving method is not shown. The cuts around the edge help break up the vibration modes, quite clever, in concept, wonder how it actually measures. I think the length of the cuts will determine to what frequency they are effective down to, really won't be too low.

Here are some exciting results on the JX92S:

Yes, this is the same driver, and all the high frequency breakup modes are gone. Enjoy! With a mod like this, you can be sure that the slight harshness originally existing in the high frequencies are gone. I can predict that cymbals will be crisp and realistic.

I must say that this was not so difficult because the JX92S is already an excellent driver.

Again, I must express that each driver needs to be individually tuned. This is because the high frequency response may vary.

Soongsc,

This set of graphs is for the cone without any dome treatment. This is quite amazing.

This is a VERY important discovery. If the rings can be taken off of the dome completely and a ring set on the cone only will control the dome, that will be a key finding.

Do you have the extended time window for any of the other ring sets?

Even more interesting to those who still cannot grasp how this pattern can possibly work, would be this whole work up for an untreated driver, for a full baseline. Something that shows just how long it takes for the untreated driver to fall to the levels of ringing shown in the full time extension CSD plot of the treated driver.

Bud

Hartono,

I am so glad that you did this. It is the most convincing activity I know of, to just apply the pattern and listen to how the sound changes as you apply it. What is lost and what shows up to take it's place. Then to realize nothing was really lost, or gained, it has just been redeployed by applying this powerful tool.

I once treated a pair of PM speakers, 80mm in diameter with domes on the voice coil end rather than flat hats. I then mounted them into Koss Pro 4 headphone cavities and took them around to dealers and a few Audiophiles I knew, who had high end headphones. Their only equals came from Stax and the Pioneer HPM film headphones. This was done in 1978. The PM speakers had extraordinarily deep bass and endless definition. Something else all of you can try in your spare time.

Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.