Electrocompaniet, how does it sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amplifierguru,
by spice simulation, the AW120 has a voltage gain of 28.33dB. Clearly, this is not a conventional design where you read two component values and arrive at the closed-loop gain.
Oh, and hats off to Electrocompaniet for the sound of this machine (those who have owned or heard one will know what I'm talking about).

Will be attempting in the following weeks to build something as close as I can to the EC designs. Information is scarce though.
Here is my take on the pcb..any thoughts?

Attachments

• take1.gif
    take1.gif
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,176
My AW120 is still away at the hifi hospital.
Seems they suspect the muting relays and are having a terrible time locating suitable replacements. :xeye:

Anyone who has sourced replacements, I would be most obliged to hear from where and any other comments on this that you might care to share.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Myglaren and hollowman.

I have a aw250 purchased second hand from a old lady whose son passed away. She was gonna give me the amp but agreed for me to give her around 250 euros *pounds 250* for it. Very good amp especially if you like rock music. It has bags of low down punch and is indeed a excellent amp over all. This one was not much used so not even a scratch on it. Hope im not gonna have to much trouble with it, heard a lot of complaining about these muting relays and other circuitry not belonging to the amp section itself though. Even john curl has said he likes the sound of these amps, and has one although his model is a Class A amp.
Hollow man good luck and keep us informed on the progress of your project. Im very much interested in the results. Try to stick to the components as much as you can or i can recommend some that might even enhance the performance although some parts are not easy to come by.

Alex

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Hollowman

I do not have means to take digital pics, last night i just took the lid off. This is a complicated amp and im not gonna fiddle anymore on it as its in perfect condition. Runs quite hot though but heard they operate this way. From what i can see yes the pcbs are mirror images, the parts are located in same position. That is to be expected as this is the way pcbs of amps should be.
Their is a site on the net showing a complete striped amp in for repairs, as soon as i find it again, ill let you know.

Alex

Got mine back at long last and I'm astounded by the sound although I find the mid-bass just a bit forward.

Talking to the shop owner when I collected it I was inquiring about balanced patch cords to connect the pre- and power amps, he told me that the new Electrocompaniet integrated amp and CD player sound very good for the money, until connected with balanced leads. Then they sound like equipment of ten times the price.

Well, here I am, clone now working happily for about a week now. I have had two major issues to deal with. First, fake c5200s and A1943s, which seem to be abound in electronics shops, and second, quiescent stability, which due to the lack of emitter resistors, really -moderators forgive- has been a ba**ard to attain.:bawling:
I don't know how EC does it, but as per the attachment, and after suffering secondary breakdown about ten times, it is now very happy, even when it is pushed to the limit (thermally). All cloners out there - attention!
I'm very pleased with the final result though, sonics are much improved over my old current feedback elektor design. This soundstage, what can I say...wow! My proacs totally vanish!

Attachments

• clipboard01.jpeg
    clipboard01.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 755
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Excellent

Now you can revel in some very fine sonics indeed :) :) :).

Maybe you could put up your pcb gerbers here for other members to try it. Its a bit complicated but worth it. Personally Id use some low value emitter resistors around 0.1 ohm. Matching the output transistors so vigorously as do electrocompaniet can be a challenge in itself.

Good job Olegtech! Are the pcbs your design? The amp board placement looks like the original EC board...
Are the problems of the right channel associated with thermal runaway? Bare in mind that this takes place extremely fast. Have you stressed thermally the good channel by driving a load at several watts power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.