• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier

Bonjour Vunce,

Yes, this will be more than needed and you can use a regulated power supply like on the picture... The tube shield are not required, I have just tested them but that does not change anythings, there is no noise anyway :)

Rgds,
Marc

Attachments

• Preampli avec blindage 2.JPG
    Preampli avec blindage 2.JPG
    583.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Preampli ligne essai 1.JPG
    Preampli ligne essai 1.JPG
    623.6 KB · Views: 996
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hello Marc,

I’ve successfully fired up the 6N1P preamp you shared. I’m listening now as I compose this message. A steaming iPhone as a source and an Icepower class D amp complete the testing combo. The sound is sweet, no harshness and very quiet background.
Here’s a little information about the preamp project:
Antek AS-05T240 trafo is utilizing the 240vac HV tap and the 6.3vac secondaries are paralleled for max filament current. The PSU board includes both the HV and LV supplies. What’s really cool about this board is it uses an ultra low dropout regulator for the filament heater supply which enables you to use your 6.3vac trafo secondary and still get a regulated 6.3vdc. Not possible with a “regular” voltage regulator. The 240vac tap yields approximately 315vdc and with a turn of the trim pot it’s spot on 300vdc. The schematic called for an IRF740 MosFet but, I used an On Semi FQFP2N60C that was listed on the Bom, I hope that will not be an issue?
My main purpose for this preamp project was to give my Big MoFo a different “flavor”. The MoFo is paired with an AKSA Lender Preamp and sounds amazing. I just wanted to try a tube pre with it. So, the next step will be to try that combination

Thank you Marc for sharing this preamp design!

Cheers,
Vunce

Attachments

• 4B2D06D0-4D72-4C94-BD59-B77BC85F9BA8.jpg
    4B2D06D0-4D72-4C94-BD59-B77BC85F9BA8.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 827
  • D386061D-C3DF-454D-8A54-E1F3D56B768D.jpg
    D386061D-C3DF-454D-8A54-E1F3D56B768D.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 765
  • 504C276D-327F-4354-8869-68621E364BC2.jpg
    504C276D-327F-4354-8869-68621E364BC2.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 407
Hello Vunce,

Thanks for your feedback :)

I am pleased that you like the sound of your test bench with this tube preamp :D

Don't worry about the value of the MOSFET on the schematic, I took the IRF740 because it was in the EAGLE library and I forgot to change the name later, but the FQFP2N60C is the good one, it has very low Crss of 4.3 pF instead of 120 pF for the IRF740 and that is important when used in Audio as Merlin Blencowe explained in his very good book "Designing High-Fidelity Tube Preamps" and he also recommended the 2N60 :)

I am sure the result will be even better with the MoFo ...

Cheers,:cheers:
Marc

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the kind words:)

Yes, they are PRP 9372 series, 1/2watt resistors and fit the pad space perfectly.
I’m using a pair of low quality 6N1 tubes at the moment, I’m waiting on a set of matched 6n1p-ev tubes. By moving the SV1 jumper this will allow the use of 12au7 tubes correct? I have several of those to choose from.

Regards,
Vunce

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Vunce and Marc,

I searched around the forums for info on the 6N1P MK2 preamp befoer asking...

Are there any pcbs available for this preamp. If no pcbs available, I will search and see if some similar preamp is offered in the group buy section. Any recommendations to look for?

Thanks for the help,

Myles

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Update to post 172, Vunce and Marc,

I found the gerber file that Marc posted to Francois (page 65 in GB forum). If there is no pcbs available from you then:

Marc, is it OK to send the gerbers to a pcb manufacturer as is, or has there been recent revisions.

Thanks again,

Myles

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hello Myles,

There is no current GB for this board. Marc was kind enough to post the Gerbers for individuals use. I had a small batch made. For some reason the parts value was not stenciled on the pcb? (Maybe a glitch in the files sent)
Not a big deal though, just follow the schematic.

Regards,
Vunce

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@ post 174, Thanks Vunce.

I will wait and see if Marc chimes before sending gerbers away. Parts value not indicated is not a big problem as Marc has posted the pdf also for those who wanted to etch boards.

Did you order the regular 1 oz copper boards?

Myles

Bonjour,

Here is a slightly modified version where I corrected the MOSFET reference and added round corners :D

You can also find the value of the components on the silk screen :) They were not on the PCB because my previous board manufacturer removed them !

While I was looking at the PCB, and since now I produce them by PCBWay I was thinking to shrink the board to reduce the size to 100 x 80 mm to have a better price of 5 $ for 10 PCB :santa:

If I have time I will look at it, by example the second output capacitor can be 25 V only since it is protected by the zener diode...

Regards,
Marc

Attachments

• Schéma Preamplifier MK2.pdf
    127 KB · Views: 272
  • PCB Preamplifier MK2.png
    PCB Preamplifier MK2.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 752