Eight JBL Dual 15" In One Room

I'm starting a project of incorporating 8 JBL 4648A dual 15" speakers into my living room to try and better pair with the line arrays I've already built.

Here is a link to that thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ale-25-driver-ids-25-line-array-build.336698/

The plan is the make two "bass towers" on the front wall behind the line arrays and the other 4 will go behind the couch against the half wall that's the exact width of the 4 speakers.

To keep my wife happy, I'm going to refinish them in white.

Reactions: 5 users
Prepping the garage for painting with a spray gun.

Attachments

• 20240224_203321.jpg
    20240224_203321.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: 1 users
We just got back from the Florida Audio Expo. While there we visited an audio friend who had a very similar bass array in his listening room. Charles listens only to acoustic sets, (Jazz and classical) This was one of the top 2 or 3 rooms I have heard in my lifetime. What you got was not a sense of bass, although with the DSP, I know his in room response is very good, down to 16 Hz. But what you hear is just a huge sense of the acoustical space that the recording was made in. The artists are not in your room, you are uncannily transported to their space

I only have one of the JBL's in the room right now as I'm still trying to refinish them all.

For context, I currently have five subwoofers in that setup: 1 15", 2 x 12", and 2 x 10." All the subwoofers off and using this one JBL I'm finding that the bass really is "faster." I really thought that the existing setup of five distributed subs would give an equally "fast" presentation as each one is sharing the load and therefore has more headroom.

cool ! - I've still a pair of the model with 2035 ("sweet") from the tent sale - that was crazy - wish I had bought more. You of course can cover one port then apply a bit of eq at the new Fb a a half octave lower. 16x15 must be awesome. 1x15 doesn't do a lot 2x15 starts to do it.

For me there is something about larger drivers barely moving. It’s just effortless! If you can find them these JBL’s really can be a bargain. I have 3x in quite a small room. LCR. (With 2035’s) I woudn’t really describe them as subwoofers though, the cab is tuned to 40Hz. (Although you can block one port as mentioned above) I have a tapped horn below them filling in the bottom octave.
They definitely have ‘slam’ and ‘speed’ though!

Reactions: 1 user
While at the Florida Audio Expo last month, we went to visit a client . To support his horn system he had a dozen 12" drivers and two 15's in a 300 sq ft room with DSP. I'll take him at his word that room response was flat to 16Hz.

That said there was nothing about his playlist or his library that screamed "bass-zombie". He listens at modest volumes exclusively to acoustic sets, What that room does better than about any space I have heard is capturing the acoustic space the recording was made in.

This was one of those rare, you are in the recording venue, rather than the artists are in your apace

Isn't it a bit overkill?

Already the fullrange column can be Eq'ed to 16hz. I built a system with 8 x 18 inch drivers and its simply too much. The drivers hardly moving at a loudness I cannot stand.
I eq'ed the full range line arrays to 20hz with a pair of rebranded Bryston 7b's. I was honestly scared for the speakers health, and that wasn't with any crazy volumes either. That's what prompted this project.

You have to know, the full range line arrays are currently 1/3rd of the way into the room now in pursuit of better imaging. They are not near the corners now.

I'm not playing these any louder than the previous subwoofers I had in the room. Just looking for a wave form more similar to the line arrays.

@Nvphotos

It sounded incredibly good.

I combined it first with this DIY 10inch fullrange I constructed.

Dsp corrected fullrange driver sandwiched with aluminium foil of thick quality - with measurements:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...w-distortion-with-a-2-way.334757/post-6711184

Later I wanted to replace them for four 12 inch Sica 12d full ranges built back to back in one enclosure as a dual monopole, also sandwiched with aluminium foil a speciality I do. But I never finished them.

So efficiency of the bass array was hilarious good draining no electricity from my Behringer Inuke Nu3000dsp amp.

Also I wanted to cover the bass drivers from the backside with alu foil, too. But did not do that until now.

Here I describe how you can DIY.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/how-to-make-a-loudspeaker-sandwich-cone.402917/

I eq'ed the full range line arrays to 20hz with a pair of rebranded Bryston 7b's. I was honestly scared for the speakers health, and that wasn't with any crazy volumes either. That's what prompted this project.

I'm not playing these any louder than the previous subwoofers I had in the room. Just looking for a wave form more similar to the line arrays.

The 4648A box tuning (Fb) is ~45 Hz, the port output becomes out of phase with the speaker output much below Fb.
Response drops ~24dB per octave below Fb, but no amount of eq will fix phase cancellation.
Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 1.09.46 PM.png

The ported output lags ~ 180degrees from the speaker output, sealing them would make the bass even "faster."
With sixteen sealed 15" woofers, you could EQ flat to 10 Hz, and produce ~107dB SPL (discounting any room gain) while still being under the JBL 2226 driver's Xmax of 7.62mm, assuming enough power.
The sealed cabinets should be capable of ~120dB at 20Hz, some would consider that "crazy volume" ;)
Others would consider that level to be more than adequate for THX certification...

Did you paint the cabinets white?

Art