early reflection of sidewalls: absorption or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where is the scientific proof that neutral rooms or rooms for analysis need to minimize/control early reflections?

If I look, I find something different. But I haven't read everything.
See “Handbook For Sound Engineers”, Glen M. Ballou editor. 4th edition
6.8.2 Precision Listening Rooms page 140
search google for download
(link removed)

Last edited:
I'm becoming interested in "delayed late reflection" some kind of ambience speakers in an attempt to increase the perceived size of my room.

I casually have tested like this before, putting small speakers on the main speakers, then sending 10-100ms delayed signal to them. I was not really convinced, but it may work well in other circumstances.

I also tested back fired tweeter, but now I only remember I just didn't like it for some reasons... I may try it again sometime.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
6.8.2 Precision Listening Rooms page 140
Doug Jones is talking there about listening rooms as tools. Rooms for hearing exactly what is in your mix and nothing more. He says a room like that should be dry but still subjectively pleasing to the listener. Unfortunately he repeats the old wives tale of how horrible anechoic chambers are for listening. I've been there, done that, it's not so bad, just a little flat.

That brings us to the subject of what do you want in your listening room? Do you want the dry audio precision that is like big headphones? Or do you want to spread things out a little more like what you'd hear in a normal environment - with he risk of coloring the sound?

My experience with anechoic and hypo-echoic playback is that the soundstage rarely extends past the speakers to the left and right, but can extend back a long way - even on mono recordings. Sometimes it will extend forward of the speaker, but not much. If some of those are artifacts of the room, as Jones says, do you want them or not?

I do want them to some extent. I find headphone listening to be un-involving, and not just because of the HRTF. But I'd like the room artifacts not to be too "one note" sounding always the same, coloring every recording the same. Bad acoustics will do that. Good playback acoustics should enhance the sound a little, flesh it out, without being obvious. Good acoustics help the illusion of space and postion.

I agree with Pano. It’s all depend on the goal.

I have 2 different rooms, very live and dead, and listen to the music in both rooms everyday. One is a very reflective large living room with wooden floor, and the other is double walled studio environment built in the garage with literally truck load of OC 703 and 20 feet+ diffusers. The studio is like a huge headphone as Pano say, it's very microscopic about detail and low frequency is super tight. Living room is horrible about the bass response and detail, but very forgiving overall, so I can simply enjoy music without thinking about the equipment nor sound quality of the material.

I can’t say which I prefer for Jazz and Pop, but I think I can say I prefer the sound of living room for classical music.

Last edited:
Doug Jones is talking there about listening rooms as tools. <snip>

Pano,

For those that did not read this chapter on small rooms. The author discusses different types of listening rooms.

Critical listening rooms, you sum them up as “anechoic and hypo-echoic”. Rooms for hearing exactly what is in your mix and nothing more.

Rooms for entertainment, not the dry critical room, this type of room accepts or even welcomes room artifacts and treatments to “enhance the sound a little, flesh it out, without being obvious. Good acoustics help the illusion of space and postion”.

I just wanted to clear up that the author does not advocate for only one type of room in the chapter.

Thanks DT

Last edited:
When I tried an excess of absorbency in my room, I got a bad listen.
Perhaps it is too easy to break down mid-highs, and this produces tonal alterations. This is evident in the video I posted in #104.
In tiny rooms, in a few ms, you'll have multiple reflections.
Perhaps DIffusion Close to the Source can help. I have the acronym tonight. I'll try a test tomorrow.

The most extreme architectural design using diffusors I saw is the French pavilion for the 2017 biennale in Venice.

sounds good: YouTube

domus-xavier-veilhan_6950.jpg.foto.rmedium.jpg

Is this studio scattering early reflections while allowing higher dB late reflections to give "body" to the sound?

Nah, it can be very cheap and easy to build, if you go with step diffusors rather than trying to do the more complex well type diffusors (that don't really work any better, just easier to predict and design). See the nice designs by Perry (Sound Diffusers 101: Free Designs for DIY Diffuser Panels) or if you're really after easy and fast (and in USA near some big box hardware stores) my Depot Diffusors (Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step).
Thanks you for those links and your thread. I've seen that site before.
The trick might be to make something with appearance that significant others are willing to have in a shared room. I can't even use my diffusor design in our little living room because it would visually overwhelm and there's not anywhere they could be. But I have a setup with books on one wall and delayed ambience tweeters and directional speakers so that the most dominating reflections at least are quite delayed -- helps quite a bit.
You haven't experimented with anything more lightweight that could be hung on a wall?

My room is quite small and I listen nearfield, I've thought of books emulating the geometry of a diffuser and delayed ambience speakers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yamaha has been doing ambience channels since the 80s. I have a stand alone processor that does 4 channels and a Yamaha 7.1 HT receiver that can generate them. Two of the ambience channels are meant to go behind the speakers and provide some depth. Works well enough if you tweak the setting right.

You haven't experimented with anything more lightweight that could be hung on a wall?

My room is quite small and I listen nearfield, I've thought of books emulating the geometry of a diffuser and delayed ambience speakers.

In my room, it's more an issue of not enough available surface area to use effective diffusors. Other than the bookcases that are already there,. Fireplace, speakers against wall (designed for that),

From what I understand (which is limited, not being an acoustician or having figured my way through any of the math involving diffusion), the source and the listener both need to be some distance away from a diffusor for it to be effective. For diffusors that work down to midrange, something like 4 or 5 feet are usually mentioned.

I'm reading Toole about early reflections at the moment......seems you can find anything you want to believe!

Well sorta kinda yeah and no. :D

The circle of confusion still exists, but there is a way out.

Buy this book, read this book put it on your shelf. Each section is backed up with of footnotes that point to Audio Engineering Society research papers.

Thanks DT
Done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.