Dynacord CLS 222 Leslie Simulator clone

Spent the last couple of hours searching for information on what the difference between CLS-22 and CLS-222 are? Without finding any useful information I'm sorry to say.

Are there any reason to desire one over the other? Is it possible to modify 22 to 222 or the other way around?

Thank you for answering voltwide. I the meantime I found schematics for CLS222.
Index of /hammond/diagrams/Leslie/Dynacord CLS222

So far here is what I found:
- They added a summing amp for mono output. Make sense if one amplify with single amp like most guitar players.
- A fourth selections step for the stereo spread (only two additional resistors and the new selector switch of course) which make me think this mod can be done with a stereo pot for variable spread?
- I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the relay. The drive circuit looks like overkill? Am I correct assuming relay gets activated when a jack is inserted to mono out socket?
- New grounding scheme? All inputs and outputs seems to have small caps to ground.
- New PCB layout.

Last edited:
- There is also a new effect bypass circuit. For the guitar player in pursue of true bypass this is far from that :)
- Most 10uF PSU filter caps in CLS22 seems to be replaced by 22uF in the CLS222.

It would be interesting to hear from someone that have, or have had these two units if they can remember if there are any difference in noise from them? New ground scheme and modified power supply makes me think Dynacord where chasing noise issues?

Last edited:
R138, R163 3k3 is changed to 5k6 on the CLS222 (see IC I021 between pin 4-15 and 5-13). Not sure if this adjustment makes much difference in tone?

Stereo spread has one additional stop for stereo selection and the original stop for stereo spread mixer has changed which makes the Stereo setting on CLS22 unique.
Mono and Super Stereo settings are identical for both units thought.
Original stereo mix in CLS22 is done with R202/22k and R203/5k6.
New 4 stop implementation in CLS222 is done with R202/39k and R203/2k7. The new stop use resistors R213/56k and R220/6k8.

A discerning mod could be to replace R202 with 50k and R203 with 10k trimmers for experimentation.
My guess voltwide pursuing true Leslie tone already did this and ended up with the combination found in CLS22. As Dynacord engineers seems to disagree we might also find settings better adapted for our implementation by doing our own experimentation. – Or we could just leave the selector switch in Super Stereo mode :drink:

Anyone reading my ramblings please note that relay added in CLS222 doesn't have anything to do with the Mono output as I first speculated. It's function are probably only for pop suppression at power up/down. Relay in CLS222 will disconnect all output sockets.

Its also worth mention CLS22 nor CLS222 have real balanced outputs. XRL's are only parallel connected to the output jacks with pin 1 & 2 to ground. So no sonic benefits using XRL out on these devices. At least not until you hook up your unused Lundahl transformers inside your CLS :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Nice copies you found there, better than my old paper originals:)
My job at Dynacord ended with CLS22, I was not involved in CLS222. So there is not much I can contribute so far.
Looks as though you are one of these rare species who can read and even understand this circuitry.;)

DYNACORD CLS-222

I just found this article. I have owned 2 of these over the years. The first one died when the pcb lands and traces started to decay and peel off the pcb. The second one was sold to a friend when I stopped playing for awhile. I am an engineer would like to redo this effect if others would be interested. Question, is there any legal issues with doing this we may not be aware of? thanks

Henri

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Yes, the gain of the OTAs is current controlled. CA3280 and TDA1022 are obsolete for a long time, there exist LM13700 and maybe some rare BBDs, but I don't know more details.

You will find nearly all information avaible today spread over this thread.

OTA replacements

Hi, I am a next freak who wants to build the clone of CLS222 leslie simulator. Since nowadays CA3280/90 are not the best options to use in project, expensive and mostly available on ebay from not proven Chinese sellers, I want to use NE5517 or LM13700 OTAs as it was suggested from VOLTWIDE few years ago. Here I am not sure if I should use internal buffers available in mentioned OTAs and which were not available in CA3280. Another question, if OTAs buffers are used, are opamps connected to OTA output in original design (unity gain followers) still needed ? I am keen to read your opinions about this subject. Thanks.

Keep in mind that I designed this beast in the early eightys...:rolleyes:

Sweet fancy moses, Voltwide, you're a legend! :worship: As a Hammond player 1st and an electronics dabbler 2nd, I have to say the CLS-222 is by far the best Leslie emulator to this day and even better than most attempts to mic a real Leslie in the studio.

Were you involved in any other Dynacord inventions of the 80s? After discovering the CLS-222 I started hunting for other Dynacord products of the time, and I was not disappointed. The PDD-14 Digital Delay, though digital, is in league with the best classic analog/tape delays I've used. I also really like the DRP-16 Reverb, and I'm hoping to get my hands on the legendary VRS-23 [self oscillating!] Reverb.

The entire 80s line of Dynacord products has the classic quality of the Roland RSS units of the 70s-80s (Dimension D, etc), and I was wondering if Dynacord was inspired by those designs.

Anyway, I hope you see this post and receive my praise for your legendary work. I'm currently involved in a remake of Queen's "Flash Gordon" using a Hammond organ instead of guitars. It's a tall order to replace Brian May's signature guitar sound, but I got something pretty interesting by piping the Hammond through a Groove Tubes Soul-o 75 and into your famous CLS-222.

Which brings me to how I found this site. While transporting the CLS-222, apparently something went wrong because it no longer turns on. After about 1 sec there's a faint click, but that's the only response, no lights or audio.

I visually inspected the fuses (no burns or breaks) as well as looking for any obvious loose connections or cracked solder points (none). On another site I read that it could be a faulty tantalum capacitor shorting the power rail.

Before I started digging too deep, I wanted to ask around to see if it's something common or easy to fix. Do you have a basic troubleshooting procedure?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
You are late, but you are welcome;)
Besides the CLS22/222 I was not involved in any other Dynacord project. And to be honest, their digital Reverb at that time (DRS78) did not impress me that much.
To trace your bug, I can only give general advice:
Check supply voltages
Check OPA output voltages, normally close to zero Volts.
Check any Tantal caps for short circuit.
Look for hot spots
And sometimes a chip failed without any obvious reason.
And if the failure is due to transport (vibration), this might be a contact problem:
remove and insert every chip that is in a socket.
etc...
You will find the schematics on the beginning of that thread.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe the creator of the CLS-222 is a member of this forum. Amazing.

Voltwide, you truly created a masterpiece!

Unfortunately, my CLS-22 is in need of some help. It generally works, but the preamp pot is pretty much gone. It behaves very erratically. No amount of cleaning will bring this thing back to life.

This would otherwise be a pretty simple repair, but I am having difficulty finding a suitable replacement pot. According to the schematic, it is a 100K log pot. This in itself isn't too difficult to find, but finding a pot with the right form factor is a bit tricky, specifically with a 4mm flattened shaft.

I believe the original was made by Ruwido but I think they are completely out of the pot business.

I have looked on Digikey.com and Mouser.com but they have no 4mm 100K Log pots.

I found these on a German site:

PO4M-LOG 100K: Rotary potentiometer, logarithmic, 4 mm, mono, 100 kOhm at reichelt elektronik

PIH PC16CP04104B: Rotary Potentiometer, 100 kOhm, logarithmic, 4 mm at reichelt elektronik

If I could get one of these, I suppose I could cut the shaft down and file a flat spot onto it.

However, the shipping to USA is a bit absurd for such a tiny item.

Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks for looking

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
4mm shaft was quite common at that time but nowadays seems to be obsolete. I think they were built by Radioohm - a low quality brand from Spain, like Piher. You are lucky that Reichelt has some old stock. I do not know about 4mm pots in USA, sorry.
All in all potentiometers are on the decline worldwide with a diminishing choice compared to the eighties.