Dx Precision, finally released... now debugged and better than HRII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Man!... i have tried....and result was not good.

I think we need huge condensers into the supply.... this means instantaneous high current surges.

The electronic regulator, because the costs to produce, normally do not have big condensers into the output... and result not so good as the single big condensers.

I think it is a good solution...has an appeal as you said... good when you want to use some supply you have...but it is not the best possible solution.

The standard rectifiers and filters works better for sonics as i could perceive testing..and was posted into the Dx thread.

I have tried and can work with 75 volts.... of course, some carefull into the modifications will be needed.... and will be very strong into the power output.

In the reality dear Todd..... i do not like so huge voltage into the Precision, also do not like the electronic regulator...but more than 80 volts is a huge problem... do not even try.... i will remove "guarantee"

As i could see into my experiences..when we go above 65 volts things turns very complicated...very dangerous..... this is something to guys experienced into high power.

regards,

Carlos

I purchased a new 370VA 80VCT (No load) torroid today for $48 CAD. :)
Only shipping method available was UPS... $31 :-(

370VA Should be adequate for a stereo set of Precision 1's. I'm sure many people will tell me that 370VA is pretty lean for a pair of these amps but I doubt it will be much of a problem.

Ryan

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Hi Ryan

If you were planning to listen loud with lots of bass then that might be a little lean. But it's more than you'll ever get with any mid-priced consumer stereo amp on the market, so have at it.

The rails will end up at about 55vdc which is lower than Precision's design spec (which requires about a 90vct transformer), so you'll have to adjust the values of some of the zeners, and maybe a few other items. I'm sure Carlos and/or Nordic will say exactly what else.

..Todd

I just had a closer look at the specs and turns out I made a mistake... The transformer is rated based on 230Vac mains... So I will only get 28V rails. I was in a rush while at work... It was a one-off surplus item so I quickly grabbed it without looking in detail. I guess I'll either cancel the order or else save the trafo for something like a 5-channel Home theater amp... or maybe a stereo 50W Class A. Hmmmm....

Hello Carlos , Nordic

Conrad sent me a quotation for MF-35-100, 0,28C/Watt (350mm length x 100mm height).
Total fins area is 35x10.0x4.0 =1400cm^2, flat back area is 350cm^2,
that´s around 175 watts dissipation. Is that enough?

Could you please Nordic post a image of bare (unpopulated) Precision PCB. My guess is that there´s a hole for screw head under transistors body.

Thanks in advance

Corad quotation

Here is:

Costs in AUD (BRL approx.) with a choice of delivery options would be:
MF35-100 x 2 @ 44.63 ea. 89.26 (141.92)
Delivery 4 kg (Aus. Post Sea Freight 10 - 12 weeks) 24.00 (38.16)
Delivery (Aus Post Economy Air) no longer available
Delivery (Aus. Post Standard Air 7-12 working days) 71.55 (113.76)

Email sales@conradheatsinks.com
Web site www.conradheatsinks.com

Stuey said:
Hmm. Altronics has the 300mm for ~ $29ea or $27ea (flanged / unflanged). This sounds like a better deal...

These are the Conrad product I'm pretty sure. They are excellent quality anyway (I've bought a few - the Altronics head office is about 500m from my work).

Maybe try them for a mailing quote?

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=prod&grp=19&list=0&pg=0&sort=code

Stuey

You´re right Stuey mate. I had Altronics in mind, but I´m considering a bit larger sink (350mm) for extra margin of C/Watts. Anyway my main concern is shipping costs yet.

Kind regards.

Re: Corad quotation

JC Fardo said:
Here is:

Costs in AUD (BRL approx.) with a choice of delivery options would be:
MF35-100 x 2 @ 44.63 ea. 89.26 (141.92)
Delivery 4 kg (Aus. Post Sea Freight 10 - 12 weeks) 24.00 (38.16)
Delivery (Aus Post Economy Air) no longer available
Delivery (Aus. Post Standard Air 7-12 working days) 71.55 (113.76)

Email sales@conradheatsinks.com
Web site www.conradheatsinks.com

José Carlos

Have you checked HS Dissipadores in São Paulo?
Their catalog is quite impressive, but I have no clue about pricing.
More information can be found here.

Cheers!

Dudaindc:

Is it you from "HT Forum"?

HS is 20 min. by car from home....
They don´t quote to end consumers, only to firm or companies, You need State Register and so on. Minimun order is around US35.00. :cannotbe:
Those australian shops are much "near" :cannotbe:

Thanks for help and kind regards.

hi if anyones bought the boards from the uk conrad quoted this

Costs in AUD (GBP approx.) with a choice of delivery options would be:
MF15-1F-75 x 2 @ 16.64 ea. 33.28 (14.92)
Delivery (Aus. Post Sea Freight 10 - 12 weeks) 21.90 (9.82)
Delivery (Aus. Post Standard Air 7-12 working days) 45.85 (20.55)
Payment options: credit card (Visa, Mastercard),

around £25.00 for the pair delivered beats anything in this country!

JC Fardo said:
Dudaindc:

Is it you from "HT Forum"?

HS is 20 min. by car from home....
They don´t quote to end consumers, only to firm or companies, You need State Register and so on. Minimun order is around US35.00. :cannotbe:
Those australian shops are much "near" :cannotbe:

Thanks for help and kind regards.

Hi JC

Yes, I do check the HT Forum from time to time and use the same ID there.

I am disapointed to hear about your experience with HS Dissipadores, but not surprised. Lots of companies in Brazil have this sales policy... "tupiniquin" would be the appropriate word to describe it. :whazzat:

Nice to see other fellow Brazilians interested in the DX amps. I started following Carlos' threads to humor me and ended up learning quite a bit.

All the best,

D

In this exact moment dear nephew Nordic is powering up the Precision 1 prototype

with real designed boards.... say...testing layout to order boards from factory.

I am into the MSN with him to help adjust and debug possible problems.

nanabrother@hotmail.com

He will soon be here to say something about.

We are busy, step now is to test board.... soon the parts list, BOM and all stuff.

Also new exclusive features will be provide into Nordic boards..something exclusive to group buy, to Nordic boards made to group buy..some led indications and some interesting features into the boards.

Soon....this same channel.....

ahahahahha!

Carlos

Attachments

• precision 1- prototype.jpg
    precision 1- prototype.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 532
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.