Dx Amplifiers, all models will be shown here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here you have Uncle Charlie.

Six feet tall.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 1,238
A small list of amplifier made... designed, built and tested

Power and distortion are not that precise..to more precise data then go to the thread..use the forum search button please.

I am in DIY audio since 2004...so... completed 10 years.

The units made outside the DIY world i cannot comment here:

DIY designs, shared into www.diyaudio .com – Solid State and other world foruns

Dx Amplifier – 50/100 - 8/4 ohms
HRII - High Resolution II – 35/70 - 8/4 ohms
Dx Precision 1 – 150/250/400 – 8/4/2 ohms
DHR Turbo – Destroyer High Resolution Turbo – 170/240/450 – 8/4/2 ohms
Trust – 20/40 - 8/4 ohms
Troyan – 200/400/800 - 8/4/2 ohms
Dx Blame ES and Dx Blame ST – 55/120 – 8/4
Dx Blame MKII and Supercharged – power depending the model…. From 50 to 200 watts
Dx Blame MKIII – 150/250/550 - 8/4/2 ohms
Dx Super A – 80/150/270 – 8/4/2 ohms (10%) ….. 60/120/200 (0.001%)
Dx Armagedon – 240/480/780 – 8/4/2 ohms

Conceptual amplifiers:

Dx Triamp
DxDc – Dx disintegrated Circuit
Dx Symphony
Dx Xs – Dx Excess
Dx Semprini
Dx Evolution
Dx Boom

Outside the DIY world

Mako
Dx Tecton
Dx Avenger
Dx5000 – 2.5 Kilowatts per channel, a specially designed top secret SMPS

regards,

Carlos

I will remind you something about the Dx Amplifier

It was a kind of design used inside all brands cabinets....all brands, Sansui, Pioneer, Macintosh, Sony, Philips ...all them used...since 1970.

Extremely developed by the best Wide World Ever Born Audio Designer, Mr. Hugh Dean, the one made the Aksa 55, from Aspen Amplifiers, now took the name NAKSA because someone stole his name creating KSA brand name.... the guy that did it was cursed..anything went well in his life..his amplifier have not take off and now a days he is publishing his schematic to see people using his failed job...i do think he deserved the destiny he had.... well done!

Aksa 55 and Lifeforce was an outstanding audio amplifier, deeply tuned, a very high quality High End product sold in kits and latter on assembled inside the enclosure....Hugh was so famous, the unit has so high quality, so highly respectable that people use to fly from USA to invite Hugh to a dinner in Melbourne (Australia) to receive and to pay in cash the previously ordered amplifier.... these guys spent several thousand dollares (air tickets, dinner and general expenses) and i do think, till our days, that was very cheap by the quality applied.

Even Todd Johnson travel to Australia and met Hugh Dean....oh!...i felt so big envy about that.... he cannot believe i became green of envy!

One day, people started to say that Hugh should show a conceptual schematic, removing all sub circuits and tuning that represent the secret of his design and also produce the outstanding sound quality....he made that and i helped him opening the thread and publishing the simplified schematic (Hugh will show you the Aksa 55 schematic!)...i already had my Aksa 55 and i was amazed with the quality...Hugh to me, was and still represent something valuable as a God.

I took to myself the honor to be the first to develop, from that simplified schematic, something to have my name, to share, to help people to understand how it works, to see people have the enjoyment to have their own amplifier and to have the chance, the oportunity to make some modifications their own way..... i have stollen the basic concept from Hugh because already published and already used (the main frame, the skeleton, the topology) by hundreds of factories...but no one could achieve Hugh results due to his research....mine unit had no one of Hugh secrets applied on it, also my unit performance was worse...no one!.. no design secret applied!... mine unit was not made to sell...no unit was sold...was a result of contribution of several forum folks producing layouts and helping me a lot....was the real forum amplifier..the real DIY amplifier... a lot of guys contributed...Klaas Veenstra and many others..all then have posted stuff in the thread.

Hugh continued to explore his design without any harm..the opposite, his name became even more famous as a result of his contribution....his customers are high level skilled audiophiles, all them successful entrepreneurs and professionals in their own area of activity that had not spare time or skills to assemble themselves...so..Hugh did for them.... all these years...he has units spread into the whole world.

I have never sold a single unit of this Dx amplifier...just helped forum folks, year after year, people to assemble...and you will find the thread... "Dx amplifier, my amplifier".. with hundreds of images, pictures, sketches, diagrams, oscillograms and all stuff...also supported by Doctor Greg Erskine that made a site to host Dx amplifiers here:

Greg's Web Site

I do know all secrets..also Greg knows..also all customers from Hugh knows...but we do not have shared, nor used, the ideas from Hugh.

Dx Amplifier is a three stage amplifier, with a differential feeded by a standard (noisy) zener diode referenced supply into the long tail.... it has resistors as colector load into the differential...the VAS (Voltage Amplifier Stage) is feeded by a resistor divisor that constitutes the bootstrap resistors..this is feeding the VAS...the output is a darlington style Emitter Follower with the driver having their emitters floating...very simplified, no output coil, no power emitter resistors.... distortion was 0.023% THD and power 50/100 watts RMS at 8/4 ohms..... bass is loosen, uncontrolled, and this is what people have appreciated, despite not perfect, nice and looooong bass tones.... thread is almost 1 million views!

Well...this was the first one..hundreds built....also in Brazil they were published in the HT forum and several brazilians have built too.

Dx amplifier test video recorded using a point and shoot fujifilm ancient digital camera....camera recording had not made justice to the audio quality of this amplifier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xtvwuYmWGQ

Image is from the AKSA 55

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx amplifier-dx amplifier schematic-1.png
    dx amplifier-dx amplifier schematic-1.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 2,142
  • 55modulesmall.jpg
    55modulesmall.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,527
Last edited:
Wonderful story, Carlos. The original DX Amplifier is high on my "to do list" to build soon. I think the simple circuits like this have a lot to offer. We are expecting our second baby in a few months and I will build this amplifier to put in his or her nursery.

The Dx HRII - Dx High Resolution 2

This amplifier, the second made..... after reading of the entire forum..all posts, all threads...since the begining.... readed books of Douglas Self, Duncan and Slone... i felt myself prepared to make something even better.... some kind of "blameless" style amplifier.

Interesting that i have assembled the Blameless...the concept schematic...my god!...was so awfull, so terrible that i gave it a double barreled 12 gauge shot so angry i felt after listening...what a hell awfull sterile sound!...alike food without salt....now a days i feel that i have made some error, because it is not that bad even as original.... some tuning made then it came into the reality as the best audio amplifier i have listened too....i decide to use it as reference and to recalculate it to make it "my way"....some kind of marriage of the Dx Amplifier with the Blameless concept.

My way is to tune the amplifier while listening... using a channel standard and other channel being tweaked..there are some tricks to do that...and i do reserve to myself to keep some small secrets about the method applied.

Resulted very good.... had modifications into the differential load to colectors and an enhanced VAS applied....retuned the bootstrapp and rail regulators introduced...power droped to 35/70 watts RMS due to the line voltage regulators in step down mode, but the sound was an advance compared to the Dx amplifier...less distortion, played louder despite de lower power, more gain, more sensitivity, wider audio bandwidth..... result very good... several guys assembled....search the thread.

Here you have a video, and down a picture and the schematic....details into the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4TM8ru8eo

Greg site has details about it too:

Greg's Web Site

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• HRII.jpg
    HRII.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,411
  • HRII - 26.jpg
    HRII - 26.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 1,311
Last edited:
Dx Precision I ... or Precision 1

Alike all previous ones, an evolution of the former design, trying other ideas from books and from forum published schematics..... joining sub circuits together...forcing them to work in a friendly way, match them and put them to sound good as a result of careful tuning.

You see the modified differential, the VAS with current control, a kind of regulator or CCS to feed VAS, the rail regulators.... solutions to increase performance tried on this amplifier.

Resulted great .... despite flat electrically, had some sonic signature connected to low bass...people reported that 40 hertz appeared stronger when playing..... look alike.

The amplifier was flat...this is an effect, the so called "sonic signature" that differentiates amplifiers.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 942
  • Dx Precision 1.jpg
    Dx Precision 1.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 997
Last edited:
DHR Turbo was something more simple, less expensive

Using mirrors, enhanced VAS and traditional bootstrapp.

This amplifier received a big help from awesome layout designer (Alex mm)...also the help of Todd Johnson to produce schematic...this resulted in a more professional look to the unit.

This amplifier was very powerfull and reliable.... countries nearby Australia have built this one in big quantities...Philipines, Singapore, Malaysia and many others used to play loud sound in their College parties.

Use also as basis for development of College degree amplifier designs n their counties.

Here you have some pictures...was a diy design, the way forum management used to encourage us to make...no pcboards avalilabe that time...no group buy..people did it etching in their homes..one of the most pure DIY style amplifier.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• DHR Turbo pcboard.jpg
    DHR Turbo pcboard.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 868
  • DHR turbo picture.jpg
    DHR turbo picture.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 804
  • DHR Turbo schematic.jpg
    DHR Turbo schematic.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 947
Dx Trust was vintage style amplifier.... modernized as

I have readed some books and also readed the entire diy forum twice (Solid State)..then i have learned something.

I have very few images of it..... the forum thread may be more rich of details.

It is a capacitor coupled output, old style amplifier design that had some modern features included...and some old ideas also applied.

Was popular in Greece, Croatia and Italy...low power.... approximately 15/30 watts RMS

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Trust.jpg
    Dx Trust.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 731
  • Dx Trust pcboard look.jpg
    Dx Trust pcboard look.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 545
  • SNV32696.jpg
    SNV32696.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Troyan was a magnificent amplifier... i cannot understand why

it was not copied by the traditional pirates...maybe because of cost and also because there's something not perfect into the schematic (i have found that right now) that could cause unstabilities.

In my prototype i had something different applied.... cannot remember exactly what was different.

Well... this one is very special...maybe pirates tried and have smoked and they quit.... was not something i did on purpose...nothing done on purpose as a trap... but I think it was benign... otherwise because not a patented applied into the schematic, it would be copied wide world now a days as our forum is the display people come to capture ideas to earn money.

Well.... it is past and no more interested to study the subject once again as i am having very different ideas about some hybrid amplifiers... no comment..not a diy anymore.

Just showing you.... it is in the thread and you can give it a try...but check everything that something is not perfectly tuned to stability.

hehehe...people have not noticed but hey left scape under their own eyes an outstanding piece of audio electronics.

Output transistor count not show in the schematic... 5 pairs to 8 ohms, 8 pairs to 4 ohms and 16 pairs to 2 ohms.

Supply voltage can be increased to 95 volts and with a couple of pairs more you can reach 2 Kilowatts easy, per channel, with low distortion..but transformer or SMPS must be huge and heatsink will be 4 automobile batteries side by side (size) to each channel...electrolitic capacitors bank if traditional supply used will be something that you will have to sell your house to pay them.

Maybe this was the reason pirates left it alone..but for sure the circuit is inside one of these "real good high end" we have out there

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Troyan.jpg
    Troyan.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Exageration is my name my dear...you use the discount

rate you wish.

I do respect Hugh a lot...but to respect him you must, in advance, know his skills, how he developed stuff, where he have studied..people that is around him and his secrets...without these clues..no way to give him the real value.

Hugh produces "sound"...great "sonics"..... when Doctor Self produce great concept...but when you put the concept and Hugh unit playing together you will understand what i mean.

Cannot help you... no way to change character to adapt myself to each one of forum folks requirement......sorry...i am exagerated.... naturally this way....euphoric...happy....i have enthusiasm, passion... i am different from Swedish people..i am a Brazilian!... see them dancing Samba...then you may understand.

Maybe under the God's vision another one is the greatest designer...maybe you can be...but i am not God and i have not God's vision...so....i use to say things based into my point of view....there are some guys that believe me...as i told nice things about the amplifiers i use to make and they checked and said i was not exagerating.

best regards,

Carlos

Yes...i know that...and i am 63 years old

I know when and where we gonna match...all of us.

No doubts...and not too much distant for me.

It is written in Portuguese into a simple redneck cemetery..where a famous man was buried:

"Here ends the wealth, the pride and vanity"

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Here ends the wealth, pride and vanity.jpg
    Here ends the wealth, pride and vanity.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 354
Yes....maybe not possible Andrew....only possible in the simulator

I cannot test...also not interested to test it myself....i am doing other things now a days....special ideas to LM1875 an TDA2030....believe me or not

Some friends asked me to enter in that area to have fun with them...and i am reading you are too interested.

Man....i have a lot of unused solutions to increase power.... a new kind of bridge not bridged... and an output to accept any integrated to increase the output power and to allow them to work with 1 ohms.

Having fun.... joint venture of four crazy guys (i am included) to have fun with chips.

I am reading you there...much more kind than you use to be here......interesting that....are you fine?... healthy?...without high fever that makes us delirious.... so kind you are in the Chip amplifier forum, this reminds me the Andrew that goes to dance groups to raise aid for sick ..... doing charity work ... very good this other side you have in your personality!... the positive side..the mirror.:)

We all have something good...no doubts about that.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.