Driver Measurements Which Are Needed For Speaker Design

The context for the impedance plot I showed above is here in this link. The driver is a Purifi PTT6.5M04.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/purifi-waveguide-project.394174/post-7349489

My main interest is looking at the impedance plot from an electrical signal processing standpoint, or an electrical power standpoint, and extracting information about the 640 Hz resonance based on its shape. Can I get the Q of the resonance? (maybe)... Can I estimate how much acoustical radiation will come from the cabinet wall? (probably not)... But I am interested in anyone's thoughts.
I don’t think the impedance plot reveals cabinet wall resonances very easily. More so the modal behavior of the enclosed air volume and its impact on the loudspeaker cone.

Reactions: 1 user
Impedane curve in free air vs. in box are needed to distinguish between spider/frame resonsnce form box/driver opening resonances and standing waves

The magnitude of imp. peak in Jim's example look insignificant to me, but I'm not an expert.

Low freq large impedance peaks tell about motor/driver or box tuning resonances.

---
Hörnli shows interesting variation! I haven't seen such before. Is it really possible that room modes make impedance to vary so much?

Reactions: 1 users
since we’re having a grand time discussing/debating impedance data, I will soon post a few (?10) impedance plots, we can all play a “spot diagnosis” game.
The purpose of the game kinda beats me?

To me it sounds like guessing the issues afterwards without the correct measurements?
Maybe it's possible if you know the drivers well, but doing it the right way is just much easier and finding the problems better.

This is the same loudspeaker box at two different positions in my room: View attachment 1288390
The different wiggles near 100 Hz are not surprising, given different position in the room, and hence different room modes coupling back into the driver. What is unusual is that impedance is rather high (25...30 Ohm) and almost perfectly flat (within +/- 1.5 Ohm up to 2 kHz). Why is that?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Why would this be a measurement issue?The differences could be explained as differences in the room loading or rather unloading the cone at very specific frequencies likely corresponding with room modes at those particular frequencies.
Nah, I don't think so.
Based on the setup it looks like he's using a series resistor of probably 60 ohms or so. Unless there are pads on both inputs of his sound-card, that speaker is not making very much sound during this test.
Not really enough to excite rooms modes......and certainly not enough to develop and act on the driver to contaminate the measurement.

The traces are wobbling around quite a bit more than expected in the low range. I suppose something environmental could be affecting it. Maybe the speaker was sitting on a window sill and there was a locomotive going by?? :)

Also, the phase plot is not tracking the magnitude correctly.

If seeing something like that, the first thing I'd do is substitute a resistor for the DUT and verify I had a perfectly flat magnitude trace and a flat phase plot on zero degrees.

Dave.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
@markbakk
Yeah, it's not out of the realm of possibility.
But remember this is not an acoustic measurement.....except for the speaker itself working as a microphone and coupling back into the test scheme.
Relatively speaking though, that's not a very good microphone. And, it's quite busy producing sound during this entire test. :)

There is also the variable of stuffing inside the box that might have moved (or be moving around during) between tests.

I think I better get dressed in my nit-picking armor now waiting for some of the other members to give me grief. :)

Dave.

I am not quite sure what you mean by ANALYSIS. Can you explain?
A stepped sine sweep filters everything except the measurement frequency and the harmonics you look at. A MLS signal needs some FFT transformation and depending on size of the MLS you get more or less information at low frequencies. It reacts different to noise!
With the Audio Precision System a continues sweep reacts differently (more sensitive) to low frequency noise as a stepped sweep. This can make problems when you need calibration and use 1/4" mics with pretty high self noise at low frequencies for e.g. and will also influence your THD measurements.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
@Samps

I mentioned it in this post
but it didn't gain much traction. Thanks for bringing it up again.

Take 2:
For people who like to read, rather than watch a 1 hour video:
https://youtubetranscript.com/?v=El-kwZ5_nnU

For those who are time poor, I asked ChatGPT to summarize the aforementioned transcript to tell us what it's about:
This is what the LLM had to say-

1710992863159.png

Of course the LLM could be off by a little (or a lot) and not know that it doesn't know.

Have you have a chance to review the video? Can we all dump our dual channel measurement setups ofneBay now before everyone knows about this trick? If not, why not?

Last edited: