Doubling drivers and good/bad/ugly wave graph Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please delete

Pointless thread

Attachments

• speakerdisplacment.jpg
    speakerdisplacment.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 272
  • x1vol.jpg
    x1vol.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 253
  • sizex1.jpg
    sizex1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 261
  • x2vol.jpg
    x2vol.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 260
  • sizex2.jpg
    sizex2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 254
  • grapth.jpg
    grapth.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 89
  • manudoc.jpg
    manudoc.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 93
  • portedbox.jpg
    portedbox.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Hi,

Your numbers are all over the place and make utterly no sense.
A driver with a Vas of 1L belongs nowhere near a 25L box.
No 92Hz Fs driver will ever do 22Hz f3, simulator nonsense.

You need to add some common sense and understanding
to playing with box simulators numbers, and get realistic.

rgds, sreten.

Being coy about the driver is just being utterly tedious.
No-one will ever read a thread about an unknown driver.

Last edited:
Hi,

Your numbers are all over the place and make utterly no sense.
A driver with a Vas of 1L belongs nowhere near a 25L box.
No 92Hz Fs driver will ever do 22Hz f3, simulator nonsense.

You need to add some common sense and understanding
to playing with box simulators numbers, and get realistic.

rgds, sreten.

Being coy about the driver is just being utterly tedious.
No-one will ever read a thread about an unknown driver.

That's it ? I follow the guide put the measurements in as instructed, and that was the result.. should I now have the admin delete the post because I'm not worthy of the forum?
Not even a.. .. Oh I see where you might of gone wrong.. here's what it should be ?
All I get is "apply common sense" ? To what ? If I don't know what to apply it to.
And as for being coy.. it was a blind test because I've seen so many post of opinions about drivers.. rather than what the graph tells you.

Do me a favor sreten, I wont post in your threads if you don't post anymore in mine..!

That's it ? I follow the guide put the measurements in as instructed, and that was the result.. should I now have the admin delete the post because I'm not worthy of the forum?
Not even a.. .. Oh I see where you might of gone wrong.. here's what it should be ?
All I get is "apply common sense" ? To what ? If I don't know what to apply it to.
And as for being coy.. it was a blind test because I've seen so many post of opinions about drivers.. rather than what the graph tells you.

Do me a favor sreten, I wont post in your threads if you don't post anymore in mine..!

I agree. Though I don't have the knowledge to help you much with your situation, those that comment should keep their input constructive and polite or don't post a response. Sreten is very knowledgeable but his post really left me feeling like he's having a bad day or he's really just a newbie flaming douche.

Hi,

FWIW I was trying to accentuate how much the OP
is way out of his depth in his simplistic approach.

All I can do is warn. I can't post a "how to design"
primer in these cases, all I can do is basically
suggest "get your act together", i.e. learn.

If you want to build something that is sensible.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

FWIW I was trying to accentuate how much the OP
is way out of his depth in his simplistic approach.

All I can do is warn. I can't post a "how to design"
primer in these cases, all I can do is basically
suggest "get your act together", i.e. learn.

rgds, sreten.

Point taken and I agree. Pushing a driver down into the 20hz range that has an fs of 90-something isn't gonna happen obviously. I've seen hundreds of your posts if not more and I just expected a different response from someone like you who's pretty well respected on this forum. The OP does have some learning to do obviously. I don't have any links to provide at the moment but hopefully someone will come along and provide what the OP needs to fill in the blanks.

Wes

I give in, its now turned into a flame thread.. thanks sreten

Admin please delete the thread.

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

And you've kicked the **** out of mine..

I'd rather die ignorant than angry

Hi,

Good grief, your a strange one. Don't post if you don't want help.
And trust me you need a lot of help, to do what you want to do.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
fivetide- re the final line in last post #7 -we all die ignorant of much -not the least being the extent of our "knowledge"

yes, sreten oft times could use an "impatience translator" - a la a Key and Poole ;), and it can take some experience to parse through to the crux of his text - but if this was a flame thread, I think y'all'd be feeling a bit more burn

Indeed, fivetide.

Giving up so easily? I wouldn't recommend DIY then...

There's so much more to it than finding an app, punching in numbers and hoping to see some kind of result.

Especially DIYing audio stuff.
There is a learning curve, and there are a LOT of hours involved.

Since discovering DIY Audio, I spent so many evenings and nights reading posts, papers audio related, Google being a mixed-feelings friend, weighting in the good and the bad of the different modeled speaker designs, and above all.... learning.

I will die ignorant about many things, but my curiosity has never faltered ever and it will push me to want to know more... even though there might be some speed bumps along the way.

If someone told me I was way off trying to do something, I would ask the questions... What did I do wrong? How can I learn about this?

Unfortunately, we live in an age where humans have less attention span than goldfish....
Humans have shorter attention span than goldfish, thanks to smartphones

Indeed, fivetide.

Giving up so easily? I wouldn't recommend DIY then...

Yeah I agree , unless your actually genetically inclined towards the subset species of audiophiliam, I would now recommend not to attempt to put 6 pieces of plywood together, plus a speaker driver and see how it sounds, that would constitute heresy !! I would expect to be boiled in my own urine while my peers who hold all esoteric knowledge of such matters, defecate in an old sock and promptly flog me with it.. anything less would not be considered justice.

There's so much more to it than finding an app, punching in numbers and hoping to see some kind of result.

Unless that's where you started and was asking for help and advice.. but of course I was just attempting to show off.. for which I apologies.

Especially DIYing audio stuff.

Goes without saying

There is a learning curve, and there are a LOT of hours involved.

How long in your esteemed view before I could expect to receive the wizards hat ?

Since discovering DIY Audio, I spent so many evenings and nights reading posts, papers audio related, Google being a mixed-feelings friend, weighting in the good and the bad of the different modeled speaker designs, and above all.... learning.

I will die ignorant about many things, but my curiosity has never faltered ever and it will push me to want to know more... even though there might be some speed bumps along the way.

If someone told me I was way off trying to do something, I would ask the questions... What did I do wrong? How can I learn about this?

Didn't get the chance.. read the thread and see the trail of black smoke I left while plummeting into the Sea of Fail just off the coast of Trolltown

Unfortunately, we live in an age where humans have less attention span than goldfish....
Humans have shorter attention span than goldfish, thanks to smartphones

I should hand my BSc back then, I obviously cheated.

Hi,

If you have a BSc and any understanding of the basics of acoustics
you should have been able to work out your numbers are nonsense.
And that your online calculator is reporting nonsense, as they can do.

Frankly your attitude is appalling. You claim you want help and advice
but all you do is bitterly complain, and don't ask relevant questions.

rgds, sreten.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that you never see 4" drivers
in near 1 cuft boxes, and there must be a very good reason for that.

Last edited:
Fivetide - It's an unfortunate fact that on any forum there will be members who can come across as abrasive. If you stick around long enough you'll know who they are. If you keep your cool and stake out the high ground you will earn respect and cooperation. Make sure you stay out of trouble by following the rules of diyaudio and demand that others do the same. Thank those who give you helpful advice and ignore those who don't. Good luck with your project.

Fivetide,

It might be fun to try that driver in an open baffle as a mid-tweet, XOed at around 500 Hz to a large woofer-- a la MJK's small passive OB project.

Another thing to look at might be XRK971's 0.4X mini-karlsonator. Could make a nice little desk top computer speaker.

Cheers, Jim

jimbro - Dave (fivetide) has been on these fora long enough (since 2011) that he should have by now gathered how we work. I guess it's new that a BSc predisposes some folks to volatility but does not necessarily ensure a tough skin

Dave - as Jim S and Jeff have suggested, it's hard to go wrong by experimenting with a small driver on OB - provided you high pass them to preclude exceeding X-max at targeted SPLs . As with all of Martin's white papers, those on the subject are very thorough, and should include enough math for even the most fervent geek . In fact if you've not already done so, the entire site is worth the time to study carefully.

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.