Doubling drivers and good/bad/ugly wave graph Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fivetide - It's an unfortunate fact that on any forum there will be members who can come across as abrasive. If you stick around long enough you'll know who they are. If you keep your cool and stake out the high ground you will earn respect and cooperation. Make sure you stay out of trouble by following the rules of diyaudio and demand that others do the same. Thank those who give you helpful advice and ignore those who don't. Good luck with your project.

Jimbro I agree with everything you have said and I appreciate the advice.

Fivetide,

It might be fun to try that driver in an open baffle as a mid-tweet, XOed at around 500 Hz to a large woofer-- a la MJK's small passive OB project.

Another thing to look at might be XRK971's 0.4X mini-karlsonator. Could make a nice little desk top computer speaker.

Cheers, Jim

With a Qts of 1.07 I'd try OB (as Bob already indicated). But I try just about any driver on OB.

Jim/Godzilla.. thanks.. never even heard of an open baffle just googled it and I'm going to make a couple.. they look quite easy ! I'll post some pics when I've finished.. and yes I only have headphones for my PC so may be a low cost way of putting some soothing tunes in my office.. might even chill me out a bit :)

Now my enthusiasm has been recharged.. just a couple of straight forward helpful posts and I feel better about going forward with dipping a toe into the DIY speaker hobby :)

jimbro - Dave (fivetide) has been on these fora long enough (since 2011) that he should have by now gathered how we work. I guess it's new that a BSc predisposes some folks to volatility but does not necessarily ensure a tough skin

Dave - as Jim S and Jeff have suggested, it's hard to go wrong by experimenting with a small driver on OB - provided you high pass them to preclude exceeding X-max at targeted SPLs . As with all of Martin's white papers, those on the subject are very thorough, and should include enough math for even the most fervent geek . In fact if you've not already done so, the entire site is worth the time to study carefully.

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Chris .. I put it down to the weather.. its been quite hot in the north and that's unusual for these parts ;) and I'm old..BTW the BSc is in computer science, it was redundant before I got it and I used it once to get my first post Uni job.. (1989) since then I've never had it on another C.V. I only mentioned the BSc to try and make the point that although I'm not educated in the dark art of monkey coffin building.. I'm not feckless either.

Excellent. In that case, as I said, if you want advice, it would help if you state what the driver is and what specifically you are trying to achieve. Then we may be able to offer useful suggestions.

Hi Scottmoose, I have 4 pairs of these, which a friend gave me. He had a project to make a small sound bar for his caravan TV but was kibosh-ed by her indoors on the basis that it wasn't aesthetically pleasing to the ( her) eyes..

Tectonic Elements BMR® Drivers

The Tectonic Elements range of BMR® drivers are unique full-range audio loudspeaker units. Exhibiting an extended frequency response and wider directivity when compared with typical conventional drive units. The benefits of Tectonic Elements bending-wave technology and pistonic mode of operation combine to produce an ideal solution for audio applications that requires a full-range, high performance compact acoustic solution. These compact drive units are available in various form factors. And are ideally suited for a wide range of markets including consumer electronics, professional audio, automotive and industrial.

Data Sheet

Speaker bunff by company

And they only cost £10.25 plus free shipping so i can mess up and replace one easily LINK

Last edited:
Hi,

FWIW I actually spotted what drivers they are from
the response and specs given in the first post.

They would make a great budget AV system used with a subwoofer.

My attitude was all about to make you see some sense.

About 3 litres per driver sealed and stuffed is the way to do it.

Investigate 0.5 ways for the front 3 speakers *, using two
drivers each and one driver with a BSC filter for the rears.

0.5 way automatically does BSC, the rear will need filters.

You will need to use an AV amplifier, but most should be fine.

rgds, sreten.

* Arguably the centre could be simply two units in parallel.
With a bit of filtering but not as much as full BSC.

Last edited:
Nope. It's half a way (1/2 or 0.5)
When two ore more identical radiators work together
And one (ore two) are crossed lower ( often at BSC )

You'll see often 2.5 way system with two woofers
You can put the second wf after the first (filtered) one, with an
extra filtering ( coil )
Or just filter each in parallel style as usual :confused:

0.5 That looks a good Idea sreten I remember reading an article of someone’s who was experimenting with two identical small full range but tuning each with a crossover for better highs and mids. Not sure it would work, the design was like this .. its just a mock up from memory might not be what was actually being built.

attachment.php

Although it’s not relevant to the thread as such it may be better if I out line my long term plan (in planning stage for a long - long time lol)
At the moment this is my desktop setup

attachment.php

Obviously a bit OTT but I love TDL’s ..what can I say !
1st The aim is to replace the TDL’s with a pair of Dave’s frugal Fonken’s which I’m going to extend (heighten without adding volume) to bring them up to my eye/ear level.

2nd Take the TDL RTL’s and make a pair of side wall cabinets to replace my bookshelf which has the rear left/right’s just sitting on a shelf ( a pair of Q 10’s) With a pair of thre BMR's as Mid-Side speakers

attachment.php

And use the BMR’s in a configuration that sounds as good as it can be.
3rd Rebox my other TDL’s which I modded with Scanspeak 18W8545-00 and D2905/990000 tweeter.

attachment.php

The crossovers however, well Jerry at Falcon recommended them and the speakers do sound awesome. But i want them inside for obvious reasons.

attachment.php

The surround sound system is a Sony DA59800ES with the 2 front modded TDL’s going through a Quad 405-2. Music is supplied by PC via the Sony’s USB which has a pair of DAC’s used I believe in the top SACD. And it works well with JRiver’s ASIO.

I don’t use a Sub I like the transmission line more.

And then there’s room for 2 more of the small satellites above the TV for the front highs.

5th and final if I don’t die of old age, is to use the old drivers from the TDL I modded and make a centre, possibly one mid with tweeter’s either side .. that’s way in the future.

I’m going to make some of Dave’s Frugals out of 12mm ply and lined with some scrap carpet tiles I have and add in the BMR’s as they are, then listen to see what they sound like as a complete Alpha test. Then I will go from there and experiment.

Attachments

• 2_5speaker.jpg
    2_5speaker.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 158
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 149
  • tdl_1_front.jpg
    tdl_1_front.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 166
  • TDL_2_crossover.jpg
    TDL_2_crossover.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 145
  • desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 145
Hi,

FWIW I actually spotted what drivers they are from
the response and specs given in the first post.

They would make a great budget AV system used with a subwoofer.

My attitude was all about to make you see some sense.

About 3 litres per driver sealed and stuffed is the way to do it.

Investigate 0.5 ways for the front 3 speakers *, using two
drivers each and one driver with a BSC filter for the rears.

0.5 way automatically does BSC, the rear will need filters.

You will need to use an AV amplifier, but most should be fine.

rgds, sreten.

* Arguably the centre could be simply two units in parallel.
With a bit of filtering but not as much as full BSC.

I have the drivers on my desk, I have designed it as you suggested around 3 ltrs, it actually works out at 2.84 ltrs. For the desktop I designed it so the driver is at chin.. ish level as most desktops are stumpy and the sound tends to aim at your lower chest.
Bought a ECM8000 of eBay for a tenner, already had True RTA lvl 3 from modding the RTL's.
Bought the Birch Plywood (Planet will be happy to hear that).
Have an old set of 15mm MDF shelves dismantled at the end of the workshop.
Lining them with the floor tiles.
So going to build in both materials and then test.. go from there see how they turn out.. the funs in the trying I think ? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.