Double Bass Array

Yes, there are 24 subwoofers.

A DBA will always be mono, so it's some kind of compromise and it needs to be crossed over not much higher than 100 Hz.

I have an idea how to make the DBA array stereo: you need more subs and a dsp per sub but then you can create any wave front in all directions like this:

1689254631755.png

What do you think?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
My measurements were a little delayed by a local thunderstorm. But here's more....!

Here I have added some global EQ to smoothen the overall frequency response up to 100 Hz. This measurement was also done with not smoothing.

Jul 13 - DBA with EQ.png

And the decay

Jul 13 - DA Both arrays with global EQ.png

As we can see, the decay is short and clean from up to 100 Hz. It is however possible to get this even better by using EQ on the rear array.

Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Let's see how this thing performs without the rear array. I've equalized the front array so the frequency response is the same as with the rear array. As we see, the two responses are closely matched.

Jul 13 - No rear array comparison.png

Here's the decay of the front array only. This shows the effect of the rear array. As we see, the decay is not as clean as with the rear array, even though it's still quite good.

Jul 13 - No rear array.png

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
It would be interesting to see how a single monopole subwoofer performs in my room compared to the DBA, right?

I disconnected all the subwoofers in the front array except for this one. And by the way - here's my array layout. The front wall is 5 meters wide, and the average ceiling height is 3 meters.

1689310371055.png

Response is EQ'ed flat from 20 to 100 Hz of course.

And here's the decay. Not quite as short and smooth as the DBA.............

Jul 13 - Single Sub.png

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Here's two pictures of the front end of my room, with the 3 meter wide projection screen and drapes removed. They've been taken with a wide-angle lens, so the perspective is a bit weird.

We see the twelve subwoofers in the front DBA array, as well as my center channel based on a Magnepan 3.6 with two dipole 4x10" midbass panels on each side. You also see the front speakers based on Magnepan 3.7 with dipole 4x12" midbass panels.

20230714_073714_COPY.jpg

20230714_073554_COPY.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The arrays are powered by three ICEpower 2000AS2 2-channel amplifiers. The front array has two of these amps since it is higher in level than the rear, thus it needs more power. All EQ, delay and level is adjusted in a MiniDSP flex. I will go into detail about this later. My Anthem AVM 70 preamp/processor takes care of the crossovers and bass management. All speakers are crossed over to the DBA at 80 Hz.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I have an idea how to make the DBA array stereo: you need more subs and a dsp per sub but then you can create any wave front in all directions like this:
What do you think?
I don’t think this can create a plane wave?

I do have a stereo DBA idea - install two separate arrays on the side walls.

That being said, our hearing is not considered to be able to locate where low frequencies are coming from, so
I don’t think it’s any point to do it anyway.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Here's how this DBA has been set up in the MiniDSP Flex.

MiniDSP ruting DBA.png

1689401135265.png

You may wonder why I'm using an analog loopback instead of just routing In 1 directly to Out 1 and 2. There are two reasons - the number of available PEQs is doubled. I also wanted to run a FIR phase correction filter. The MiniDSP Flex can only do that on outputs. If not using a loopback, the FIR must had been applied at two outputs (out 1 and 2).... using just one is simpler. I'm lazy...

I use EQ that is affecting both arrays in two places since I ran out of available PEQs. That is on the In 1 (SUBW in), and the Out 4 (Loopback out). The front array has no dedicated EQ, but the rear has a little to shorten the decay of a few room modes.

In 1 (SUBW in)

PEQ
1689401042257.png

Out 4 (Loopback out)

PEQ
1689401105631.png

Out 2 (Rear array)

PEQ - these PEQs are used to shorten the decay of specific room modes. They are all 1 dB or less, but their effect is quite obvious.

1689401853478.png

Yes, there are 24 subwoofers.

A DBA will always be mono, so it's some kind of compromise and it needs to be crossed over not much higher than 100 Hz.

Hard to imagine this in anything other than a purpose built room. I wonder when the point of diminishing returns is reached? 8 subs? 12? 20? For most this is an academic exercise with no possibility of ever installing such a system but bravo for the over the top effort!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
When people ask me "how can I get bass as good as this in my home which is an odd shaped large open space?" I answer - "headphones" ... :sneaky:

To create a double bass array, at least eight subwoofers is required - 2 x 2 on each opposing wall. I could have done it with an array of 2x3 on each wall, and still get good response up to my crossover point at 80 Hz.

I had collected a lot of SEAS L26ROY woofers of the years used for various projects, and decided to use eighteen of them for my first DBA, with a 3x3 array on each wall. I increased that to twenty-four some time later.

The SEAS L26ROY is an expensive driver, so If I was to build the whole thing from scratch today, I would have looked at something else I guess.

View attachment 1192454

What do you think?
Quad bass array?:D

Stereo speaker setup in a corner works fine:
corner-setup.jpg

Just put two DBA in same room, one for each dimension. But how many subs would that be? It's likely cheaper to make new room with 2m bass absorption on all walls?:D