Don' t care for accuracy, just enjoyment, at lower volumes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can certainly go that way...
But if you want great weighty tight bass you may ultimately be disappointed.
Perhaps nice little fullrangers running from 150Hz up, in small boxes easily positioned in ideal place... Plus active subwoofer with plate amp with flexibility of volume/cut off frequency/ even phase... Would be my take.
Not too expensive, flexible, waf friendly, yet potentially great sounding.
Remings me many systems i built for friends... Inspired by one old obscure sony system.
Good luck!

I agree with Jeff.

The A10.3 can certainly go down low and if volumes are modest it may really be able to “do it all”. Imaging is amongst the best I have ever experienced.

I started with Pencil enclosure but recently made a smaller stand mount bass reflex for these drivers. If space is a consideration these boxes would be just the ticket.

Attachments

• 28278692-0EDF-4F97-8D81-B34F254E7C1C.jpg
    28278692-0EDF-4F97-8D81-B34F254E7C1C.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
I actually already have four Alpair 7. Bought a long time ago with intention of building Microtower Castles but again, this has to take a back seat as things in my personal and work life took over.

I am now wondering about just using one of the Alpair and building Frugel-Horns, and keeping the second pair of drivers for another project

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I agree with Jeff.

The A10.3 can certainly go down low and if volumes are modest it may really be able to “do it all”. Imaging is amongst the best I have ever experienced.

I started with Pencil enclosure but recently made a smaller stand mount bass reflex for these drivers. If space is a consideration these boxes would be just the ticket.

Nice boxes, Bigun.
I do some woodworking in my garage at times too.
I love getting sawdust all over the place.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The only Troels TQWT i am familiar with cost exponential dollars more for drivers & box, likely has considerably deeper bass (multiple woofers), and play louder, but with an XO will lack that special magic a good FR brings.

Using A7 with a helper woofer in a big WAW would bring the compeariaon a lot closer, bringin g the bass, and loudness levels without sacrificiny the magic.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A number of things contribute to FR “magic”:

Usually directly driven by amplifiers.

A FR is a single source, pysically & aurally, with superb phase response (adding a whizzer can negate that). No XOs. A coax has the potential to also be such, but that probably requires a DSP XO and a very good dispersion match at the XO.

The other is the generally benign impedance curve, one of the reasons a good FR has a greater potential to match with your highe routput impedance amps (such as typical SET/SEP amps).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.