Doesanyone cross horn subs to sealed for low bass ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should have added. It would be just as easy to do most of the bits on a table saw any way, as if you cut the panel first, then put the mitre on you may as well just put it through the tablesaw once, doing the cut to size and mitre in one. The laser definitely helps get the baffles and nose flares right, but everything else would be simple on the tablesaw.

In hindsight I'd have just done the baffles , flares and side panels on the laser and the rest on the table saw :)

Rob.

Hi All,

Seeing as there was a lot of talk about midrange horns in this thread, and most of the diyaudio 'hornies' were here....

Over the last 4 months or so I've built a couple of Bruce Edgars midrange tractrix horns, with the jbl le-5 driver. They sound and measure great, but do vibrate a fair bit.

Also built a couple of midbass horns to try but thats for another time.

I run them 500Hz - 5k.

I'm thinking of building a box around them and bracing, then filling it with bitumen or concrete.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

• mids.jpg
    mids.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 170
Hi Coolin,

I've read of people using expanding foam to keep the weight down too..

On a midrange cab the weight will not be an issue - in theory it should help damp the midbass cab its sitting on (Edgar has suggested a granite slab or bag of sand on top of midbass horns to aid damping)

I've done a lot of searching on damping, and the 3 solutions I've asked about are the most common. I was wondering which the 'horn guys' here would choose.

Cheers,

Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.