Does tone-arm wire really make a difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, you lost me there. Why not?:confused:
A normal balanced-input pre-amp (without transformer) would have some input impedance between each input (i.e. inverting and non-inverting) and earth.
Do you not have any DC path to earth from the cartridge anywhere?
Or is this for when the "-" pins of the cartridge are grounded to the headshell?

It's the problem of nomenclature and strict definition. All ungrounded signals are balanced, but not all balanced topologies conform to the ungrounded signal topology.

John

You were getting 10%? What's you're secret? Are you fabulously wealthy?

John

Not any more.

When referring to "Balanced" signals, It would be logical that the balance is between each side and some (same) reference point. (ground)
I'm thinking of a teeter-totter being balanced on a fulcrum (ground) and each end being the MC.
If the signal were Mono, but not grounded would it too be "Balanced"?

Ron

Last edited:
I don't follow....

For me the "balanced" signal has no reference to ground. There is + and -, but the are related to each other, not ground.

The balance in "balanced" refers to balanced impedances. Between + and ground and - and ground. Ground can either be fixed, or floating as is the case with a non-center tapped transformer primary.

It's the balance of impedances that's required for best common-mode rejection.

se

OK,
So a mono signal CAN be balanced? Correct?
I had thought (erroneously) that the R&L signals were balanced to each other from the ground, not themselves. But, now, thinking about it, that's why balanced wiring has 3 wires, not 2. One being the shield (ground) and the other 2 being (+) and (-) .
ie: Cat5e and Star Quad from Canare are both balanced cabling.
OK, thanks guys I think I got it now.

Duh, seems simple, Simon.
Ron

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Of course you can. There may be a minor issue with hum but nothing too severe. As the loop at the tonearm pivot can be large enough, it is mechanically often better than having the wire inside the tube. Most of the teflon insulated tonearm wires are really not flexible enough inside an arm tube but can work fine outside. I am certainly not the only one who needed such a comparison as a convincer before doing the real re-wire job.

Edit: As i only use MC carts i cannot really say what the hum situation would be in a high impedance circuit using an MM cart.

Truth be told I got fed up reading the B.S.
If you want to learn about cable this is the way to go.

Solid core, multi-strand, insulation materials, twisting. Whatever.
If you have a revealing enough setup it'll be audible to the point of wondering why people think cable isn't audible.

Pretty much everything's audible but very few people actually listen.

Cheers, ;)

Truth be told I got fed up reading the B.S.
If you want to learn about cable this is the way to go.

Solid core, multi-strand, insulation materials, twisting. Whatever.
If you have a revealing enough setup it'll be audible to the point of wondering why people think cable isn't audible.

Pretty much everything's audible but very few people actually listen.

Thank you Frank (fdegrove)

You have nailed the head bang on.

I tried 4 different XLR connector; cardas the worst, gold plated Vampire next, cheapest coming second, and Neutrik silver plated on top.

I tried 6 different cables for my balanced system, no list needed.

I am now using, and may never change, unshielded, high purity silver wire, no jacket required. There is absolutely no RFI in my system.

It was only after trying all the different combinations that my wife said 'that's the one, don't change it'!.

Point taken but as someone who has been in the electronics industry for 30+ years, I am sick fed up of those who put forward subjective argument without the slightest shred of scientific proof.

I have been an electronics designer and prototyper for many years and believe entirely in solid test evidence, shown on electronic test equipment.

Show me on any form of test equipment that cable "A" is audibly better than cable "B" of similar construction and I will happily eat humble pie.

As I posted earlier, Have a look at the cable articles put forward by Rod Elliot here;

Elliott Sound Products - DIY Audio Articles

Tears of rage.
That attitude is brake pulling.Axiom instead of a more softly written theorem.
A softly spoken -written thesis on the subject,would bring more sweet fruits into our basket,friend.
Common folks,not audiophiles,tremble,in the idea of paying more for a piece of cable,than a pair of good shoes.And the funny thing is that they are right.
Big money cables do sound waaaaay better,if you have the monies to pay for them.Ask any buyer.
The point is what happens with the common garden samples?Do they sound better or worse judged,one vs the other?
For example a coaxial against a parallel pair,or against a twisted pair.
If you allow me to express my opinion, they do sound DIFFERENT,in certain situations.Not better or worse,just different.
Absolutely speaking,as you, copper is copper,but purity of material varies,and the dielectric too.An oxidation caused by PVC,is creating problems in certain situations,so we can have polyurethane or polypropylene,or cotton, or pure varnish ,take your pick,materials,that do not interact so easy with copper.
Everything is reacting differently,and the absolute results will VARY,either measurable or not.
Some say they can hear differences. I am not the one to say to them that they are nuts,because physics say so.Argue to your hearts delight,by they will insist that they do.

On to the subject of tonearm cabling. Yes different cabling will sound differently. It is like coffee,from one manufacurer and then another. Small details exist,either you hear them or not.Don't forget that the cartridge generated signal is ultra small,and suceptible to three or four interruptions,and different materials threasolds until the preamp.
I do not know if I can hear the difference between a straight one meter tonearm cable,and one broken ,soldered,crimped or connected several times in that length. May be I can measure it,I don't know that too. Bur either I like it or not it is different.Not better or worse.Just different.

BTW,what do you mean by "similar construction " ?

B.L

Again?

Why, Oh why, does it always come down to this...........:dunno: :sad:

If you can, or if you just "think" you can, does it really matter? No.
Each of us decides what sounds "best". This, more than likely, does not sound the "best" to someone else. I (admittedly) have terrible hearing due to years in the home construction industry, however, I know that I prefer some interconnects over others. Is one "better" than the other? I Dunno. But I leave the one I prefer installed in my system and take the other one out. Could the difference be measured? Again, I dunno. Maybe. I DON'T care. If you are the type that needs to have empirical data to support what you "think" you may hear, then fine, now you have your proof. Some of us (myself included) don't need that proof or to prove to anyone else that we prefer one over another.
Who gives a Rodents rear end!

Moving on.
What we (collectively) are looking for when we ask the "better" question is;
What are the common results from our individual experiences with different types of wires?
Some of my examples are;
Stiff wires are bad, and will impede tonearm movement.
Silver plated copper sounds "tinny" to my ears.
Solid silver wire sounds more exacting, crisper to my ears.
Copper wire sounds smoother and richer, drum strikes are "rounded" to my ears.

Is one "better"? I dunno. I can only state which I prefer. Better is a subjective term.

Ron

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

You forgot to mention gold....

What matters to me is the acknowledgement that tonearm cable, and for that matter cable in general can sound different.
What's best for your system is a matter of how you prefer your system to sound.

There are an awful lot of reasons why two pieces of copper wire won't necessarily sound the same but price shouldn't be one of them.

Yes, all metals have a different sonic fingerprint, or tonal balance if you like, silverclad copper doesn't sound the same at all as pure silver and so on.

The chemical composition of various mineral waters vary and so does the way they taste. Most people seem to accept that, some even take it for granted.
But when the chemical composition of a cable varies from one sample to another we have all the difficulty in the world to accept this can have an impact on how it will sound.

Which is kind of strange when you consider that we judge a cook by the way his food tastes....

Isn't a good audio electronics designer not someone who intimately knows the sound of the components he uses and judiciously picks to create a sound which he feels is correct.
By doing so does he add or distract anything currently measurable? Not that I know of.

When you replace those fine WIMA MKP caps with a boutique brand did you measure any difference?
Did the amp still sound the same as before?

So, obviously measurements don't tell the whole story.
That doesn't mean they're useless either but we should look at them the same way as we would look at a computer; they're just a tool and therefore just as silly or as clever as the person using them....

Cheers, ;)

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Errr, yeah, that's me. Insecure.

:rolleyes:

Why do people demand proof, evidence and so forth?
Do you hear the subtle (or not so subtle to my ears) differences between cables, wires etc. ?

You probably don't for if you would you would have put yourself to the test long ago.

Now prove to me you can taste the difference between a Carlsberg and a Tuborg beer.
That should be easy enough but to millions of people beer's just beer and to hundreds of thousands those two are just Danish pils, they just don't care.

In order to be able to perceive one has to be willing to be be perceptive.

Mind you, I don't blame anyone for not hearing what some of us do.
We're not demanding evidence so why should you?

Ciao, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.