Does tone-arm wire really make a difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tribolectric? Back in the day less resistance was more desirable. That usually decreases with cross sectional area increasing. Twisting insulated wires will make capacitors and inductors. I would expect that would be worse than just straight resistance given their non linear frequency response. Effectively making filter circuits.

SY can you adapt a normal tube phone for balanced input. My preamp is the SRPP design from EleKtor. 15 years and going strong!!

Tribolectric?

Yes, that's it exactly. And yes, less resistance is more desirable, with this being significant for low R cartridges having low output voltages.

Adapting an older preamp to balanced (and jlsem, yes, "balanced," not just ungrounded) is not a trivial exercise, I'm afraid. That's one major reason I just chucked my old phono stage, built a new one, and made new cabling for my turntable. The disadvantage is that I can't interchange components with most people- I think that EC8010 and perhaps two other people would have systems compatible with mine.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ever see a dynamic mic with a center tap voice coil? Nope, doesn't need it. As long as the signal is differential it's balanced. Ground is not referenced in the signal.

In fact, the signal going to speakers out of a bridged amp is "balanced". The negative terminal is not connected to ground. My little BTL class-d amps work that way. So could a tube amp, is the secondary of the transformer is not tied to ground. But there isn't much advantage in a speaker level signal being balanced. Mic and phono, yes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I Let me rephrase this: "low yield".
LOL Quite right! (sometimes you really do have to bang it home, or it gets lost in the noise)

Everyone has concentrated on the electrical and RFI aspects of the wire in an arm, but nobody has mentioned mechanical or piezo.

There was mention, but you do well to mention it again, and at further length. Thanks. (see my last sentence above)

Everyone has concentrated on the electrical and RFI aspects of the wire in an arm, but nobody has mentioned mechanical or piezo. So I will.

You want thin multi-strand carefully-dressed wire in order not to impede the arm's movement. Test the friction of an arm with and without wiring. On a good (low friction) arm, it's really difficult to keep that low friction once the wiring is in.

The dressing is important because you don't want arm movement to cause the wires to be dragged over a surface (or worse, an edge). So a low friction insulator would be good, like PTFE. Which brings us to...

Piezo-electricity. PTFE suffers from the piezo-electric effect. Bend it and electrons move to develop a charge. Moving coil cartridges are such low impedance sources that they should shunt this charge so effectively that the voltage developed would be negligible. That might not be true for moving magnets.

Oh, and for those wondering why I advocated multi-strand, single strand breaks. My first arms were wired with thin enamelled copper wire but it didn't take long before the wire snapped.

So how 'bout a nice litz wire and no jacketing?

1n34a.com has some 20/44 litz (31 gauge equivalent) with a single nylon serve. The only drawback is you really should use a good solder pot when dealing with litz wire.

se

Steve,
I've seen you reference that wire for tonearms before, do you know anyone who has used it or compared it to Cardas 33ga. ? Most other web forums on the "Net" seems to think that Cardas litz is the standard for copper. Just trying to bring this thread back to terms most of us less informed folks can comprehend. F5 is alive and doing well! Thanks!!!

So,
Sy, what wire is in your tonearms now, and why?

Ron

Sy, what wire is in your tonearms now, and why?

Inside the tonearm? Whatever came with it- as I mentioned in the phono preamp article, I was too chicken to do surgery. From the arm to the preamp, shielded CAT-5, for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread- balance, shielding, low R. Silver would even be nicer (slightly lower R, great solderability), but I have a mortgage to pay.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
So how 'bout a nice litz wire and no jacketing?

Well, I suppose you could identify the individual conductors in a Litzendraht wire and use them for individual signals. Never really considered it previously.

To amplify pooge's comment, balanced is about impedances; the impedances to earth must be equal from each leg. So it's not just stray capacitances, it's also leakage resistance and inductance.

can I please ask people's opinions on whether tone-arm wire quality really matters?

And you don't realise the futility of such a question? A length of Cardas tonearm wire together with a set of nice clips costs less than an average lunch. Why don't you just try it for yourself? No surgery required for a test as you can simply cellotape the wire to the arm tube. If you hear no worthwhile improvement you can certainly recoup at least half of your expense by selling it.

Well, I suppose you could identify the individual conductors in a Litzendraht wire and use them for individual signals. Never really considered it previously.

I wasn't suggesting using a single litz bundle for everything, but rather four separate litz bundles. And more specifically, made up of very fine strands such as the 44 gauge used in the 20/44 litz that 1n34a sells.

I suggested it due to its extreme flexibility vis a vis impeding the arm's movement. The combination of ultra fine stranding and the ultra fine nylon "floss" that's served over the wire to keep it together gives much greater flexibility than you'll get with an extruded plastic insulation.

se

Hi there,

the potential next step for me would be to consider a tone-arm upgrade. These are rather pricey. Moreover, there is a school of thought that suggests that the biggest problem of the Technics arm is the cheap quality wiring in and this has got me thinking that maybe I should try that first.

can I please ask people's opinions on whether tone-arm wire quality really matters?

Thanks,
Nikos

This is where definitions and implementations can cause confusion. To some, Tonearm wire is the wire inside the tonearm. To others, Tonearm wire has the same meaning as interconnects. Still, to confuse matters even more they can be the same thing. (which seems to be the preferred option) Now, I think we all can agree the connection between the turntable and the preamp / receiver should be shielded, also to my limited knowledge by design of the MC / MM the 2 pairs of wires from the cartridge are balanced......more or less from the factory.
So, this discussion does indeed come down to "Do cables make a difference"?
It would seem important with such low mVs being transported, that the lower the resistance and inductance the better.
Should different wire types be used inside the tonearm than outside the tonearm? With a run as short as possible between the turntable and the Preamp / Receiver. Either by removing the shielding prior to entering the tonearm or connecting different wire types near the plinth exit. Which is better? Why?
Which brings us back to tone-arm wire quality, anyone actually try different brands / styles? This is subjective opinion of course, but isn't that what it all boils down to in the end, our own unique preferences?

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.