diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

Ok....one more and I will leave you alone:

By all surfaces do you include the port cavity area, i.e., outer cabinet wall and inner wall that forms the port canal on each side? As you know this is a narrow cavity.

Glad to hear cotton felt is acceptable; I have been struggeling unsuccessfully to find wool felt. Cotton felt 3/8" or 10mm thick is also known as "bump" in the upholstery business and is plentiful, widely available and cheap.

Thanks again Dave,

Ray

Fonken cont'd

They are mules and will be rebuilt for better cosmetics if they continue to improve.

I treated the frames with duct seal and glued a felt puck on the back of the magnets. I found the felt at HD...two 4"x 6 1/2" squares 1/4" thick for about $3.00. This made a dramatic change. I will pick up the damar ( $9.00 for 2 1/4 oz. ?!) this weekend at the art supply shop. The Modge Podge was purchased at Michaels last week so I will finish the mods this weekend.

Ray

Re: Fonken cont'd

Ray Collins said:

They are mules and will be rebuilt for better cosmetics if they continue to improve.

I treated the frames with duct seal and glued a felt puck on the back of the magnets. I found the felt at HD...two 4"x 6 1/2" squares 1/4" thick for about $3.00. This made a dramatic change. I will pick up the damar ( $9.00 for 2 1/4 oz. ?!) this weekend at the art supply shop. The Modge Podge was purchased at Michaels last week so I will finish the mods this weekend.

Ray

Mules. Good one.

I've been building up a considerable amount of scrap
and want to make a mule of the longer Fonken.

These will prob'ly weigh a ton but the glue up pieces
will be fairly easy to glue and trim.

Where in this long thread are the drawings and measures
for the long Fonken?

loninappleton

I don't remember which post has the plans for the long version but I am sure that Dave could direct you....Dave?

Jeff

You could be right....I looked at a textured finish while at Hobby Lobby earlier today. Also my wife's grandson has already hinted that he likes the Fonkens "as is"....so....

Another comment on the Damar Varnish. I found it at Hobby Lobby under the Grumbacher brand for $4.99 (2 1/2 oz.) and the clerk gave me a coupon for 40% off. It is scarry but it made me identify with me wife's favorite shopping comment...." look how much money I saved". Oh well... I am off to the shop to treat the cones.

Ray

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Fonken cont'd

loninappleton said:
Where in this long thread are the drawings and measures
for the long Fonken?

The BiFonken plans are in the Box Plan Library, and the alternative shaped Fonkens are in a thread on the Full Range Forum... i'll dig them out and post them & then i guess i should get the Fonken parts of this thread split off into their own thread.

dave

Fonken Cones

This is one of the cones after I treated it with Damar and Mod Poge. I used Kiwi black sole and heel dressing to thin the Mod Poge at a ratio of 1 to 1. The color was a very dark grey...almost black...much like a divorce lawyers heart. I applied it with a #5 flat artists brush in a radial pattern. The second coat was thinned with water at about a 1 to 1 ratio which made it flow better for a much smoother finish.
The results were profound. Gone is the harsh edge and shout. It matched the degree of change I experienced with the felt puck and duct seal on the frame treatment. My wife even noticed the changes and remarked how clear they sounded and how much bass they had for such a small speaker.
Thanks Dave....

Ray

Re: Re: Re: Fonken cont'd

planet10 said:

The BiFonken plans are in the Box Plan Library, and the alternative shaped Fonkens are in a thread on the Full Range Forum... i'll dig them out and post them & then i guess i should get the Fonken parts of this thread split off into their own thread.

dave

I'm familiar with the full range driver forum but did
not see or recall plans in the 'gallery' they have.

So anything you can repost would be good. No rush.
I'm trying to complete a BIB to see how that works.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FlatFonken (meant to fit in a tombstone style box.

Attachments

• flat-fonken-concept.gif
    flat-fonken-concept.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,926